PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Honest Assessment of AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker83 said:
Where are you guys getting the "aging Miami Defense"?

Heres the facts:
1. Last year miami had the oldest average age defense in the league starting the season. Opening day roster was:
DL: Jason taylor, Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor, Kevin Carter
LB: Junior Seau, Zach Thomas, Channing Crowder
DB: Tebucky Jones, Lance schulters, Sam Madison and Reggie Howard...

Pretty much an old group...But it's not like this anymore...Miami's D is now same as the average of the league..the only old part of the unit is the D-line..but we now have young talent behind them. Projected starting line-up for this year:
DL: Jason Taylor 31,Vonnie Holliday 30, Keith Traylor 36, Kevin Carter 32
LB: Sedrick Hodge 27, Zach Thomas 32, Channing Crowder 22
DB: Will Allen 27, Travis Daniels 23, Jason Allen 22, Renaldo Hill 27

Average age of unit last year: 30.18
Average age of unit this year: 28.09

That right there looks like a nice blend of youth and experience...

So who's defense is really aging?
Pats projected starters:
DL Warren, Wilfork, Seymour
LB, Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Beisel
DB. Samuel, Gay, Harrison, Wilson
Average age as of opening day: 27.68

Basically a difference of .41 years or 5 months... Where as the pats have a young DL the fins have a young secondary. It is widely known DL players can go into their mid 30's while secondary players and LB's start their decline in their early thirties...And even more shocking is that if Traylor is cut and anyone under the age of 27 takes over our averages are identical...

So please get off that defense is old thing... This is not the same D you guys saw last year...

Nice post, but based on your post, it appears your DL is old, and your DBs are inexperienced. Not at all a good combination.

Summary: Per your post, overall age isn't as big a problem for the Phins as is the FIVE new starters on the D.

PlattsFan said:
2002. The sight of Anthony Pleasant getting blasted 7 yards off the ball every play still haunts me.

As for this year, the Pats are clearly the class of the division, and it's not particularly close. There are two main places where sports writers get fooled, and they are both at work in predicting the Fins even close to the Pats. First, they always over-value a second-half run by a mediocre team, like the Dolphins went on. Yes, it's nice to see a team improve over the year, and I'm impressed by Saban. But there's always more luck and schedule vagaries involved in situations like that than people give credit for. The Dolphins were a .500 team last year, and they're a fringy playoff team this year, probably. The second factor is that sports writers always overvalue marquee free agency. Single players don't make the huge difference, unless they are truly core players (on the Pats, that's Brady, Seymour, Bruschi, Harrison, and maybe Dillon). Givens was a nice player, and the Pats are a little thin at WR, but he's vastly overvalued in his new contract. Willie McG is a good guy and a nice contributor, but he wasn't core ("locker-room influence" is also overrated on a team like the Pats). Vinatieri ... he was the kicker. He was a great kicker, but that's like a baseball team having a great middle-reliever. Nice, but not all that big a deal in the end.

The Bills stink, and I have a bad feeling about Mr. Mangini's readiness to assume the top dog mantle (think Belichick in Cleveland, only less experienced and in the NY media market).

Of course, anything can happen with injuries, etc, but the Pats are the clear favorites in the division and one of 2-4 teams that can win it all from the AFC.

You're overvaluing the kicker with that analogy. I think I'd go with pinch hitter, not middle relief.

I think Miami is going to be a good team this year. They have the potential to be a great team, but IMO they are missing one key ingredient, a great QB. Harrington and Culpepper do not have the leadership qualities needed to be great QB's. Culpepper can be a great passer, but his turnovers and inconsistent play are two huge factors in his overall performance. Harrington is a toilet.

This is a scary team with a great QB.

Welker83, you mentioned Mularkey changing the TE roll away from the H-Back roll. How do you think this is going to effect McMichael, since really he excels at the H-back roll but cant really block worth a crap?

Welker83 said:
So now my Predictions:

Jets: This will be a rough start of the year and prolly a better ending. They are switching all the systems and are doing it with a lot of player up heavel. OL rookies are very talented but will be prone to gaffs early in the season. The most shocking thing is that they will come into the season with both their QB, and RB coming of injuries.. it is entirely possible that chad will never be the same but early reports say he is ahead of last year as he had the surgery earlier and has had more time to re-hab. Another huge gap is their Defensive line and lb's situation with the switch to a 3-4...Overall i see them finishing third, but not challenging for the division...

No QB has ever returned to pre injury form after suffering 2 labrum injuries. Even Chad was a little down on his chances this week. He won't see the field unless they carry Patrick Ramsey off it - which is still entirely possible. And then there is the matter of Noodle's pre injury form...

Bills: This will be a very rough year. They have arguably the worst DL's and OL's in the league...and if your foundation is shaky so will your team. It apears they are preparing for some shoot-outs cause they have some speedters ar WR...Price, Evans, Davis, Parrish...Perhaps the fastest bunch in the league..and they will need to be fast cause their O-line will give up sacks! The QB situation looks like a re-run of the sureal life- The mediocre vetran, the ****y Youngster, the dimwit who thinks he's good, and the Camp arm... RB- until Willis shows he has that second gear again he will NEVER be the best back inthe league...i see the bills as bad as 2-14 and as good as 5-11....

On this we seem to basically agree. I think even Bills fans would sadly.

Fins: Lots of changes this year... In now are 2 new fomrmer head coaches but without their systems. It will be interesting to see how they adapt to calling plays they did not design...it could be good, or it could be bad. Gone is ricky so this will be a marquee yer for ronnie brown. the biggest question is can he carry the load and who will back him up. The front runner is Sammy moris with his career 4.0 carry avg followed by possibly Kay Jay Harris, or travis minor. The FB will be better used with the pick-up of Fred Beasley. TE's have been revamped considerably as mularkey has switched them from the H-back mold to the True TE mold. Justin Peele will be an excellent compliment to Randy. OL was a HUGE surprise last year..they cut their sacks down by almost 50%...all of the starters return but their is much more depth this year. Center is the biggest question mark.... Lb's are fine except sor the SLB...Saban really wants a dominant pass rush guy to take some pressure off JT on the opposite side. Unluckily yhere are only some mediocre guys with Hiodge, Spragan, and Newman- No defense will plan for any of these guys. Expect the Fins to try and pick up a LB in the suplemental Draft. Secondary is a complete different unit, but there is a lot more talent and depth this year. Gone are the PS scrubs and in come the VETS Renaldo hill, deke Copper, Will allen, Jason allen (R), and returing from injury Will poole... All the players here fit sabans mold and have talent. If they can gel they should be able to improve the pass defense that was lit up by the likes of Brooks Bollinger, Holcombe and losman... Mare was back to his old form last yeat, and Donnie Jones was a pleasant surprise as one of the best punter last year (12th in gross, 3rd in net) And the biggest gain is at QB with Daunte Culpepper and Joey Harrington. As of now it appears Daunte will play vs pittsburg. At the recent mini camp daunte was Running, scrambling, throwing, jumping on loose balls and even punting with his bad leg! This Guy is a freak of nature! no one is supposed to be able to come cack this quick from a triple ligament tear. Before the camp the general thought was Daunte may come in aound week 3...Now after doing 2 a days with no setbacks it appears he will be ready for pre-season. Add in the fact that since the fins kept Linehans system and he doesn't have to learn anything new Daunte should hopefully return to his 2004 or 2004 form...

The two HC's running their predecessor's systems is pretty telling. Linnehan couldn't wait to exit Miami, and these two will be right behind him quietly pointing the finger at Saban if they fail with one hand tied behind their backs. If you view Culpepper (let alone Joey) as anything more than a consolation prize (Saban would have much preferred Brees but the shoulder was scarier than Daunte's knee) Nick grasped for in desperation you are in full rose colored classes mode. Daunte is not a leader. He's also not a prolific talent minus a freak like Randy Moss strapping him on his back. He doesn't accept responsibility or deal well with criticism, so a rough start could derail the entire experiment. It's easy to look good in mini camp drills. Rodney probably could have too but BB never panics and takes the long view where a rehabbing valuable asset is concerned. If Daunte starts the opener he likely won't face Ben, but then he never does - he'll face the Steelers D which is quite different from what he is facing in mini camp or will face in TC.

Pats: Pats had a Bad FA outing But had an EXCELLENT draft. I see the pats bringing in a vetran qb to be the 2 or 3 guy..cassel is coming along great so QB is not a worry. WR is the most deficient area right now. Branch is holding out, Brown is aging, Reche caldwell only has had one good season, and historically Rookie WR do not produce for 2-3 years...TE situation is exclellent and depth is much improved with the new rookies. OL didn't lose much and is a young group with good depth. The developent of the talent should easily outgain the loss the FA. RB depth is much better. If dillon can get rid of his injury bug from last year it should allow the pats to be more balanced. This is especially important with the WR situation.... Defensive line is greath. the only lacking part is depth at NT. LB is a question. If beilsel can step up and allow Vrabel to move back outisde then the unit should be fine. If not then expect to see some more 4-3 looks to get better production. There are three LB's in the supplemental draft and the pats should be in the thick of it. Secondary will be an area of concern. Mainly because the unit as a whole has not been able to stay healthy for years. Kicking will be a question mark, but its not that bad. BB likes to go for it when the team is on the other side of the 50 so generally it means kickers don't have to go for anything more than 43 yards. Either of the guys should be an upgrade on the kickoff over AV. Punting is excellent.

I don't think the Pats had a bad FA outing so much as it was a piss poor FA crop by and large. Branch is holding out early, he won't be AWOL late because he has no leverage. And as Brady says it's not like they don't already have this dance down pretty good. Jackson doesn't have to produce like a stud to be successful in his rookie season here - he just has to produce similar to what Givens provided. And even do that in tandem with Caldwell. And Troy Brown is aging like a fine wine. Check out Jerome Solomon's piece on that in today's Boston Globe. We may be thin at WR, but we have a QB who can adapt to and work with whatever BB throws at him, including two intriguing TE's and an intriguing rookie TE. Dillon and Maroney project at this point at least as well as Williams and Brown did last season. And we can add to that with Faulk and either Pass or the best projected FB in the draft. On defense if we only play as well as we did late last season we will be fine. I think we will be better with Beisel playing Will beside Bruschi's Mike from day 1, and Colvin and Vrabel manning the outside. Not to minimize Willie's loss but Colvin was intended to eventually replace him before he was injured. DL is not a problem, it's a real strength. The secondary will be better even if they don't reel in Ty Law because Belichick will have had an offseason to coach it up. Hobbs is a talent, Samuel is in his contract year, Warfield represents veteran depth, and if Gay can get back on the field it's a bonus. Rodney will return whether out of the gate or off the bye. Kicking will be adequate even without projecting improvements from guys who have never kicked in these elements. The best approach to improving the odds is to eliminate the need for clutch kicks to the greatest extent possible by converting on 3rd and 4th downs, and I think that is another reason Maroney was drafted.

Overall on paper the teams are almost Neck and Neck. As of now i'm calling it a tie....Hey calm down! When you start playing chess both players have the same amount of pieces...it's what the chessmasters do that determine the outcome...I expect to see some real chess matches now that the firepower has been evened out. Goodluck all!

Overall on paper the teams aren't even in the same area code unless you are determined to talk yourself into it. Which is what many in the media are doing. It is not only what the chess masters do with the pieces, it's the quality and talent of those pieces. It's checkmate before you get past QB.

Richter said:
You're overvaluing the kicker with that analogy. I think I'd go with pinch hitter, not middle relief.

Actually you're undervaluing the kicker because of the particular kicker we lost and the way we lost him and where he landed. The analogy here is closer, and we can only hope that by the time the post season rolls around Gostkowski has morphed into Pappelbon. And we're not stuck with Gramatica emulating Foulke. ;)

My apologies for the baseball analogy in a football thread :rolleyes: but then I didn't start down that road.....

My prediction?

It will be Ralph Wilson standing on the podium in Miami come February.

:D

hughthehand said:
I think Miami is going to be a good team this year. They have the potential to be a great team, but IMO they are missing one key ingredient, a great QB. Harrington and Culpepper do not have the leadership qualities needed to be great QB's. Culpepper can be a great passer, but his turnovers and inconsistent play are two huge factors in his overall performance. Harrington is a toilet.

This is a scary team with a great QB.

Welker83, you mentioned Mularkey changing the TE roll away from the H-Back roll. How do you think this is going to effect McMichael, since really he excels at the H-back roll but cant really block worth a crap?

Mcmike is a more traditional TE... When he came into the league his blocking skills were none to great at all. But if you check the tape you will see that his blocking last year was on another level completely. By the end of the season he was staying in more to block thatn he was going out to catch a pass. The media asked Mcmike about it and he said that our O-line Guy Hudson Houck (HH) came up to him and started to ask him about his blocking. He told randy he was concernered so he convinced saban to have randy practice with the O-line guys every week. Randy said it was the first time anyone had coached him to block and taught him the fundamentals. And trust me...check the tape...by the end of the year Randy had gone from a sub-par blocker to an above average guy...

As to the H-backs and TE's i'm confident it will help. The biggest reason we were using H-backs was becasue our Full-back couldn't catch anything, but it was more important that he block. When we got Beasley it gave us a real pass catcher out of the backfield coupled with a good lead blocker. Also it let us get rid of our Tweeners we were collecting (generally 6'2" 260 lbs..halfway between a FB and a TE)

Though i will admit Mularkey's committment to the TE is suspect... in pitt he didn't rely on them and in buffalo he promised every year but never delivered.

As to mcmike it depends how the game is called offensivley. When culpepper is allowed to take his down field shots it stretches the defense. It's not commonly known but culpepper has a 70%+ completion percentage in the short and intermediate routes. Last year the vikings stopped taking shots down the field and the tighter defense was jumping all his routes when the viking D put them in the hole. He was also able to get career numbers out of Kleinsausser, and wiggins...both of whom are not on randy's level from a reciever standpoint..

So after all that: Randy's recieving numbers should actually be better because he will do less lead blocking, Culpepper usses hit TE's as a security blanket so that will help, and the O-line as a whole should be a better unit and require less max protection packages freeing randy to go out on routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan so i'll always have some rose in my glasses, last year my prediction for the fins was 7-9 this year i see them as a playoff contender but not a SB contender...

Last edited:
Bostonian1962 said:
Nice post, but based on your post, it appears your DL is old, and your DBs are inexperienced. Not at all a good combination.

Summary: Per your post, overall age isn't as big a problem for the Phins as is the FIVE new starters on the D.

DB's We have only one rookie...and only one 2nd year player (who knows the defense better than all of them)..all the others have at least 3-4 years playing and starting experience. they are just new together.

MoLewisrocks said:
Overall on paper the teams aren't even in the same area code unless you are determined to talk yourself into it. Which is what many in the media are doing. It is not only what the chess masters do with the pieces, it's the quality and talent of those pieces. It's checkmate before you get past QB.

I agree with you on chad..i honestly think he's done, but you will never convince him of that fact.

As for branch i'm just more mad at your FO for not signing the guy already. Last year he didn't even play in pre-season and was great during the season so him holding out is not a big worry as long as he gets on the field.

I can't even really go into the d-backs..thats just a giant mess of injuries, aquisitions and unproven talent.

Honestly i like the fact that saban kept his systems..it's easier for 2 guys to adapt than for 53 of them. The one thing i worried about when Smith and Linehan left was that we'd have to start all over again..

What we do know about Culpepper is that he has the NFL record for fumbles. I'm banking on that as a Pats fan.

I'm also going by the fact that we played the Fins toe to toe with our back-ups at the end of Miami's glorious win streak last year.

I still think that the same old Miami hype wagon is blowing its horn again.

But Welker83 has respect for coming on this site and making some valid points.

The Pats used injuries as a rational last year for a lot of things, but I don't like the way they played Oakland or Carolina either! I don't feel like they were 'bringing it' every week, regardless of injuries. I think this year is different, at least I hope!

24 completions, 49 attempts, 3 lost fumbles, 272 yards, 2 TD passes, 17 points: Culpepper's stat line in 2002 in a loss against the pats. That was on a healthy knee, with Randy Moss, a healthy Bennet and Williams, with the #8 scoring offense in the NFL, against the Pats awful D that year. Why should we assume Culpepper will be better now, on a knee not fully healed, without Randy Moss? The Dolphins haven't beat the Pats in a big spot since Brady took over and until they do, why should we be concerned?

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
What we do know about Culpepper is that he has the NFL record for fumbles. I'm banking on that as a Pats fan.

I'm also going by the fact that we played the Fins toe to toe with our back-ups at the end of Miami's glorious win streak last year.

I still think that the same old Miami hype wagon is blowing its horn again.

But Welker83 has respect for coming on this site and making some valid points.

The Pats used injuries as a rational last year for a lot of things, but I don't like the way they played Oakland or Carolina either! I don't feel like they were 'bringing it' every week, regardless of injuries. I think this year is different, at least I hope!

Thanks! If only culpepper had some bigge hands he wouldn't lose the ball so much...

And i agree with you on the bandwagon stuff. Begininng of last year they were saying 4 wins if we were lucky... now it is a great thing to win 6 straight, but when your doing it on a powder pudd schedule then it has to take some of that away.

I believe you can write and talk about it forever, but until miami takes NE's crown they are still only second best... And i can't wait for this season to start so we can go at it.

PonyExpress said:
24 completions, 49 attempts, 3 lost fumbles, 272 yards, 2 TD passes, 17 points: Culpepper's stat line in 2002 in a loss against the pats. That was on a healthy knee, with Randy Moss, a healthy Bennet and Williams, with the #8 scoring offense in the NFL, against the Pats awful D that year. Why should we assume Culpepper will be better now, on a knee not fully healed, without Randy Moss? The Dolphins haven't beat the Pats in a big spot since Brady took over and until they do, why should we be concerned?

We beat you in 2004 with our piss poor team and AJ feeley..kinda shows you how all teams can have a bad day...

Let us not forget in 2004 he had one of the best seasons ever for a QB..better even than brady in the stat line... to assume he sucks based on one game would be a grave error on your part...

Welker83 said:
Where are you guys getting the "aging Miami Defense"?

Heres the facts:
1. Last year miami had the oldest average age defense in the league starting the season. Opening day roster was:
DL: Jason taylor, Vonnie Holliday, Keith Traylor, Kevin Carter
LB: Junior Seau, Zach Thomas, Channing Crowder
DB: Tebucky Jones, Lance schulters, Sam Madison and Reggie Howard...

Pretty much an old group...But it's not like this anymore...Miami's D is now same as the average of the league..the only old part of the unit is the D-line..but we now have young talent behind them. Projected starting line-up for this year:
DL: Jason Taylor 31,Vonnie Holliday 30, Keith Traylor 36, Kevin Carter 32
LB: Sedrick Hodge 27, Zach Thomas 32, Channing Crowder 22
DB: Will Allen 27, Travis Daniels 23, Jason Allen 22, Renaldo Hill 27

Average age of unit last year: 30.18
Average age of unit this year: 28.09

That right there looks like a nice blend of youth and experience...

So who's defense is really aging?
Pats projected starters:
DL Warren, Wilfork, Seymour
LB, Vrabel, Colvin, Bruschi, Beisel
DB. Samuel, Gay, Harrison, Wilson
Average age as of opening day: 27.68

Basically a difference of .41 years or 5 months... Where as the pats have a young DL the fins have a young secondary. It is widely known DL players can go into their mid 30's while secondary players and LB's start their decline in their early thirties...And even more shocking is that if Traylor is cut and anyone under the age of 27 takes over our averages are identical...

So please get off that defense is old thing... This is not the same D you guys saw last year...

Saban is doing a good job. But he was firing blank's this offseason. It wasn't his fault, Wanny & Company used up all his draft picks. Its possible no one makes it to the team this year from teh draft, other then teh expenditure for Culpepper.

Culpepper's game is long ball and scrambling. He can't scramble anymore, but he does have Chambers who is competent. IMO his short intermediate accuracy is only average. In some respects, if he can no longer run, he would be an pale imitation of Bledsoe's game. Good long distance passing, little touch short and intermediate, and a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. he has a good arm but its no where as good as Bledsoe's IMO.

The offensive line is a hopeless collection of rejects from some of the worst team's in the league and the rest never weres, except for Jeno. As long as two franchise backs were running behind it, they could contain the sacks to a merely an unsatisfactory level, not truly atrocious. One of the those backs is gone as certainly as if he were traded. The other has never carried the load for a season, anywhere.

The D is getting older. Adding a busted hip rookie DB and signing a couple of vets who were not offered an extension is questionable. The only good looking youngster on Defense is Crowder but he has lousy knees already.

Its unfortunate that Miami plays in the AFCE; If they played in the NFCN or NFCW they would be assured of a playoff and possibly a division title. Here even a 10-6 record or more probable 8-8 record will be 3-6 games behind the Pats.

AzPatsFan said:
Saban is doing a good job. But he was firing blank's this offseason. It wasn't his fault, Wanny & Company used up all his draft picks. Its possible no one makes it to the team this year from teh draft, other then teh expenditure for Culpepper.

Culpepper's game is long ball and scrambling. He can't scramble anymore, but he does have Chambers who is competent. IMO his short intermediate accuracy is only average. In some respects, if he can no longer run, he would be an pale imitation of Bledsoe's game. Good long distance passing, little touch short and intermediate, and a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. he has a good arm but its no where as good as Bledsoe's IMO.

The offensive line is a hopeless collection of rejects from some of the worst team's in the league and the rest never weres, except for Jeno. As long as two franchise backs were running behind it, they could contain the sacks to a merely an unsatisfactory level, not truly atrocious. One of the those backs is gone as certainly as if he were traded. The other has never carried the load for a season, anywhere.

The D is getting older. Adding a busted hip rookie DB and signing a couple of vets who were not offered an extension is questionable. The only good looking youngster on Defense is Crowder but he has lousy knees already.

Its unfortunate that Miami plays in the AFCE; If they played in the NFCN or NFCW they would be assured of a playoff and possibly a division title. Here even a 10-6 record or more probable 8-8 record will be 3-6 games behind the Pats.

I saw daunte in person last week running all over the place, he looked fine scrambling.... Also Derek hagan is making his case for #3 receiver catching everything coming his way..already he's running with the second team...

We'll see about allen...crowder looked fine last year...

Welker83 said:
We beat you in 2004 with our piss poor team and AJ feeley..kinda shows you how all teams can have a bad day...

And this matters because....? :rolleyes:

Welker83 said:
Let us not forget in 2004 he had one of the best seasons ever for a QB..better even than brady in the stat line... to assume he sucks based on one game would be a grave error on your part...

You're forgetting that...

In 2004, Culpepper has Moss
In 2004, Culpepper played an easy schedule in '04 (123-133)

Since Moss left, Culpepper QB Rating is 72.0.

Culpepper's Postseason numbers (4 games)...

W-L: 2-2

C% - 54.5
YPA - 7.3
TD% - 6.0
INT% - 3.7 (ouch!)
TD - 8
INT - 5
QB Rat - 82.3

Regular Season...

C% - 64.2
YPA - 7.7
TD% - 5.1
INT% - 3.3 (still ouch!)
TD - 135
INT - 86
QB Rat - 91.4

Culpepper's Record against teams with winning records (including playoffs): 14-27 (.341)

My judgement on Daunte is based on INT% and performance against quality teams.

5 DAUNTE CULPEPPER 7 yrs 2,607 att 1,678 cmp 20,162 yds 135 td 86 int 91.5 rate
7 TOM BRADY ______ 6 yrs 2,548 att 1,577 cmp 18,035 yds 123 td 66 int 88.5 rate

INTs, or lack thereof, are key to winning in the postseason.

• Teams that toss fewer than two INTs have gone 293-141 (.675) in the postseason during the Super Bowl Era.
  • Teams that toss two or more INTs have gone 63-215 (.227) in the postseason during the Super Bowl Era.

That explains these numbers...

DAUNTE CULPEPPER 2-2 postseason
TOM BRADY 10-1 postseason

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:
And this matters because....? :rolleyes:

You're forgetting that...

In 2004, Culpepper has Moss
In 2004, Culpepper played an easy schedule in '04 (123-133)

Since Moss left, Culpepper QB Rating is 72.0.

Culpepper's Postseason numbers (4 games)...

W-L: 2-2

C% - 54.5
YPA - 7.3
TD% - 6.0
INT% - 3.7 (ouch!)
TD - 8
INT - 5
QB Rat - 82.3

Regular Season...

C% - 64.2
YPA - 7.7
TD% - 5.1
INT% - 3.3 (still ouch!)
TD - 135
INT - 86
QB Rat - 91.4

Culpepper's Record against teams with winning records (including playoffs): 14-27 (.341)

My judgement on Daunte is based on INT% and performance against quality teams.

5 DAUNTE CULPEPPER 7 yrs 2,607 att 1,678 cmp 20,162 yds 135 td 86 int 91.5 rate
7 TOM BRADY ______ 6 yrs 2,548 att 1,577 cmp 18,035 yds 123 td 66 int 88.5 rate

INTs, or lack thereof, are key to winning in the postseason.

That explains these numbers...

DAUNTE CULPEPPER 2-2 postseason
TOM BRADY 10-1 postseason

Anyone can twist numbers around. You know what they say about lies, damn lies and statistics I'm sure. You say your judgment is based on interception percentage and performance yet you only seem to focus on interceptions. Yes, Culpepper threw more than brady. Regarding performance, to me it looks like Culpepper has a higher career passer rating than Brady. And, I'm sure you also know even if you fail to mention it, Culpepper had a significantly higher completion percentage than Brady. Perhaps, dare I say it, Brady just happened to be on a better team than Culpepper and the mediocre Vikings always were exposed in the playoffs?

I could also look at your numbers and say that Culpepper is better in a Linehan offense, which is what he had until 2005, which is incidentally the year Moss left. That, by the way, is the system he'll be working with this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back