Welcome to PatsFans.com

Honda Motorcycles Replacing Harleys At Local Police Department

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Mar 25, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The vast majority of Honda cars driving around the USA were made in Ohio. I understand that my Ford truck was made in Mexico:(

I wonder where these Honda motorcycles were made?

3. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Harleys are great.

For leaking oil and constantly needing tuneups.

They are so overrated, that it isn't even funny.

4. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Dodge trucks are made in Mexico and Canada.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

So, Wes, I assume you are bringing this up to remind us of how bad unions have been for the country in making our companies non competitive, right ?

6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's just way over the top, NEMster. Way, way over. BF doesn't deserve that. You should apologize.

As to the issue of the bike replacement: Are you totally unaware that the very high labor costs demanded by certain laborers (the Harley guys, in this case) as well as the management types, price themselves out of the competition. Harleys are well on their way to becoming nothing more than a museum piece or toy for the ultra rich. Sure, Jay Leno can afford a stable full of Harleys, but when the average Joe goes down to the dealer and sees that a decent Harley rig off the floor costs $20,000, and a better out-fitted, better performing, and less troublesome rig (be it Honda or other Japanese makes, or BMW, even), is available for considerably less, then the decision becomes obvious: go with the cheaper, more reliable, better performing bike. As much as I'd like to have a Harley, their attitude is ridiculously arrogant. Talk about "cults".

Forty years ago, I wanted to buy a Harley. So I went to my local dealer in Concord, NH. He gave me such a hassle over having to wait, having to pay up front, having to jump through so many hoops to "join his club", I said, "Thanks, see ya", and bought a Triumph Bonneville instead. (Great bike, btw, a classic even today.) Then, fifteen years ago while living in Manchester, I saw and heard so many Harleys I decided I wanted to get one. So, again I went to the local dealer, much bigger than the one in Concord 25 years earlier. I told the dealer I had the money and was ready to buy. So he starts telling me I will have to wait, I will have to go onto a list, the next shipments won't be until next year, etc., etc., etc. I said, "OK, thanks. See ya" and bought a Kawasaki ZX 11, a far superior ride to anything Harley could ever make. Smooth, tight, absolutely trouble-free, and such a kick-ass motor, it was used in many winning dragsters. The Kawi was, and still is, an EXCELLENT machine. The Harley, well, it's nostalgia, a yearning for Marlon Brando and the "Wild Bunch". Not much more. Which, as an American, makes me sad.

//

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +425 / 12 / -26

NOt sure about all this, certainly hear the rumble of Harleys quite often in the summer around here.. Honda has made inroads, but Harley is usually the choice of the hardcore biker.

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yes, they do have the *sound* of the penultimate bike. There are lots around, and apparently no shortage of buyers. But you will see more and more police forces and other U.S. enterprises that use motorcycles choosing Japanese bikes over Harleys simply because H-D doesn't want to change. They are now niche products, not the every day work horses they once were. Not competitive as real working machines; only good for posing. The "bad ass" image.

//

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +425 / 12 / -26

Making a lot of assumptions here and generalizations.. there could be a lot of factors here, marketing strategies of Honda and other foreign bike companies making inroads to this market.. without regard you or I cannot say definitively what is going on here and quantifying info on the net either way.. they only thing I can find is Honda USA is stopping building Motorcycles in the USA.. this may have an effect as their is an affinity to buy US built with all their flaws..

http://www.ohio.com/business/16065127.html

Honda Motor Co. plans to stop producing motorcycles in the United States next year and will transfer production to Japan, the automaker announced Wednesday.

Honda currently makes motorcycles at its plant in Marysville, Ohio, employing 450 workers.

Honda said there will be no layoffs when production ends in spring 2009. The workers will remain with the company, helping produce cars, trucks, engines and parts and filling other jobs at Honda's other operations in west-central Ohio.

The motorcycle plant opened in 1979 as Honda's first U.S. plant. Last year, it made 44,000 Gold Wing touring and VTX cruiser bikes.

10. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So, that's the point then: now even Honda is pulling out its operations from the U.S. because the cost of U.S. labor has priced itself out of competition. Look, this is simply a numbers game: if the U.S. laborer is going to demand more for his work than another laborer who makes the same or even better quality product, what do you think will happen?? It's not rocket science. Human nature is to buy the best product at the lowest price. Always will be.

//

11. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well jeez...I love my 02 FXSTBi and have put no money into it for anything other than regular maintenance. Even Harley gets hated on in these forums....:bricks:

Loud pipes save LIVES!

12. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I like the bikes, but there are better work machines for less money. If the Army was buying bikes today, would they get Harleys?? I doubt it.

:eek:

//

13. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Lol I agree...was just having fun with it. Though a cop on a Honda is just one of those non-traditional things that makes you look twice when it changes...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Do any of you whipper snappers remember "The Indian"

15. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +174 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

And they are LOUD. I loved them as a kid . The look, the sound but I know they are a lot louder now than then. If my car was that loud I'd get a ticket. It's ironic that a couple of years ago I over heard a couple of bikers complaining that there Harleys were so loud it was hurting there ears. I think most guys take the baffels out of the mufflers.

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

You might be in a time warp. There was a time when you walked into a Harley showroom and they would have a mat under a brand new Harley, because it was leaking oil. Then, they overhauled the whole organization. Congress even passed a bill regarding purchasing Hondas. The bill has expired and so has leaky Harley's.

17. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

It's nothing to do with what I deserve. I want everyone in this country to do well. I want everyone to be able to save money and grow wealth.

That's not the question here. Wes himself quoted that they are cheaper to buy and maintain. We know why. I was just asking what point he was trying to make.

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, and I'm sad it has to be that way. But, it is what it is, as somebody once said, I think.

//

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I saw a couple when I was *real* young, back in my Carter Street, Needham, days (before 128, now known as I-95, cut a swath across our front yard :eek:).

Hey, here's one: has anyone seen "The Fastest Indian in the World"????

I thought it was going to be about Jim Thorpe or something, but, uh-uh. Actually a pretty good movie about a New Zealander, played by Anthony Hopkins (good actor), who takes his old 1920-something Indian to the Bonneville salt flats in Utah to set a new speed record. Great movie.

I know from Indians!!

//

20. ArmyPatsFan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very good movie.....loved it.