PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Holley Just Said . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remix 6 said:
our money is same as theres..wasnt he whining about $8mill per year .. thats what he wants? not 6 not 6.5

our deal: 3 years 19 mill = 6.33 mill per year also 5 year 31 mill
:

6 years 36 mill = 6 per year and if its 39 then 6.5

There is a difference.

Their offer would start this year say it is 39M then thats 6.5 M/yr
so over next 4 years thats 26M

PATs deal was a 3yr extension at say 19.2 M Plus the 1M from this year = 20.2M
over 4 years. That averages to be only 5M and change
PATs are under 1.5M/yr

It's easy what would you rather have 26M or 20.2M over next 4 years?

If Branch is worth the 6.5M and BB/SP were really serious about determining
his worth then they need to come back with an offer that's in the ball park.
IMO

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
Why? If Branch doesn't play until week 10, its like not having him at all. Franchising him will require 2 first rounders, which is why BB is holding out for that. Its clear that Branch will be franchised if he doesn't sign here.

I'd rather have the one bird in the hand now than two (possibly) in the bush. There's no guarantee that franchising him will turrn out the way we want it to. And like I said, that might make us feel better about trading a later first-day pick for solid WR help this season.

Last edited:
Lets ship him to the Jets for their #1 next year (probably a top 5) and be done with it. I'm sure Deion won't care about his career going in the toilet as long as he gets his money!

Time to move on....

I applaud BB for trying to do the best for his *team* and pull everything out of this situation he can, and I don't give a flying you-know-what whether Branch is "happy" or not. He precipitated the whole situation, so he's made his bed and must lie in it. I suspect the two Number 1 picks is just smoke and mirrors. A number one pick for sure and a player. That's what I'm betting.

Last edited:
I heard somewhere that the Pats actually want compensation based on the draft value chart, not based on round #... they want 1500 points (equal to the #7 overall)... so, if a team offered their #1, and it was worse than #7, the team would have to pony up more picks to reach 1500... actually a brilliant move by the pats, if you ask me.

PatsWorldChamps said:
I heard somewhere that the Pats actually want compensation based on the draft value chart, not based on round #... they want 1500 points (equal to the #7 overall)... so, if a team offered their #1, and it was worse than #7, the team would have to pony up more picks to reach 1500... actually a brilliant move by the pats, if you ask me.
That was an idea floated by Profootbaltalk.com based on the recent Denver-Atlanta-Washington trade - the only report specific to what the Pats are allegedly asking is the two #1 pick story.

SamBam39 said:
EXACTLY PEOPLE !!!

Deion has no right to beef - he's not getting a better offer! - at least not much better!

and BB is not gonna just dump his number one wideout.

an important point here - very important - BB doesn't give a rat's ass if Deion doesn't like it.

think about that.
he will dump him if he thinks his number 1 wideout doesnt want to play here anymore before week 10. BB is good at cutting the cord rather than letting the problem linger .

Isn't it possible that the Pats will just match whatever offer Deion has reached an agreement on? Especially if the offer isn't that much more than what we originally offered him. Wasn't that considered just to be our opening offer anyways and as Jonathan Kraft said they fully expected to get a counter offer?

Isn't it possible that the Pats will just match whatever offer Deion has reached an agreement on? Especially if the offer isn't that much more than what we originally offered him. Wasn't that considered just to be our opening offer anyways and as Jonathan Kraft said they fully expected to get a counter offer?

That's what I'm thinking as well.

richpats said:
It's all about the guaranteed money, and I'm betting their offers have exceeded ours in guaranteed $ by a few million.
I'm surprised that I haven't seen this many times, but your point is 'right on the money'. As has been hashed out over and over and over again on this board, it's the signing bonus that is the 'real' contract (plus presumably this years extra salary which is pretty much guaranteed). The rest is funny money since it is not guaranteed.

It has also been often discussed here that agents like the total big dollars in a contract so that they look good to players who are too young or not smart enough to understand what the contracts really mean to a player. So Chayut will be pushing Branch to go for a 'big dollar' contract even if the Patriots offer in terms of signing bonus and meaningful salary years is as beneficial or even perhaps very close to the 'big dollars'.

It will be interesting to see if we get the details of any contract offers rather than just the years and total dollar amount. Chayut is not likely to give out THAT information and perhaps the bidding teams won't leak it either. .... Which could put the Patriots in a bad light even though they might be offering Deion as beneficial a contract or close to it.

Not sure if was posted and didn't want to start another Branch thread, but Tom Curran at the Projo just reported that Branch/Chayut have filed a grievance against the Patriots and have asked for an emergency meeting with the NFLPA and the NFL today.

Jacky Roberts said:
Not sure if was posted and didn't want to start another Branch thread, but Tom Curran at the Projo just reported that Branch/Chayut have filed a grievance against the Patriots and have asked for an emergency meeting with the NFLPA and the NFL today.

On what grounds? He's in breach of contract.

Jacky Roberts said:

Um. Uh-oh.:(

Grievance, huh? They just can't stop being a distraction.

Pats are stuck now though. They can't turn him down for a trade by demanding 2 #1s unless they want a TO sized headache.

A #2 might be worth it to get rid of all the distractions once and for all.

mcbee said:
Grievance, huh? They just can't stop being a distraction.

Pats are stuck now though. They can't turn him down for a trade by demanding 2 #1s unless they want a TO sized headache.

A #2 might be worth it to get rid of all the distractions once and for all.
What this tells me is the Pats won't accept anyone's trade offer and Chayut knows he has two choices: sign with NE at their offer or sit out until week 11. Either way, he loses and looks silly. I guess, being the lawyer he is, is if he files a grievance for any reason, the Pats may just say "the hell with it" and dump him. Obviously your response is exactly what they hope BB feels.

Wow, that sucks. I'm really kind of hoping they drive deion out of football altogether right now, who the heck does this kid think he is???

Agree, Pats aren't taking any of the offers and Chayut is trying to force them into a bigger headache. Anyone else get the feeling that there will not be closure in 20 minutes? Never thought it would get this bad....

Last edited:
PatsSox363804 said:
On what grounds? He's in breach of contract.

this stuff gets so comical.

people trying to force things when they have no leverage is funny to watch.

whaa whaa, doesn't matter what we agreed to - we have different wants now. whaa whaa - somebody help us.

the pats are under no obligation whatsoever to give deion anything.
if he doesn't like it too bad.

he can sit out the season if he likes.

asking the league to step in cuz he wants a new contract is hysterical.

and trying to claim that the pats aren't being fair with what they are demanding in return is priceless. they can, and always have been able to demand whatever they want. HE HAS NO LEVERAGE.

I got an idea for him - play the season. then leave next year. if they franchise you, you get top dollar. based on the contract's I've heard he's accepting, he's not getting much more than the pats offered anyway.

what a clown. they get with these agents and think they can just do whatever they want. he is a business asset, his rights are owned, and he
cannot tell the patriots what to do with their assets.

this will be interesting to watch...

23 minutes until 4 oclock!

patsacolachick said:
Wow, that sucks. I'm really kind of hoping they drive deion out of football altogether right now, who the heck does this kid think he is???

Its not Branch, its his agent. I hardly think Deion picked up the phone and called the NFLPA looking to file a grievance.

patsacolachick said:

Its not Branch, its his agent. I hardly think Deion picked up the phone and called the NFLPA looking to file a grievance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots