PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs returning kicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT_Pats_Fan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I think he's a good kick returner, but since the middle of the season, everybody has lauded his effort at corner and said he is one of the reasons why our secondary is playing better. So with that said, wouldn't it be prudent to use Davis and Dwight or somebody to return kicks to avoid an injury to him on special teams? As it is, we are so thin with DB's, we're an injury or two away from that unit falling apart. Could Bethel be activated for KR duty?

CT_Pats_Fan said:
I think he's a good kick returner, but since the middle of the season, everybody has lauded his effort at corner and said he is one of the reasons why our secondary is playing better. So with that said, wouldn't it be prudent to use Davis and Dwight or somebody to return kicks to avoid an injury to him on special teams? As it is, we are so thin with DB's, we're an injury or two away from that unit falling apart. Could Bethel be activated for KR duty?

I'm wondering if Bethel is injured and not able to get on the field. It was pretty odd that he just kind of vanished. I would think Dwight or Davis would be a better option though.

We at least have some depth at WR...

I have no doubt that BB thinks he's the player that gives us the best chance to make positive plays, but it's like Seymour at FB. Yes, he can be a devestating blocker, but the risk isn't worth the dropoff of using somebody else, and I think BB finally has admitted that.

CT_Pats_Fan said:

Good idea. You should send it to [email protected]. :cool3:

Holy crap, I didn't expect that (made up) email address to show up like a link. :eek:

Last edited:
We can't afford to use him on ko returns. Can't risk an injury.
If we had some depth at cb, I'd say fine. But, we are painfully
thin at db. I can live with Tim Dwight.

I see what you are saying, but I disagree. If this were week 8 in the season, with all of it ahead, I'd agree with you. But this is the playoffs, and I feel like if Hobbs gives us the best chance to make a big play on a kick return, that he should be the guy out there. There isn't enough time left in the season, IMO, to worry about risk of injury. Yes it could happen, but I think that at this point in the season, we're better off giving it all and taking what comes with the risks than playing it safe.

I think Bethel's time here may be coming to a close.

Here are the stats (I know, stats don't tell the whole story):

Kickoff Returns
No Yards Avg Long TD
Bethel Johnson 31 694 22.4 54 0
Ellis Hobbs 15 361 24.1 37 0
Tim Dwight 10 250 25.0 38 0
Andre Davis 3 108 36.0 65 0

Dwight and Davis have better averages while posing less risk (losing your starting CB).

True, maybe Bethel is done.

I agree, CT_. With the way Ellis has developed and matured over the season, combined with the situation in the secondary, I'd like to see him stick with the D. While Dwight has been somewhat of a disappointment with the returns (maybe I just expected too much), I'd hate to see Hobbs go down while on ST. The way it's worked out this year with guys playing on multiple teams/positions, it scares me a bit.

Except for Touchdown Tommy Ashworth. The guy is just too huge a threat to keep him solely on the line. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back