PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hold at 60 & 61 or trade a pick?

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Usually BB tends to not like back to back picks but has kept both in the past.

I believe Mallett/Tavon Were back to back picks IRRC

Last edited:
I'm sure they have about 100 or guys they think will fit here. And probably will reevaluate the board towards the bottom of first in case they see someone they really like fall into the 2nd.

This draft just doesn't wow me at all. And frankly neither did last year. I had 18 first rounders last year and 16 this year. The difference between 20 and 40 this year just isn't that big imo. Great year to have a few 2nds and 3rds.

I'm sure they have about 100 or guys they think will fit here. And probably will reevaluate the board towards the bottom of first in case they see someone they really like fall into the 2nd.

This draft just doesn't wow me at all. And frankly neither did last year. I had 18 first rounders last year and 16 this year. The difference between 20 and 40 this year just isn't that big imo. Great year to have a few 2nds and 3rds.

Agreed. Four top 100 picks could net a decent RB, WR, RT and DL. Alternatively I could see a trade up for Bullard, Michael Thomas or Braxton Miller if any of them fall to the mid 2nd. Final possibility that merits an additional 2nd is a LB like Joshua Perry or Deion Jones.

Keep one and trade the other. Hopefully we can get a second and third or fourth next draft. I doubt we can get a first, but stranger things have happened.

Keep, unless we can get an impact player (like the Welker trade), or a 2nd and 3rd next year.

Keep them both. The Pats have need at OT, MLB/ILB and D-Line..

Brace and Butler were consecutive picks as well.

They have a lot of picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them packaged with some lower ones to move up in the round. I'm sure BB will happily tale a 1 next year if he can get it, but those trades seem to be history.

Depends entirely on who's on the board.

If we don't use them to trade up I'd rather we made the picks. Unless someone we want will be available a few spots later and we can trade down. Too many unknowns to say at this point.

They have plenty of picks, including 4 they can't trade, so I imagine they will be moving about a lot.

No 5th round this year or 4th round next year. I can see them trying to fill those gaps. I'd love a trade up but I don't believe we have traded up further than 4 or 5 spots (especially in the top 3 rounds) in the last 5 years or so. The last big trade up I can remember is for Chad Jackson, where I think we jumped 20+ spots. However, they have a big need at WR and if they see a guy they really like in the 2nd they may need to jump.

I'd happily package our 3rd and 2nd to move up to 40-50 to get ourselves a good WR/OT prospect. Can look at LB/CB/Rb in the 3rd round and later.

They have a lot of picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see one of them packaged with some lower ones to move up in the round. I'm sure BB will happily tale a 1 next year if he can get it, but those trades seem to be history.
did you have to mention brace and butler? are you trying to ruin my day?:D

did you have to mention brace and butler? are you trying to ruin my day?:D

At least Butler is still a starting corner, so he went on to find success. Brace was just an awful pick that I tried to warm up to and couldn't.

Unless it's a trade from 60/61 to a few spots back and we gain ATLEAST 2 SOONER than later picks in return then that is the most we should do if ANY!!.. ( UNLESS it's one of those CAN'T SAY NO TOO TYPR DEALS! ).. We have no 1st rder this year. We really got CAPITALIZE on the 2nd rd/our early picks this year!!.. None of that bonehead BB Jordan Richards who was at ABSOLUTE BEST case a mid to late 4th rder but most likely a 6th-UDFA guy that BB drafted with our 2ND!!!!!.. That was one of his top 3 STUPIDEST moves!!.. Because he was supposedly " Football Smart & Captain " of his teams!. BB keeps up that " trend " this year were SCREWED!!..

Pats consecutive Picks history is not pretty...I think we should try to separate those picks for the sake of history.:rolleyes:

The Pats will have to trade some picks because we don't have too many roster spots for rookies and we have 11 picks, OK that I don't expect the 11 rookies to make the roster and I believe BB considers those "wasted picks" part of the roster evaluation so even if they are cut it's not really wasted, not at all. But this is a year to get quality instead of quantity. It would be nice to move into the 40's.

All those late round picks they should try to move for a 5th next year to minimize the stolen 4th rounder.

The Pats will have to trade some picks because we don't have too many roster spots for rookies and we have 11 picks, OK that I don't expect the 11 rookies to make the roster and I believe BB considers those "wasted picks" part of the roster evaluation so even if they are cut it's not really wasted, not at all. But this is a year to get quality instead of quantity. It would be nice to move into the 40's.

All those late round picks they should try to move for a 5th next year to minimize the stolen 4th rounder.

Bear in mind that they can't move three of those last picks - the 6th round comp picks. I don't mind moving some of those later picks but I'm also OK with using them and hoping that a couple of them hit. Try and find the next Malcolm Butler or David Andrews from them.

Some quick thoughts.

Going by the Draft Value Chart (which i don't like but a lot of teams go by

Trading 60 and 61 gets you up to 32.
Trading 60 and 92 gets you up to 46/47
Trading 60 down for a 3rd and 4th gets you 73 & 111 (if you count for comp picks breaking it up)

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that they can't move three of those last picks - the 6th round comp picks. I don't mind moving some of those later picks but I'm also OK with using them and hoping that a couple of them hit. Try and find the next Malcolm Butler or David Andrews from them.
I like that idea but I just cant see them using all 11 picks, A trade just feels likely.

Well those recent moves changes the picture a little bit, losing a 4th used to acquire Bennett kind of hurts, I like Bill selections in the 4th round, so the "extra" 2nd kind of replaces that, in a better position. Right now I think I would stay put.

As an interesting aside, given that the Pats currently have no 4s or 5s, I could see them be interested in a trade that nets them one. As two possibilities:

* Trading their 2 and 3 for a higher 2 and a 4 or a 5
* Trading their 2 or 3 for a 2 or 3 next year and a 4 or 5 this year

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes