Welcome to PatsFans.com

Holy Cow! When the Sh!t hits the...Ozone layer?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

[​IMG]

Cow 'emissions' more damaging to planet than CO2 from cars

By Geoffrey Lean, Environment Editor
    Published: 10 December 2006

Meet the world's top destroyer of the environment. It is not the car, or the plane,or even George Bush: it is the cow.

A United Nations report has identified the world's rapidly growing herds of cattle as the greatest threat to the climate, forests and wildlife. And they are blamed for a host of other environmental crimes, from acid rain to the introduction of alien species, from producing deserts to creating dead zones in the oceans, from poisoning rivers and drinking water to destroying coral reefs.

The 400-page report by the Food and Agricultural Organisation, entitled Livestock's Long Shadow, also surveys the damage done by sheep, chickens, pigs and goats. But in almost every case, the world's 1.5 billion cattle are most to blame. Livestock are responsible for 18 per cent of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, more than cars, planes and all other forms of transport put together.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article2062484.ece

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

George Bush drove them all nuts :D :D :D

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

The silence in this thread is deafening. Quick Harry, one of us fart! :D

[​IMG]

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I was just going to let one of the other posters point out what you already obviously know, but are playing dumb about. Just because the livestock is worse than the cars doesn't mean we shouldn't do something to make cars cleaner. If there are technologies to make cows cleaner, I'm all for those too, but in the meantime we have to fix the things we have control over. It's not an all-or-nothing problem.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Yeah, doesn't seem like cow farts is a hot topic these days.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

My point was simply to bring to light some facts that no one in here probably knew. To watch the news, or to hear some posters in here, the problem is entirely man made. Seems to me that the naysayers who've been pointing at the sun & nature would stand to gain a little cred with this admission by the UN. Personally, I've been a tad skeptical of the Enviro-nazi's claims in this discussion. I think that they are overblowing and distorting what is real, and what is uncertain.

7. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Lol, you're so full of sh!t I don't know why I'm even bothering. Your point wasn't simply "to bring light to some facts that no one in here probably knew", your point was to marginalize the man-made polution problem by juxtaposing it to the cows.
    Maybe you were arguing with a straw man, but I haven't heard anyone on this forum say that the ONLY causes of pollution are man-made. I've never heard anyone say that livestock don't produce methane, that trees don't produce CO2, or that natural forest fires don't throw soot and smoke into the atmosphere. What I hear people say is that mankind is part of the problem and we have to do what we can to reduce our impact on the earth's environment. People disagree how far we should go, but nobody's arguing what you claim they're arguing.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

Cuba's cars should be fixed, they all drive 55 Chevy's, the smoke coming from the exhaust makes it look like they are burning wood.

Al Gore should go on a "fact finding mission" to Cuba and tell Castro (while he is still alive) to do something about this. The smoke is traveling to Miami and making all the "Miamians" sick, Castro probably knows this anyway, he has always wanted to kill them.

The natives in Googamba Africa have dead monkeys under their straw beds, the "dog eaters" of South East Asia still have bowel movements in the street, does "Crazy Gore" know this?

John Fonda Kerry has two SUV's on Nantucket Is and two more in Aspen Colorado.

George Bush is bringing about the End Of The World.

Hark the herald angels sing
    Glory to the new born king

Merry CHRISTmas.

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Some people may feel that way, but people who have read up on the subject know that global warming is primarily a natural phenomenon.

The small contribution to global warming by humans carries the risk of tilting the natural balance and creating terrible catastrophes. By any measure, there's are enough qualified experts out there who believe we must address global warming that we ought to do what we can. I also think that taking global warming seriously will result in a new industry and new technologies.

I think the downside of trusting the scientists who believe we must address global warming is about the same as the downside as trusting the engineers who believed in the potential of the internet. The internet did not destroy books, snail mail, telephony, cable, or anything else, and global warming will not destroy any industries, but might hurt (or even destroy) those businesses who don't want to invest in cleaning the environment.

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

They drive like 55 Chevy's because they are. Maybe lifting the trade embargo would help (and it would let me get my hands on Cohiba cigars without going to Europe).

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +568 / 6 / -2

I'm what? HA! Puh-lease Pujo. Point one instance where any Al Gore type's conceded, or mentioned, that nature was the factor it is? Give me a break. I've said 1,000 times that this issue is not debated, it's argued. Don't tell me what I was trying to do. Don't put words in my mouth. I've always made my positions on topics in here known, unlike most people. When the UN comes out and says that Cows are more damaging than car, planes, and all other forms of transport together, it's eye popping. I can guarantee you that had someone asked that as a question "which causes more pollution?", the vast majority would be shocked to see that cows were worse.

What I hear is that mankind IS the problem. Again, this issue is never discussed, it's argued.

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Fine but it also says the cows' 18% is more than all transportation combined. Which means that is responsible for less than 18%. Which means that there's a big world of 82+% we could be looking at instead of going apesh!t about a bottom feeder that contributes less than 18%.

13. DropKick

DropKick On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do you (or anyone else) really think that ending Global Warming is the actual goal?

I predict that nothing will change as a result of this report. It's inconvenient and will simply be ignored as before. This information isn't new. The U.N. part it, but facts have been known already.

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Let me just be perfectly clear, you are full of sh!t in this thread. Full of s-h-i-t.

15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Fine but don't come to my doorstep crying about my car. Get rid of all the life first, then the cars.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Ah, I now see the sarcasm :)

Yes, the goal by too many Algore types is to get rid of technology whether the facts fit or not.

17. DropKick

DropKick On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting that this crowd are Luddites. I do feel the goal is to control the means of production and how its used. ;)

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is why I don't like to debate assclowns. Yeah, the real goal of the liberals is to get rid of all technology so we can live like the Amish.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +527 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'm confident that's Algore's goal. Maybe not the rest of you.

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why, did a computer fall on him when he was little? Good god, not only do you think you can look into someone's mind, but you also pull out the most incredulous crap. Maybe Al Gore is really afraid of snakes.