PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honest question for Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Going into this free agency period most writers and fans basically said Givens was a goner, that he will price himself out of the Patriots price range. People use the the logic that you can't spend to much w/ Koppen, wilson, Samual, branch, and Seymour coming up F/A. But whose to say those guys won't price themselves out of the Patriots price tag. Will we be on here next year saying we can't sign Koppen, Wilson, Branch etc. because contracts for Wilfork, Warren, and watson will be coming up in a few years.

Debate

Well..I don't think the logic you are talking about is the problem...with Givens, it is if he is paid x...Branch will start out at x+?? to start...so that is a special reason why it is particularly hard. And to me Seymour is a special case...He's a player that I think they need to sign..and with FA and the amounts this year..it may be hard to resign him. I would rather they take care of those 2 than sign Givens. Wouldn't you?? If there was a choice...that is. Koppen may be headed to Phily in any event..and I don't know about all the others...

For one...you can bet that next years future FA class as well as future FA's still on the bubble to be cut have been factored in. Koppen, Koppen's replace FA or Draftee is already factored in ...bet on it.

R_T26 said:
Going into this free agency period most writers and fans basically said Givens was a goner, that he will price himself out of the Patriots price range. People use the the logic that you can't spend to much w/ Koppen, wilson, Samual, branch, and Seymour coming up F/A. But whose to say those guys won't price themselves out of the Patriots price tag. Will we be on here next year saying we can't sign Koppen, Wilson, Branch etc. because contracts for Wilfork, Warren, and watson will be coming up in a few years.

Debate

Well, you are confusing things, R_T.

1) Koppen, Seymour, Branch, and Graham are key cogs to this team. They all come up NEXT year. Samuel isn't as big of a cog. Wilson's contract isn't due until acter the 2007/2008 season. Warren's contract is due until after the 2008/ 2009 seasons. Wilfork and Watson don't become free agents until the spring of 2010.

2) The difference is that there is only a small climb NEXT year (7 million) compared to the HUGE climbe that occured this year (17 million).

That is why people are saying that you have to look at BOTH years this time around. Because the raise is so small next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes