Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who wins da fightz?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm called a homer too, and I guess by the nature of this board I am because I see positives.
The thing is that I cannot understand at the completion of the 2nd best decade a franchise has ever had, why anyone wouldnt be a homer? (I define that as giving benefit of the doubt that decisions are more likely to be good than bad)
When the organization had no clue I would have been considered a Chicken Little.
I just havent figured out why the quality of the job done so far by the decision makers isn't 'allowed' as a factor in confidence or doubt about the future.
Somehow it has become fashionable and honorable to trash the organization, BB, and decry the future.
I don't understand the logic.

I think the biggest problem is there is this faction of people who are determined to pass off everything as invalid because a poster is "being a homer" rather than sticking to points being made and using facts to counter-argue. It becomes "you are wrong and the fact that you think you are right means you are a homer". Valid points are stripped, and topics go down the drain. Even the biggest chicken littles and trolls have valid points once in a while ;)

The best discussions on this board (and everywhere) occur when both sides, regardless of or reputation, are sticking to the points and bringing in facts with an open-mind. Any argument you enter in which you have determined it is impossible for you to be wrong, you have already lost. I can't tell you how many times my initial reaction to a post has been "no way that can't be true", but when I went to look at the facts it was shown that I was wrong. Rather than jumping in and arguing the point right away, I put in a little bit of fact checking first to see that the poster was indeed onto something even though my gut reaction was the opposite. I have on more than one occasion admitted fault and had my opinion changed based upon facts and arguments put before me. I am supposedly one of the biggest homers in the universe, and a thankful fan I am but I do not believe my fandom alters my ability to think logically. Sure on the close calls I'll sway in favor of the team, and I think they have earned that benefit of the doubt.

Now, throw me in the ring as an objective homer hybrid!

I say the homers win because even though I don't post a ton I am still a homer and Everyone says I look like the big show and I am 6'7" 350lbs so I am not that far off and I just go around and choke slam everyone....:violent:

I think the biggest problem is there is this faction of people who are determined to pass off everything as invalid because a poster is "being a homer" rather than sticking to points being made and using facts to counter-argue. It becomes "you are wrong and the fact that you think you are right means you are a homer". Valid points are stripped, and topics go down the drain. Even the biggest chicken littles and trolls have valid points once in a while ;)

The best discussions on this board (and everywhere) occur when both sides, regardless of or reputation, are sticking to the points and bringing in facts with an open-mind. Any argument you enter in which you have determined it is impossible for you to be wrong, you have already lost. I can't tell you how many times my initial reaction to a post has been "no way that can't be true", but when I went to look at the facts it was shown that I was wrong. Rather than jumping in and arguing the point right away, I put in a little bit of fact checking first to see that the poster was indeed onto something even though my gut reaction was the opposite. I have on more than one occasion admitted fault and had my opinion changed based upon facts and arguments put before me. I am supposedly one of the biggest homers in the universe, and a thankful fan I am but I do not believe my fandom alters my ability to think logically. Sure on the close calls I'll sway in favor of the team, and I think they have earned that benefit of the doubt.

you are far from objective

Yes, I agree. It is intellectual fraud to pull the 'if you say that you must be a homer' card in place of defending your position.
It serves the dual purpose of implying that the 'homer' doesnt even believe himself and lies just to be a homer.
Its lame, and gets real tired.

I voted objectives, because the worst of both camps will pretty much fight to the death to claim that title.

It's virtually identical to the people who respond to negative sentiments by posting "if you're such a genius, then why haven't the Pats hired you yet?" or "I'll take BB's opinion over yours, thanks", or any other appeal to authority like that. I don't really care either way, since at this point that's pretty much just a fast track onto my ignore list, but let's be honest enough to admit that it's a problem across the board.

Last edited:
you are far from objective

I sincerely hope that this thread turns into another internet slap-fight about who gets to call themselves objective. That would be perfect.

Last edited:
Chicken littles aren't the opposite of homers. Chicken Littles are simply pessimists, who see everything is a bad light, and who believe that without any one player the team is in deep trouble.

If I understand a Homer, he is one who thinks his teams is always making the right move, and defends the team agains his opposite side, someone who thinks his team is always wrong. That would be more like a Hater if you had to use a term. But why need Homer and Hater terms at all? If your only response to a rebuttal is, "You're a Homer," then admit your point is pretty damn weak. Stickng to football is better than saying, "Homers don't understand football," as Tanked said earlier in this thread.

Yeah, Tanked and DI, people you don't agree with just don't understand football, do they? Makes me wonder how BB got to be a head coach doing all those things you don't agree with.

Chicken littles aren't the opposite of homers. Chicken Littles are simply pessimists, who see everything is a bad light, and who believe that without any one player the team is in deep trouble.

If I understand a Homer, he is one who thinks his teams is always making the right move, and defends the team agains his opposite side, someone who thinks his team is always wrong. That would be more like a Hater if you had to use a term. But why need Homer and Hater terms at all? If your only response to a rebuttal is, "You're a Homer," then admit your point is pretty damn weak. Stickng to football is better than saying, "Homers don't understand football," as Tanked said earlier in this thread.

Yeah, Tanked and DI, people you don't agree with just don't understand football, do they? Makes me wonder how BB got to be a head coach doing all those things you don't agree with.

The real truth is this:
There are 3 kinds of posters:
1) Those that post to gripe and whine and wallow in negatism
2) Those that post with optimism, trying to find the silver lining
3) Everyone that isnt in 1 or 2, which basically amounts to posters who are not argumentative with anyone whose viewpoint differs from theirs.

1 and 2 (heretofore Homer and Chicken Little) verbaly beat the daylights out of each other because they are looking at the same things from opposite sides, and the counter is exactly what they are trying to overcome with their posts.
Negative posters are positing to feel better by confirming they are right to be pissed off, positive posters are posting in hope of making sense to figure it out.
There are very few 3s because they just don't post much.
1 and 2 ultimately get pissed off at each other, name calling ensues, and the board is ruined.
The biggest problem that exists is that both factions refuse to just let the other have their say and disagree with them silently.
I guess that would greatly reduce post counts, but it would make the board a whole lot more enjoyable.

I voted objectives, because the worst of both camps will pretty much fight to the death to claim that title.

It's virtually identical to the people who respond to negative sentiments by posting "if you're such a genius, then why haven't the Pats hired you yet?" or "I'll take BB's opinion over yours, thanks", or any other appeal to authority like that. I don't really care either way, since at this point that's pretty much just a fast track onto my ignore list, but let's be honest enough to admit that it's a problem across the board.

I agree, but I don't think I'm being terribly biased by saying that the "why haven't the Pats hired you" comments are far outweighed by the "you're just a homer" comments. Although, as usual it takes 2 to tango and I'm guilty of helping to derail one or two topics this season with such.

To be honest, the only posters on this board that bother me are the select few who are infatuated with the idea of 'homerism' and whatever it is they think the opposite of homerism is (chicken-little-ism??).

You can tell that their lives are clearly so empty that just inserting football into it isn't enough; they must also be 'better' at being a football fan than whoever it is they happen to disagree with over the direction of the football team at the time.

As far as I'm concerned, certain people are paid a lot of money to make decisions about the Patriots. Not only would I rather leave those decisions to them, but the chance that something I post here could affect one of those decisions is (and this may be surprising to some of you)...

0.0%.

Operating under this assumption, I find it makes more sense to enjoy discussing the team without getting as invested as it seems some of those posters do, for whatever reasons. I don't care if someone is a homer, a chicken-little, a fan of 40 years or a fan of 4 days. I don't post here any differently than I would talk about football irl, and irl everyone gets a chance to say what they think without worrying that they're going to be called a name by someone who gives way too much of a ****.

I have a feeling that if some of you tried to talk football irl the way you posted here, you'd most likely end up with no one to talk about football with before very long.

Last edited:
The real truth is this:
There are 3 kinds of posters:
1) Those that post to gripe and whine and wallow in negatism
2) Those that post with optimism, trying to find the silver lining
3) Everyone that isnt in 1 or 2, which basically amounts to posters who are not argumentative with anyone whose viewpoint differs from theirs.

1 and 2 (heretofore Homer and Chicken Little) verbaly beat the daylights out of each other because they are looking at the same things from opposite sides, and the counter is exactly what they are trying to overcome with their posts.
Negative posters are positing to feel better by confirming they are right to be pissed off, positive posters are posting in hope of making sense to figure it out.
There are very few 3s because they just don't post much.
I'm afraid you are right, and that's a pity.

The biggest problem that exists is that both factions refuse to just let the other have their say and disagree with them silently.
I guess that would greatly reduce post counts, but it would make the board a whole lot more enjoyable.
Hey, I'll give it at try. I am no longer a No. 2. Henceforth, Spacecrime is a Number 3.

At least until season starts (then we can look back and see if it helped or not).

Well, I guess an epic fail goes to me for attempting to create a fun thread.

BB is at the heart of all of the arguments. The Homers will ultimately say, "So you know more than Belichick?" To which the C.L.s will respond that he's human and makes mistakes, some of them egregious. Everything stems from these basic points. Belichick makes the decisions and takes the heat when they suck and reaps the rewards when they don't. It's always the SOS disguised with different words. And so it goes, thread after thread, week after week, season after season, ad infinitum. Of course it's the Hatfields and McCoys that make this group work. Without them it's nothing more than a steady stream of copied information from a bunch of Twitter accounts set up by media loons whose sole purpose is to be first. (like it really matters) It does entertain. I come back for more. It's addictive.

I'm afraid you are right, and that's a pity.

Hey, I'll give it at try. I am no longer a No. 2. Henceforth, Spacecrime is a Number 3.

At least until season starts (then we can look back and see if it helped or not).

Thats what I'm trying also

Anyone know how to I can slow this down?

thShirts_.gif

Photoshop.

YOu can change the duration of each frame.

=================================================

I wonder if it is worth the trouble. Because then I would have to speed this one up.

thm_phpgmvdxR.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing