PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley: This is the best group of LBs the Pats have had in this era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Listening to EEI and Holley just said that this version of the linebackers is the best they've had. He said that even though Willie is gone with the signing os Seau and TBC rising to the top that they have the most talent he's seen here. Now I think it's alittle early to tell (Sunday night might show us alot). The Pats are using Seau masterfully and TBC has started to make some plays but if this is the best group yet and the D line is the best they've had then this could be one scary team come December and January.

Last edited:
Re: Holley: This is the best group of LBs the Pats have had.

I like Holley but I'd have to disagree with that one. I'd look back at the 2001 group with McGinest, Ted Johnson, Bruschi, and Vrabel as one of the best. Also early in Parcells time here with McGinest, Slade, and Johnson was a pretty formidable group.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. 2004 was better than this group. Lined up:

2004 Tedy > 2006 Tedy
2004 Willie >> 2006 Colvin
2004 Vrabel = 2006 Vrabel
2004 Ted Johnson >>> 2006 Seau

and that group had better depth, as well as more complimentary depth with Colvin and (d%#*!@t, I forgot the other ILB. arrrrggggghh)

Asking for help here. Did they have Phifer, Ted and Ted plus Willie, Colvin and Vrabel together? I think they did, but Colvin got injured.

I'm not sure.

I think Willie is not so easily replaced. Willie, Colvin, Vrabel and Bruschi > than any starting 4 we can put together now.

RayClay said:
Asking for help here. Did they have Phifer, Ted and Ted plus Willie, Colvin and Vrabel together? I think they did, but Colvin got injured.

I'm not sure.

I think Willie is not so easily replaced. Willie, Colvin, Vrabel and Bruschi > than any starting 4 we can put together now.

Phifer is the guy who's name I lost. He was with the team in 04 with partially healthy Colvin.

Oswlek said:
I'm not sure that I agree with this. 2004 was better than this group. Lined up:

2004 Tedy > 2006 Tedy
2004 Willie >> 2006 Colvin
2004 Vrabel = 2006 Vrabel
2004 Ted Johnson >>> 2006 Seau

and that group had better depth, as well as more complimentary depth with Colvin and (d%#*!@t, I forgot the other ILB. arrrrggggghh)

I agree with you. No love for Roman Phifer, eh? I always liked him.

Mike the Brit said:
I agree with you. No love for Roman Phifer, eh? I always liked him.

Phifer was the man I was thinking of. If you are saying that I didn't list him, then gotcha! But if you are saying that I am disrespecting him by forgetting his name....

Then guilty as charged. ;)

Not sure if I agree, but it is nice to see TBC finally getting into the mix.

Pure hype.
A younger Tedy, TJ at MLB, Vrabes and younger Willie with Phifher plus Colvin pre-injury was better. Even after Colvin went down early in '04, that crew was faster.
I do like this year's LBs. May they stay healthy.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Pure hype.
A younger Tedy, TJ at MLB, Vrabes and younger Willie with Phifher plus Colvin pre-injury was better. Even after Colvin went down early in '04, that crew was faster.
I do like this year's LBs. May they stay healthy.

Does faster necessarily equal better?

I'm going to be different in this thread and say right on Holley. :rocker:

It is a good argument... I would have to count the 2004 group as tough competition, but as of now Seau is playing at a very high level and being used almost perfectly. with vrabel, colvin on the outside and TBC starting to perform, it is a pretty impressive group that we have and certainly one of our strengths IF everyone stays healthy

Best or not, I'm damn happy with the group we have especially Seau.

Considering what we were looking like with Beisel, I don't see the bashing of Seau. He's 37 and runs around and hits people. More than "Monty" ever did.

If one values experience, knowledge and understanding highly then this years LB corps might very well the best group as Holley suggests.

BTW, I think Seau is performing at a very high level.

Regardless whether this is their best year, wasn't this the supposed weak area of the D?

I could probably find in 10 minutes almsot 100 season preview articles that said that NE's LBs were going to be a major liability.

I've got to chime in here and give love to the linebacking corp that I think was among the greatest in Pats history - Nelson, Tippett, and Blackmon (with McGrew and Rembert as backups).

It makes for a fun argument.

Oswlek said:
Regardless whether this is their best year, wasn't this the supposed weak area of the D?

I could probably find in 10 minutes almsot 100 season preview articles that said that NE's LBs were going to be a major liability.
I didn't hear him on WEEI, but do you think maybe that was Holley's point? Poke a finger in the eye of some of the guys out banging trash can lids in the alley behind Gillette?

Murphys95 said:
I've got to chime in here and give love to the linebacking corp that I think was among the greatest in Pats history - Nelson, Tippett, and Blackmon (with McGrew and Rembert as backups).

Yeah I should have said in this era.

Murphys95 said:

I'm with ya, Murph. That unit was unbelievable.

PatsRI said:
Yeah I should have said in this era.

No worries. Any day I get to reminisce about the throwback years is a good day. :)

PatsRI said:
Listening to EEI and Holley just said that this version of the linebackers is the best they've had. He said that even though Willie is gone with the signing os Seau and TBC rising to the top that they have the most talent he's seen here. Now I think it's alittle early to tell (Sunday night might show us alot). The Pats are using Seau masterfully and TBC has started to make some plays but if this is the best group yet and the D line is the best they've had then this could be one scary team come December and January.

Holley is correct. We remember players when they were at the top of their games not what they actually were during the run.

TJ was a shadow of himself,compared to the late nineties. Phifer was a a good but not exceptional pass defending LB with size. His conversion to ILB was merely to an acceptable player level, who did his job. No one was booming him for a Pro bowl invitation. Chatham played for almost an entire season and performed adequately, but he couldn't hold a permanent position as as starter with the Pats nor with the Jets, either. Willie was a near HOF player at 31-33. At 35 his skills were in obvious decline. Cox had the instincts but his wheels were long gone. He did provide leadership for a while.

Whereas today Bruschi is a complete ILB. Seau a former freelancer with speed has become a increasingly disciplined run stopper only. He is performing better than Cox or TJ during the dynastic run.

Vrabel is the once and future king. He is both an OLB and a leader and coach on the field and an heir apparent as the "Mike" man. TBC is better than Matt Chatham ever hoped to be. Pierre Woods is raw, but he is much more talented than the scrubs behind Chatham on the other earlier Teams. Lloyd Carr disparaged him and he sank from a possible first rounder to an UDFA. But people still forget even inf Belichick and Pioli didn't, that he had the talent to be considered a possible first round draft pick. Carr was fortunate that he could sit him, and still play future high picks as Michigan LBs.

The only guy who has not performed to high expectations is Rosey Colvin. But he is still playing as a solid but not spectacular OLB. Even so he is playing better than but the first three games before the hip injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back