Welcome to PatsFans.com

Home On the Range - GOP Style

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

MIAMI - A South Florida Republican said it was a mistake to shoot at a target with the initials of the Democratic congresswoman he is trying to unseat.

Candidate Robert Lowry made a brief statement to a local newspaper but refused to speak further Friday about the incident, which happened Tuesday during a weekly GOP meeting held at a gun range.

Organizer Ed Napolitano defended the gathering, as well as the use of targets that appeared to be gunmen with traditional Arab head scarves.

"That's our right," said Napolitano, president of the Southeast Broward Republican Club. "If we want to shoot at targets that look like that, we're going to go ahead and do that."

GOP member shoots target with Dem's initials - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

They hold their weekly meetings at a gun range????

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Interesting article, saw this earlier...

so it was a mistake, all is well and the world is a nice place to be a politician...

3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +565 / 8 / -8

At least their men of the cloth only wish brain cancer deaths on their "enemies" (i.e., those who choose the wrong sex partners.) They don't publicly take target practice at them.

You guys think this stuff is normal, don't you?

PFnV

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

People are so uptight in this country.

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

Yea that is the problem.. uptightedness:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +565 / 8 / -8

Chillax dudes! It's like you have to blame guys for EVERY LITTLE ASSASSINATION THREAT!!! Geez where is the fun in life if you can't threaten assassinations? :rolleyes:

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you really, honestly believe that this was some sort of legitimate threat to assassinate a political opponent?

It seems to me this was just a more high powered way or putting someone's face on a dartboard. Certainly not the most mature behavior, but hardly an "assassination threat."

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

Who was threatened to be assasinated?

Yes, I think people are far too uptight in this country. Everyone is worried about saying the wrong word, wearing the wrong color, or being seen in the wrong place. People are worried about explaining something with the wrong words, or answering a question with anything but the perfect context. I thik we're way to PC in this country. I've been saying that for a long time.

9. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +565 / 8 / -8

Yeah sure. Put your co-worker's face on your target at the firing range and invite someone from HR to go shoot with you. Nah, they wouldn't be worried.

PFnV

10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You didn't answer my question so I shall ask it again:

Do you really, honestly believe that this was some sort of legitimate threat to assassinate a political opponent?

It seems to me this was just a more high powered way or putting someone's face on a dartboard. Certainly not the most mature behavior, but hardly an "assassination threat."

11. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,344 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

RW, you're a young kid. Someday, you and your wife will have children and then you may actually give a ***** about the society your family lives in.

Nobody is saying that it is a legitimate assassination threat. However, it being a horrible way to act for any adult, not to mention a person who is running for public office, is beyond rational debate.

And then, of course, we'll see another thread wondering why the discourse in our country has become so mean spirited and nasty.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I'm 35 pal, and I think people in this country need to relax. People need to worry more about themsleves, and less about some stupidity where a guy has fun with his opponent in an election. I think society has become too PC. Call me nuts, but I don't take everything personally, and don't think that every stupid thing someone does, that I might not like, is offensive to the point of being angry over it. Who cares that the guy put his initials on a dart board. I don;t think he's going to go shoot him any time soon. I'm not condoning what he did, as much as I'm saying that people need to relax about unimportant crap like this. If Elvis Dumrerville took tom Brady's pick, and shot it up at a target range, I wouldn't go around screaming that Elvis wanted to assasinate Brady. People need to relax.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Everybody, close your eyes, now remember some of the things that were said and done about "The Hated Bush" by the Left Wing Comedians, the Hollywood Wife Swappers and especially the "Obama News Service" a movie was made showing "Bad Bush" being asassinated.

AMERICA IS SLOWLY TURNING INTO A BANANNA REPUBLIC, DICTAORS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD NOW LOVE OUR NEW PRESIDENT, THEY SEE THEMSELVES IN HIM.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Since you're 35 years old already I'd think it's about time you realized that you ought to at least attempt to get your facts straight before you act like you think your opinion ought to be respected.

1) "The guy" didn't put his initials on a dart board. "The guy" put his opponent's name on a gun target.

Her. it's her you don't think he's going to shoot any time soon.

Did you even read the article?

I suppose you're ok with the entire GOP shooting at targets made up to look like Muslims, too, huh? Either that or you find racism and religious intolerance unimportant in your elected officials.

What if they were shooting at targets holding rosaries and wearing crucifixes around their necks, would you feel any different?

15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

There is a line between fun and malicious behavior... also think it is a few steps removed from politically incorrect behavior... from a political point of view it is not something that the Republican Party should identify with; men shooting images of women will not resonate well with mainstream republicans... particularly in light of the number of women killed by men in this country.

Do not think it is fun, or funny or humorous.. does not seem to imply assassination, but seems more to imply men's power over women and a desire to eliminate them under the guise of guns and the protection of the second amendment...

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

More than that, it implies gross stupidity - and a total disregard for public opinion and perception. Neither of which are traits we should want our elected officials to possess.

17. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,344 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Hmmm....why shouldn't our political leaders live by the same minimum standards you'd expect from anonymous website posters?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/12/243812-i-have-request.html

18. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +565 / 8 / -8

Hey Harry, who do you mean when you say "Hollywood Wife Swappers"? Shouldn't you update that to "C-Street Family Wife Swappers"? Or "Appalachian Trail Hikers?"

Hey did you hear the U.S. Navy got embarassed and had to eliminate the rank of Ensign? Now they're called "able seamen..."

Don't cry for me Carolina...

19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, according to the article, he put his opponent's initials on a gun target, not her name.

Please forgive me if I find it amusing that after lecturing someone else to "get your facts straight" and asking "did you even read the article?" you have followed it up with a response where those same statements could be said back to you.

20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Touche!!

But I was a hell of a lot closer than he was. I confused "Name" with "Initials." He confused "her" with "him" and "self" with "else." He also completely ignored the Muslim aspect of the story.

Literally speaking, name and initials are virtually synonomous - while him and her are antonyms - as are self and else.