PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley: Ty Warren may be out for the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think they're lying in this case? Warren wasn't great last year, probably because of the groin and knee injuries that he was dealing with from preseason onward. Losing him is a blow more because he stood to improve the defense (by returning closer to 100%) than because what he actually gave us is irreplaceable. Him coming back at a high level was a big part of why I thought the front 7 would improve significantly.

Yes, the numbers are lying in this case, but it's partly because the poster using them is taking an outlier and acting as if it's the norm. The tackle numbers for Warren are:

From Mike Rodak of ESPN:

"4. One of the biggest problems the Patriots’ defense seemed to have on the Saints’ 20-play drive was getting pushed back at the line of scrimmage. The Patriots’ defensive line for the drive – Vince Wilfork, Gerard Warren, and Mike Wright – all got routinely beaten at the point of attack by the Saints’ big, physical offensive line. On the final play of the drive, however, Saints RB Reggie Bush was able to walk into the end zone after RCB Darius Butler was late to pull off the inside route by the lone Saints receiver on that side of the field. "

Picked-up pieces from 1st quarter review - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

We'd better hope a) Ty Warren is able to play or 2) Damione Lewis can step up.

Yes, the numbers are lying in this case, but it's partly because the poster using them is taking an outlier and acting as if it's the norm. The tackle numbers for Warren are:

Granted, but do you disagree with the premise that Warren's been a pretty unremarkable player since the injuries started piling up? Still well above average, and better than the guys behind him, but below the level of play that he had established when healthy?

I'm bummed as hell about this, but mostly because it's lowered the defense's ceiling considerably. I was excited about potentially getting Ty back at 100%, because he was considerably lower than that. If Gerard Warren plays around the level that we saw last night, I don't know if the dropoff will be all that significant: the real problem, then, will be that the massive hole at RDE will still be unaddressed.

From Mike Rodak of ESPN:

"4. One of the biggest problems the Patriots’ defense seemed to have on the Saints’ 20-play drive was getting pushed back at the line of scrimmage. The Patriots’ defensive line for the drive – Vince Wilfork, Gerard Warren, and Mike Wright – all got routinely beaten at the point of attack by the Saints’ big, physical offensive line. On the final play of the drive, however, Saints RB Reggie Bush was able to walk into the end zone after RCB Darius Butler was late to pull off the inside route by the lone Saints receiver on that side of the field. "

Picked-up pieces from 1st quarter review - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

That's a bit of selective memory at work, too. I didn't hear anyone complaining about those guys getting beat at the point of attack on the first 2 NO possessions. Offenses as good as New Orleans will make every D look bad from time to time. The fact that they only did it once, and that we made them work for it to the point of going for it on 4th down and getting bailed out by a questionable call on an uncatchable pass... I'll take that any day.

Granted, but do you disagree with the premise that Warren's been a pretty unremarkable player since the injuries started piling up? Still well above average, and better than the guys behind him, but below the level of play that he had established when healthy?

I'm bummed as hell about this, but mostly because it's lowered the defense's ceiling considerably. I was excited about potentially getting Ty back at 100%, because he was considerably lower than that. If Gerard Warren plays around the level that we saw last night, I don't know if the dropoff will be all that significant: the real problem, then, will be that the massive hole at RDE will still be unaddressed.

Warren's always been unremarkable, because he's been lining up with two better players. Seymour's a HOF talent, and Wilfork is the best NT in the game. Warren's a solid player, especially against the run, but he's the least of the three.

However, Ty Warren is a far better player than Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis, Mike Wright and the rest of the backups on this team. This team now has major problems at both DE spots, and Wilfork's not good enough to make up for that. Spikes, Mayo and Chung/Sanders/Meriweather are going to have to be absolute monsters now, or this team will end up getting killed on the ground against the better teams when it matters.

And don't kid yourself about G. Warren's game last night. He wasn't as good as people are trying to make it out.

Last edited:
Re: Holley: Ty Warren out for the year

While this loss would be tough, were definitely able to overcome it. Ty's play over the last two years and last year especially has been mediocre and certainly not up to how he played 3-4 years ago. With Gerard Warren having an absolute great camp, Damione Lewis,Mike Wright, Myron Pryor and one of the younger players step up I think we will be fine.

From Mike Rodak of ESPN:

Rodak is a college kid on an internship for Reiss.

And don't kid yourself about G. Warren's game last night. He wasn't as good as people are trying to make it out.

he was able to sack brees because no one blocked him.

I think we can get a big body who can make 33 tackles and 1-2 sacks as a 2 gap DE. That's what Warren is now. He's not the 56 tackle, 7 sack 2 gap DL we re-signed. That's all I'm saying.

MikeReiss Filed to ESPNBoston.com: Starting DE Ty Warren's hip injury is serious enough that it could threaten his 2010 season.
3 minutes ago via Echofon

Mike Reiss just tweeted this, so it looks liek Ty Warren will indeed be lost for the year, and I would expect him to be place on IR any day now, with a corresponding roster move to follow

I think we can get a big body who can make 33 tackles and 1-2 sacks as a 2 gap DE. That's what Warren is now. He's not the 56 tackle, 7 sack 2 gap DL we re-signed. That's all I'm saying.

Yes, you're taking an outlier and acting as if it's the norm. That's what I'm saying.

If all it took was a big body, BB wouldn't be using 1st round picks on the Seymours and Warrens of the world.

MikeReiss Filed to ESPNBoston.com: Starting DE Ty Warren's hip injury is serious enough that it could threaten his 2010 season.

Mike Reiss just tweeted this, so it looks liek Ty Warren will indeed be lost for the year, and I would expect him to be place on IR any day now, with a corresponding roster move to follow

what i don't get is how can anyone injure a hip without being a training camp? must have been some freak injury that happened while he was working out by himself or at home.

what i don't get is how can anyone injure a hip without being a training camp? must have been some freak injury that happened while he was working out by himself or at home.

He was at training camp, and that's where he was almost certainly injured. He wouldn't have passed his conditioning test and been practicing if it was a preexisting issue. It was the offseason workouts that he missed.

Last edited:

He practiced the first practice of training camp which I was at, and I then remember him being interviewed by WEEI after that practice and everything was fine,so the injury happend in the afternoon session of day 1 of training camp.

He most probably injured it during scrimmage since it's being labeled as a labrum tear.

On Tuesday, defensive line coach Pepper Johnson explained what the Patriots would miss without Ty Warren.

"The things that he does for the people around him and us, it goes unspoken," Johnson said. "He is a strong character in the locker room. He is a strong character in our meetings. He's a stand-up guy. He's a guy that if he misses a play, or if he blows a play out there on the field, he stands up and says 'that was me and that's not going to happen again.' You can't have enough of those type of guys out on the field."

Ty Warren's hip injury is serious enough to possibly require season-ending surgery, according to a source - ESPN Boston

This is really, really, really bad news, folks. Can't see anyone coming close to replacing this guy....aqnd it's not like these types of players will get cut by other teams. UGH!

He most probably injured it during scrimmage since it's being labeled as a labrum tear.

not to jump to conclusions but from what i read:

labral hip tear + surgery = IR

people who get this surgery are still in pain after 6 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back