PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley: This player will be a Patriot after Saturday (para.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone caught this on WEEI this morning, but Michael Holley is convinced that the Pats will be taking a particular player in the later part of the first day of the draft.

He didn't say who (deciding to save it for the end of the show to reveal it), and I won't be able to listen when he does. Can someone who can listen let us know who he says?

Probably just conjecture and something to fill a slow day, but I'd be curious why he feels so strongly about this inkling.

Who do you all think it is?

I think he's suppose to "disclose" it at 1. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I know who it is. It's going to be Jerrod Mayo.

Guys, I know who it is. It's going to be Jerrod Mayo.

Lets hope not - not at 7 anyway. Gholston is their man, if he's there - If not trade down and pick up some picks in the later Rounds.

Lets hope not - not at 7 anyway. Gholston is their man, if he's there - If not trade down and pick up some picks in the later Rounds.

He did mention it would likely happen later in the day on Saturday, which leads me to believe he thinks they'll either:

a) trade down to later in the first.

b) this player's going to be taken with their second round pick.

If we can get him later great, but I like Mayo much better than Gholston.

He did mention it would likely happen later in the day on Saturday, which leads me to believe he thinks they'll either:

a) trade down to later in the first.

b) this player's going to be taken with their second round pick.

Yea, I agree. Bill's big on value and there's not a whole lot at the top, so if our targeted guy(s) is gone then I see a trade to a team wanting to move up and grab Ryan or Run DMC. Now, if those two are gone (and our guy) then we are in TROUBLE at seven. IMO.

If we can get him later great, but I like Mayo much better than Gholston.

Really?!?! Wow. Gholston is a freak athlete.

I respect your opinion and you may be right, but he's not a top 10 pick IMO- However, Bill lives in his own Draft World and based on prior experience, if he takes Mayo high I'll be scratching my head but I will be ok with it.

Really?!?! Wow. Gholston is a freak athlete.

I respect your opinion and you may be right, but he's not a top 10 pick IMO- However, Bill lives in his own Draft World and based on prior experience, if he takes Mayo high I'll be scratching my head but I will be ok with it.

If Bill picks YOU high Ill scratch my head but be ok with it......its bill belichick

He just said it's Mayo said he is the best LB in the draft.

he just said Gerard Mayo...who the F is that?

He just announced it. Trade down and pick Jerrod Mayo.

They will trade down and draft a right guard with their first pick.

You heard it here first.

Well, you can now scratch Mayo off your list of possible Patriots.

If the plan had been to trade down and draft somebody they really liked, the last thing in the world they would do is let it slip to a reporter. It doesn't make any sense. It would just move this guy up in the eyes of every other team who was interested in that players position....

When you read in Don Banks article how the Jets are obsessed with whatever the Pats may or may not do it makes it highly unlikely that they would let this leak out.

:confused:

What kind of known contact have the Pats had with Mayo?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12274

OLB | (6'1
1_4.gif
", 242, 4.54) | TENNESSEE
Scouts Grade: 94

Flags: (D: DURABILITY) Player that can't stay healthy

Strengths: Possesses an outstanding combination of size, speed and athleticism. Keeps head up and locates the ball quickly. Reaches top speed quickly, aggressive and makes plays in the backfield. Moves well laterally and generally does a nice job of scraping down the line of scrimmage. Has above-average range, plays with a good motor and makes plays in pursuit. Plays fast and really closes in on ball carriers in a hurry

Weaknesses: Needs to improve his lower-body strength. He has jarring initial power but lacks the brute strength/wide base to anchor. Gets sucked up inside at times and is not a great phone booth player. At his best when he's protected. Doesn't use hands all that well and takes too long to shed blocks when offensive linemen are able to lock onto him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey