PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley: Ty Warren may be out for the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if schobel can play DE in a 3-4?

Maybe we can solve this by putting cunningham at OLB and signing schobel to replace Warren...wishful thinking i know.

Schobel doesn't want to play in a 3-4, that is part of the reason he wants out of Buffalo because they've gone to the 3-4, I believe.

It really is starting to look like 2 or possibly more of those first 4 picks going to both lines next year. I like Warren. Seems a stand up guy. hope he doesn't end up on IR.

Holley seems pretty sure of himself today, he just said it again and said that Kazur is also out for the year. Again, no mention of a source...just that he heard.

I think Holley has pretty much established that he has good sources within the Pats. I can't imagine many people would doubt him on this. It all adds up. Unfortunately, Ty W's injuries seem to be snowballing.

Schobel doesn't want to play in a 3-4, that is part of the reason he wants out of Buffalo because they've gone to the 3-4, I believe.

and also like andy mentioned, schobel is way to light to be a DE in our scheme. He's only 230 pounds or so, which is way short of the ideal weight for a 3-4 DE.

Not that big of a loss guys, and just another turning of the page from last year to this. Kaczur and Warren were part of the problem, not the solution.

:confused: If this is true, Warren is a pretty big loss. Our ability to replace his production is the question here. Can Damione Lewis come in and replace him? Are we going to look elsewhere after cuts are made? Or will Warren come back?

Re: Holley: Ty Warren out for the year

they ravens still rushed for 234 yards against us. i'm not trashing mike wright either. i just view him more of a quality back up. we've basically lost seymour and warren from our DL over the past 2 seasons, two stalwarts that have been there for a long time. not sure how we are going to get around this one.
But 80 was on one play and they ran the ball over 50 times because they were ahead. We didnt lose because of run D.
Teams change, good ones and bad ones both. Teams evolve, teams overcome injuires.
We have 4 DL who have been NFL starters without Warren. As with Mankins, at least, if we are down a good player its at a spot where we have depth and can plug in a guy who has played effectively in the NFL. Damione Lewis has been a starter on some good defenses. Mike Wright played more snaps than any DL on our team last year. Sure it would be great if Wright could be needed less in the regular D so he can be freshfor sub packages, but he is a good player. It is what it is.

:confused: If this is true, Warren is a pretty big loss. Our ability to replace his production is the question here. Can Damione Lewis come in and replace him? Are we going to look elsewhere after cuts are made? Or will Warren come back?
I think Lewis can replace Warren of 2009, but I was hoping for a much less limited Warren in 2010. At least we have 3 capable DEs who have started a lot of games in the NFL without Warren. Could be worse, we could be talking about a position with less depth.

It's definitely a loss if he doesn't come back, but I thought the defense held up surprisingly well against the run last night. Better than I thought they would without Ty. The Saints have one of the best olines in the game and our dline seemed to a very good job of controlling them. That's a positive sign, even in the preseason.

Gerard Warren looked the part of a solid 3-4 DE last night. I know it's only one game, and it's preseason, but he absolutely has the size and strength to be a force there. He looks twice the size of T. Warren. It's really too bad that Ty might be out for the season, because we could have had a potentially dominant Dline with those two in there.

Did anyone catch Damione Lewis last night? Would have liked to see if he got time at 3-4 DE. Mike Wright looked improved, too. And we still have Pryor, who also looks better, and prospects in Brace/Deaderick/Weston. It's not the end of the world if Ty is gone, but it's not going to help us, either.

Worst case scenario, we switch to a 4-3 mid-season with Wilfork and G. Warren at DT, and TBC, Ninko, Cunningham, and whoever else at end. Then you've got Spikes at MLB with Mayo and Guyton at OLB.

I think Lewis can replace Warren of 2009, but I was hoping for a much less limited Warren in 2010. At least we have 3 capable DEs who have started a lot of games in the NFL without Warren. Could be worse, we could be talking about a position with less depth.

There's depth there, but it is also the position where the play of the 2nd string is most important, because of the amount of times that players are rotated in. Who will be the fifth DLineman? The leading candidate at the moment is Pryor, and after yesterday, I'm not exactly sanguine about that.

(Anybody have a link to Reiss's 2009 season snap count/% of plays post? My search came up empty, but I have to guess that the 5th Dlineman is in for a third of the plays or more.)

First, good we got both G Warren and Lewis.

Second, we've got a lot of big bodies in camp. Who wants to be a star?

Third, we do have many different talented LBs to play different fronts if we want to mix it up more. (Never had 4-3 OLBs before, now we have a bunch).

I would be very bummed out if Ty Warren was out for the year, obviously, but I have also said that I think the two most underrated off-season transactions were bringing in Damione Lewis and Gerard Warren. Warren looked strong last night. Don't really recall seeing much of Lewis, but I think they will both be big contributors this season.

I know Lewis and Warren were both big-time draft picks back in the day but now I just kind of see them as older, steady, unheralded guys who just give you solid production, kind of in the mold of a Bobby Hamilton or an Anthony Pleasant.

WTF where did this come from. Out of nowhere Kaczur and Warren have these severe injuries at positions already in question. At this time last year if you'd have said Seymour, Warren, and Mankins would all be potentially gone for this season without any high draft pick or major FA pickups I'd have **** myself!

Well the rebuilding phase just got accelerated quite fast. I hope Pryor, Wright, Lewis, the other Warren and company are ready to step up in the meantime. But this definitely sucks

Time to scour the wires

There's depth there, but it is also the position where the play of the 2nd string is most important, because of the amount of times that players are rotated in. Who will be the fifth DLineman? The leading candidate at the moment is Pryor, and after yesterday, I'm not exactly sanguine about that.

(Anybody have a link to Reiss's 2009 season snap count/% of plays post? My search came up empty, but I have to guess that the 5th Dlineman is in for a third of the plays or more.)
Pryor was 5th last year with about 275 if I recall.
The thing is that we have 4 guys to rotate among 3 spots in the base, and 2 spots in the sub packages. If all 4 are healthy #5 doesnt see much action. Most of Pryors snaps last year were when we were short a player.

So is this the part where we all start ripping on Warren and calling him lazy and fat like we did with Seymour from 2006 onward? After all, he's missing games, and there's just no way that the explanation could be as simple as being injured.

So is this the part where we all start ripping on Warren and calling him lazy and fat like we did with Seymour from 2006 onward? After all, he's missing games, and there's just no way that the explanation could be as simple as being injured.

Let me be first. RIP Warren. Oh, wait...

Well, this sucks if true, but at least we are finding this out mid August rather than late August or early September. It still gives the Pats plenty of time to find potential replacements on the waiver wire or via trade.

Well, this sucks if true, but at least we are finding this out mid August rather than late August or early September. It still gives the Pats plenty of time to find potential replacements on the waiver wire or via trade.

:eek: Does that therefore mean that Ty Warren is a ...JET!?! :eek::eek::eek:

2006 : 56 tackles, 7.5 sacks
2007 : 34 tackles, 4 sacks
2008 : 32 tackles, 2 sacks
2009 : 33 tackles, 1 sack

It is what it is.

But 80 was on one play and they ran the ball over 50 times because they were ahead. We didnt lose because of run D.
Teams change, good ones and bad ones both. Teams evolve, teams overcome injuires.
We have 4 DL who have been NFL starters without Warren. As with Mankins, at least, if we are down a good player its at a spot where we have depth and can plug in a guy who has played effectively in the NFL. Damione Lewis has been a starter on some good defenses. Mike Wright played more snaps than any DL on our team last year. Sure it would be great if Wright could be needed less in the regular D so he can be freshfor sub packages, but he is a good player. It is what it is.

i agree with you that it wasn't our run D alone that cost us the ravens game. if anything, they figured out brady's audibles at the LOS and made brady look inept at times. However, even if they do rush for over 50 attempts and it was 3 YPC on average, it killed the clock and any chances of us getting back in the game. I remember reading somewhere that they specifically targeted running at Seymour's old spot knowing Green wasn't going to be as good. Then when the pats made adjustments moving Wilfork over to the left, they just ran it up the middle with the same result. Take away the one 80 yard run, they ran for 150 yards which is about 50 yards more than our season average YPG on D. While 150 yards may not seem like much, particularly if it's 3 YPC on average, it ate up a ton of the clock.

Last edited:

i agree with you that it wasn't our run D alone that cost us the ravens game. if anything, they figured out brady's audibles at the LOS and made brady look inept at times. However, even if they do rush for over 50 attempts and it was 3 YPC on average, it killed the clock and any chances of us getting back in the game. I remember reading somewhere that they specifically targeted running at Seymour's old spot knowing Green wasn't going to be as good. Then when the pats made adjustments moving Wilfork over to the left, they just ran it up the middle with the same result. Take away the one 80 yard run, they ran for 150 yards which is about 50 yards more than our season average YPG on D. While 150 yards may not seem like much, particularly if it's 3 YPC on average, it ate up a ton of the clock.

It was Ray Lewis who figured out Brady's call schemes and what exactly he was audibling out of. He did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back