PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honestly, who's better: Pats or Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe the patriots due to a lot of injuries against colts... but the colts seems to be like the "old patriots", winning patched-up lineup...

I give the Pats the edge. Obviously we all say it's really decided on the field. You can say, "the Pats are playing better right now," and make a better case than for "the Colts are playing better right now."

Too close to make one a prohibitive favorite over the other. It is close.

By the way, we're looking past the other undefeated team, the Cowboys. Nobody is going to walk up and give us that game either.

PFnV

HMMMMM Lets see....

The Colts are the defending champs - Correct?
The Colts are 5-0 and have not been beaten since the last regular season game in 2006 correct?

That means the Colts are the best team in the NFL until proven otherwise which means until/if they lose the day of or week(s) before they play New England.

Until then New England is #2 until NE beats them or the Colts lose but of course that means New England cannot lose either.

I honestly believe the Patriots are 10+ points better than the Colts. I could be wrong. We'll see in November.

This game is all on Brady. Manning will get his points. Brady needs 3 or 4 time consuming drives to keep his defense fresh. 3 and outs by Brady and the Patriots go down.

I know this is taboo but: I still worry about the way our secondary couldn't keep up in the AFCCG last year.

The current secondary bears almost no resemblance to the secondary in the AFCCG, and neither does the D-Line. Or the LB corps, for that matter.

Honestly? We won't know until next month.
But two things I really like about this year's Colts:
1. They're the champs and have only gotten better.
2. They've played tougher opponents than the Pats.

So we'll see come November, but I like our odds.

This is the best rivalry in sports, we're lucky to be a part of it.

Honestly? We won't know until next month.
But two things I really like about this year's Colts:
1. They're the champs and have only gotten better.
2. They've played tougher opponents than the Pats.

So we'll see come November, but I like our odds.

This is the best rivalry in sports, we're lucky to be a part of it.

The Colts have played tougher opponents than the Pats :eek:

Thats funny dude.

The Colts have played tougher opponents than the Pats :eek:

Thats funny dude.

I think he meant they've played tougher opponents than the Pats have played.

I think the pats are better. They're more balanced w/ talent than the colts. The colts basically just depend on a couple key players (Harrison,Manning,Wayne,Addai,Sanders,) Sanders basically fuels their entire defense
Although this was true last season, I feel it is less so this year. The entire team is quicker and hits harder. Sure, we want him in there, but they can perform at a high level without him.

I think the Patriots get a very slight edge here, but that's only because I'm still not a believer in postseason payton manning. If the Pats weren't playing their JV squad at LB in the second half, the big story would have been another Peyton Manning choke.

I think we're talking 49ers/Boys here. It's close, could go either way. It's exciting, is what it is.
What was the excuse last Nov at the razor?

What was the excuse last Nov at the razor?
If you know so much about football, please enlighten us all on the Patriots injuries in the defensive secondary during that game.

This game is all on Brady. Manning will get his points. Brady needs 3 or 4 time consuming drives to keep his defense fresh. 3 and outs by Brady and the Patriots go down.

Well said. If the pats win, it will be because Tom and the offense controlled the game. Which they're quite capable of doing.

It's gonna be a barn burner, thats for sure.:D

If you know so much about football, please enlighten us all on the Patriots injuries in the defensive secondary during that game.
Well, Marvin is a beast. Sorry he dislocated Rodney's shoulder by placing Rodney's hand in his facemask. Geesh, Marvin should have been flagged for that. Who else was injured that game??

I'm not sure who is better. Don't care really. Does anyone? Really. We spend lots of time on this board devoted to this question. It's interesting when talking about player v. player, slightly. But it doesn't have any meaning to me otherwise.

If you want to talk about who will win the game, that's what I care about.

In fact, I'd be happy to let Indy be "better" if we get one more point. Is it any solace to anyone ever that their team is good enough to win 8 of 10 against an opponent if they lose to that opponent on Sunday?

Disregarding the fact that you are a patriots fan, honestly who do you think is a better team?

Let's see. The Colts team that edged the Pats in the AFC Championship game has:

lost LT Tarik Glenn
lost RB D. Rhodes
lost LB Morris
lost LB Cato June
lost CB Harper
lost CB David
lost DT Booger McFarlend

While that Patriots' team has:

added WR Randy Moss
added WR Wes Welker
added WR Stallworth
added LB Thomas
added CB Randall Gay
added S Rodney Harrison

I don't know, I guess it's the Colts who are better like so many of their fans are saying..........................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pats get the edge on defence.
Both offenses are just as dangerous.
If freeney is in the game our odds if winning go up 5-10 percent.

patriots :
Deep pass,
short pass,
running game,
stop the run
stop the pass

colts :
Deep pass
short pass
running game
slow the pass
can't stop the run

The Patriots. Defense matters.

Agreed. However I think the Colts may actually have a better shot at the top seed going into the playoffs. Both teams could very likely go 14 - 2 and if Indy wins the head to head game, they're #1. The Patriots bye week comes right after that game so any injuries that put a player out for a game or two that would have otherwise been able to heal during a week off could have a huge impact on that game.

Indy's division foes aren't as comically inept as the AFC East, but being aligned with the pitiful NFC South makes up for it. I don't think anyone expects the Falcons or Panthers to have any chance of beating them. The AFC West is garbage this year too.

Overall the division alignments that amount to 8 games work in Indy's favor, while the Patriots have a better expectation of getting six wins out of their own division. I think it's safe to say either way that whoever wins the game between them is likely to be the #1 seed.

Getting at least the second playoff BYE is what matters. They can win on the road if they are healthy, and the best way to stay healthy is to avoid being in situation where you have to press in December (was it worth losing Harrison in that game against the Titans?) and then play a wild card game.

I know this is taboo but: I still worry about the way our secondary couldn't keep up in the AFCCG last year

Hobbs and Samuel did a commendable job last year. It was the linebackers sucking wind that caused such a ridiculous defensive collapse in the second half. If Seau is still in the rotation and with Thomas being so versatile, they shouldn't have that problem this time around if people stay healthy.

I'm just hoping against hope that some sort of short term injuries aren't sustained in the next few weeks that could have benefitted from a bye week. It's nice to know the Pats can put up 30 now like it's a bodily function but that isn't enough if the defense is missing people.

Last edited:
"....but I think this year the Pats finally have the proper weapons in place to compete with Indy. The Colts are going to score points....that's a given with their high-powered offense. A good defense can LIMIT them, but not sure any team can shut them down completely. I think the Pats D is playing well enough thus far to certainly limit their Offense, and perhaps more importantly, NE now has the offensive fire-power to keep up with Indy's scoring. This is your year. The Colts definitely looked much improved against the run, but they don't have the answers for your weapons in the passing game."

I actually quoted myself from another thread here. Just my 2 cents....from a Steelers fan BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back