Welcome to PatsFans.com

Honeymoon With Jug Ears Is It Over-?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

2. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

3. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

Obama is still vastly more popular than the GOP and/or its leaders in Congress.

What does that tell you?

4. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You are a KOOL-AID drinker and a blind follower. His poll number is dropping every day.

5. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

Actually, that just isn't true. But since you make it your duty to misinterpret/make stuff up around these parts, it doesn't surprise me that you would think so.

And thank you for, once again, not even addressing the point.

6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The elections we've had since Obama took office do not support your contention that Obama is "vastly more popular than the GOP." Barack Obama could be the best thing to happen to the GOP since Reagan.

7. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

Individual elections are not a referendum on the overall popularity, or lack thereof, of the GOP.

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah. And individual football games are not a referendum on who is a better team.

You comments are spoken like a true fan of the side who has been losing those elections. Can't wait until November!

9. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

No, they're spoken as someone who understands politics and doesn't rely on oversimplifications to make an (erroneous) "point."

There is little doubt that the GOP will make advances in November (for a myriad of reasons, some structural, some historical, some circumstantial). I never claimed otherwise. But to consider the reasons for said advances involves much more than the relative popularity of the actors in question.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, but we're not just talking about "making advances" which is typical for the party out of power during off-year elections. We're talking about extraordinary events such as the first Republican being elected to the Senate from Massachusetts since 1972 - and in the Kennedy seat, no less.

But you keep telling yourself how Obama is so much more popular than the GOP. Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

11. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +651 / 6 / -9

Like I said during the campaign, someone like Capuano would have mopped the floor with Brown. And there, again, is another absolutely critical factor that would need to be considered when analyzing the outcome of political races.

Well, there's really no utility in comparing an individual's popularity with the popularity of an entire party.

But for the sake of argument:

According to the R2K tracking poll, Obama is more popular than the GOP (53% versus 33%). Likewise, Obama is more popular than either Boehner (20%) or McConnell (21%).

According to Fox News, Obama would handily beat Romney, Palin, or Ron Paul were an election held today.

Congressional Democrats, and Congress in general is very unpopular, as well they should be. But Obama's popularity has much less to do with the policies he's proposing as it does with the state of the economy. If anything, it's really remarkable he's as popular as he is, which is underscored by examining public opinion during Ronald Reagan's terms in office.

12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, that's what everyone was saying about Coakley too. Until the actual election that is :rofl:
    See you on election day, Jack. Then we'll see just who's more popular.

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

For God sake read the news, this Obama character is destroying the country financially and he will probably be the cause of fighting in the streets before he's done, he's a hundred times worse than Jimmy Carter and thats going some.

The Bush policys (wars gitmo etc) are all still where Bush left them and now Obama is creating his own horror show on top of them but by God he's still got a "beautiful smile" and he stil gives Chris Matthews "Leg Orgasms"

14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What honeymoon?

I'll be shocked if it ever comes to pass that one of our typical neo-cons actually straps a set on and admits that from day one all he wanted to do was block whatever Obama had in mind.

Republicans get a fair shake from Democrats. As evidence I present the Shrub's approval numbers right up until he screwed up Katrina. Democrats don't get the same in return from Republicans.

Obama never got a honeymoon from Republicans. From the beginning it was nothing more than a raised middle finger from that crowd.

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am not a neo-con, but I will gladly admit that was the case for me. I knew what his agenda would be from day 1, I knew his agenda was bad for America, and I gladly present myself as someone who was hoping from the very start he would fail at advancing his agenda because it would be horrible for the country.
    Want some cheese with that whine? :rofl: :rofl:

Don't blame Republicans because you nominated and then elected the single most divisive, polarizing political figure in recent American history. The voting public is waking up and realizing the failure that is Barack Obama. See you in November!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,054 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

DumbAzzed Americans ...

anyone who paid attention to American government class in school would already know that our President is but one piece of our government. But every 4 years we get some blowhard promising the world (with our money) to us ... and we get swept up in the emotion and we vote the person in.

Then ... that person gets schooled on what and who really run this country. Rather than blame ourselves we turn on the guy ... shouting that he betrayed us.

A vicious cycle that will be replayed in 2012 - 2016 - 2020 ... :bricks:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Just like you knew the Shrub would be a uniter and not a divider and would never engage in nation building and that he'd surround himself with smart people like Michael Brown...

The only thing you knew when Obama had won was that your way of thinking led this nation to ruin and the only way it would ever have any prominence again is by making sure that every effort to clean up YOUR mess was blocked.

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 11 / -27

The only thing that seems to remain constant is Congress.. probably can never change the constitution, but most of these dudes and dudettes have been feeding from the trough of K Street for way too long.. and are not all that in touch with their constituency i.e. the real world.

19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Thats right there was no honeymoon, they knew what Obama was and Obama proved them right, right off the bat, the honemoon I speak of was with his fawning politically correct Groupies and now even they are having second thoughts, they aren't wearing his Tee Shirts anymore, even the Professional Bush Hater Jon Stewart is having second thoughts about "The Messiah"