PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honest Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I don't know how many agree with me, but I am losing zero sleep over the Patriots not going the route of so many of these teams and overpaying. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Willie M. the player and person.

But, these $4M, $5M, $6M, and $7M per year contracts for players that are not the best of the best is completely ludicrous.

I live near Washington D.C., until last year, the Redskins, would empty the vaults overpaying all these free agents, and then would not make the playoffs. You'd think they'd learn from their mistakes. Yet, here they are paying Adam Archaletta, $5M a year for a safety who's never even made a Pro Bowl. They signed a third string receiver to star receiver money.

Hey, we all love David Givens, but has he ever played a full season? Has he ever made a Pro Bowl, or even been an alternate? I don't think so. He was the Patriots 2nd receiver. The Titans are paying almost $5M a season for that? Good luck to them.

Two seasons ago, when several "important" players bolted for other teams, the Patriots simply went out and won another Super Bowl. The Ted Washington's and Damian Woody's of the world were watching the game on T.V.

Congrats to the players for landing the huge contracts, but please don't blast the Patriots for doing things the same way they did leading up to each of their 3 Super Bowl Championships. It's a model that other teams aren't following, and while their fans are excited now, I'd rather be a Patriot fan that's excited at the end of the Super Bowl.

Totally agree. In addition, the past two years the Patriots used more starters (due to injuries) then anyone in league history and still were able to win. That wasn't a coincidence.

scout said:
Totally agree. In addition, the past two years the Patriots used more starters (due to injuries) then anyone in league history and still were able to win. That wasn't a coincidence.

Great point Scout. If you sign #2 Wide Receivers to $5M/year contracts, your depth elsewhere is going to lack.

It all comes out in the wash...teams overpay and..whether they can ever mesh as a team..well that doesn't seem to matter..with depth lacking and injuries always part of the game..poor play is just a few twisted ankles away...It happens and the way the Patriots org runs things is the best way...

Last edited:
Bostonian1962 said:
I don't know how many agree with me, but I am losing zero sleep over the Patriots not going the route of so many of these teams and overpaying. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Willie M. the player and person.

But, these $4M, $5M, $6M, and $7M per year contracts for players that are not the best of the best is completely ludicrous.

I live near Washington D.C., until last year, the Redskins, would empty the vaults overpaying all these free agents, and then would not make the playoffs. You'd think they'd learn from their mistakes. Yet, here they are paying Adam Archaletta, $5M a year for a safety who's never even made a Pro Bowl. They signed a third string receiver to star receiver money.

Hey, we all love David Givens, but has he ever played a full season? Has he ever made a Pro Bowl, or even been an alternate? I don't think so. He was the Patriots 2nd receiver. The Titans are paying almost $5M a season for that? Good luck to them.

Two seasons ago, when several "important" players bolted for other teams, the Patriots simply went out and won another Super Bowl. The Ted Washington's and Damian Woody's of the world were watching the game on T.V.

Congrats to the players for landing the huge contracts, but please don't blast the Patriots for doing things the same way they did leading up to each of their 3 Super Bowl Championships. It's a model that other teams aren't following, and while their fans are excited now, I'd rather be a Patriot fan that's excited at the end of the Super Bowl.
Well said.

Amen to that!

Bostonian1962 said:

Totally agree. nice post.

Bostonian1962 said:

I agree, and well put, Bostonian!
How could Willie turn down such a great offer? I would have been ticked off if the Pats did match it. I'm much happier with the Pats policy of spreading the wealth as much as possible!
We've all been aware for quite awhile that our LB's as a group are very old by NFL standards. It's hard to move on from our favorite players but Willie did well in NE for 12yrs, and now he's cashed in on NE's winning seasons, truly a win/win!

Bostonian1962 said:

the loss of Willie is terrible, emotionally, for me but i agree with you totally on yr good post; well said bostonian1962.

Ian or one of the Mods can we please make this a sticky?

Outstanding post Bostonian!

I'm like a Jew following Moses through the dessert. I've seen him part the Red Sea and that's enough for me. I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and see what the old guy pulls out of his hat.

No second guessing and cavorting with false idols for this guy.

Amen

You are on the mark

Bostonian,

Couldn't (and didn't), say it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back