PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs is at the Eagles mini camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news the sky is blue...

As much as I liked Ellis, he was a **** to me when I met him a few months ago, and he his play should be upgraded upon.

Wait for see. I am happy about Maclin, the kid is a stud.

As much as I liked Ellis, he was a **** to me when I met him a few months ago, and he his play should be upgraded upon.

Wait for see. I am happy about Maclin, the kid is a stud.

It appears that the crap-on-Hobbs crowd is mostly under 12.

Noticed this summary of the trade in MMQB and not wanting to create another thread figured it could go here as it explains how the Hobbs trade went down. Pretty much as BB described it on WEEI last week. There was no master plan to rid the team of Hobbs. Nor one to snag Butler at any cost (as evidenced by their trading out of the first and taking Chung at 34). The Pats were not avidly persuing trades or players early, just listening to offers that came up in the course of draft day discussions and assessing the remaining value on their board. Smith's name probably came up in that same process leading to the Pat's revisiting the subject with Tampa post draft when they never did see a TE value they liked in the draft.

Peter King said:
At 137, the Eagles still had about 10 of their gaggle of 30 picks left. And a veteran player appealed to them. They saw the Patriots take, and keep, two corners from the 2008 draft, and now, in the second round of this draft, they saw Bill Belichick take UConn cornerback Darius Butler. "We knew the Patriots signed Shawn Springs too, so we said, 'Let's try to get Ellis Hobbs from them.' We talked, Andy and Bill, and Bill didn't want to do it. But a while later we called again, and maybe they thought there was a chance they were going to lose him anyway. I don't know. But a starting cornerback for two fives -- we just couldn't turn that down.''

I hope Bill doesn't live to regret having second thoughts about doing this deal. It's always risk/reward. Gave them a shot at further upgrading the OL in the 4th, which I think was needed, and it freed up enough cap to revisit Taylor, which rumor has it they are again pushing for. If they get Taylor as a result alone it may be a risk worth taking especially given they didn't see an early round OLB fit in this draft. If not, or if the rookie CB injury or FA corner disconnect bugaboo raises it's ugly head again, maybe not so worthwhile.

Noticed this summary of the trade in MMQB and not wanting to create another thread figured it could go here as it explains how the Hobbs trade went down. Pretty much as BB described it on WEEI last week. There was no master plan to rid the team of Hobbs. Nor one to snag Butler at any cost (as evidenced by their trading out of the first and taking Chung at 34). The Pats were not avidly persuing trades or players early, just listening to offers that came up in the course of draft day discussions and assessing the remaining value on their board. Smith's name probably came up in that same process leading to the Pat's revisiting the subject with Tampa post draft when they never did see a TE value they liked in the draft.

I hope Bill doesn't live to regret having second thoughts about doing this deal. It's always risk/reward. Gave them a shot at further upgrading the OL in the 4th, which I think was needed, and it freed up enough cap to revisit Taylor, which rumor has it they are again pushing for. If they get Taylor as a result alone it may be a risk worth taking especially given they didn't see an early round OLB fit in this draft. If not, or if the rookie CB injury or FA corner disconnect bugaboo raises it's ugly head again, maybe not so worthwhile.

To be honest, I'm more worried about "the red" than I am the injury bug.

Oh, I'm not following you Mo. We just keep ending up at the same place at the same time.:D

Last edited:
Can`t wait to see a 6 5 WR out jump our 5,9 CB again and he is a crap DB thread .Hobbs moves over for butler threads.

Who has looked into the crystal ball and said Darius Butler is better than Hobbs?

Who knows,some of you bashers may miss Hobbs if Butler turns out to suck

Can`t wait to see a 6 5 WR out jump our 5,9 CB again and he is a crap DB thread .Hobbs moves over for butler threads.

Butler is 5'10"...It's Wheatley who's the 5'9" replacement...poor bastid!!;)

Big deal, a fast WR beats a CB on a fade route which done correctly is thrown to the WR's outside shoulder or lofted over the WR's head, seems like it's a pretty hard route to defend without Safety help.

But he made getting beat on a fade an art form.

Heck, given what the Eagles have done this offseason, it wouldn't shock me to see the Patriots facing off against Mr. Hobbs and Mr. Samuel in the Super Bowl.

If Ellis is starting for the Eagles they aren't going to the Super Bowl. Ellis gave his all, but he wasn't that good. Knowing that we didn't make the playoffs last year makes me wish we had given the rookies a chance to play instead of starting Ellis.

As I recall last year that Belichick guy wanted his team to start showing some emotion and having some fun playing the game. I guess he thought overall they were playing too tight and letting football grind on them...as it does their fan base.

I also recall that Belichick guy saying in the wake of the Cry me a Rivers whining that some here ascribe to that Ellis Hobbs was good for this team.

I hope for their sake his replacements can get on the field, stay on the field, never take a misstep, make a mistake or get hung out to dry, can play through injuries and block out the noise and have their teamates and coaches backs... and I hope they don't get eaten alive by the kneejerk segment of the fan base when their coached to keep the ball in front of them and asked to play zone with an eight yard cushion that by nature often results in one bend but don't break completion after another...but I'm not naive enough to believe those aren't unrealistic expectations in NE.

Well said Mo :agree:

If Ellis is starting for the Eagles they aren't going to the Super Bowl. Ellis gave his all, but he wasn't that good. Knowing that we didn't make the playoffs last year makes me wish we had given the rookies a chance to play instead of starting Ellis.

Ellis started for the New England Patriots. During his time as the starter, the team had an undefeated regular season, went to a Super Bowl, and also lost in an AFCCG. Use your head.

Ellis started for the New England Patriots. During his time as the starter, the team had an undefeated regular season, went to a Super Bowl, and also lost in an AFCCG. Use your head.

The defense in 2006 was much better than in 2008, and if you remember he ws getting burnt then also. In 2007 the offense was so good that nobody could compete, and he wasn't good that year either. Look, I have been consistent here, Ellis Hobbs III is a good nickle corner, and an OK dancer. As a starter he is a liability who gets picked on by both the opposition and the officials.

Oh yeah, he plays husrt also, just ask him and he will tell you so, especially after he gets burnt.

The defense in 2006 was much better than in 2008, and if you remember he ws getting burnt then also. In 2007 the offense was so good that nobody could compete, and he wasn't good that year either. Look, I have been consistent here, Ellis Hobbs III is a good nickle corner, and an OK dancer. As a starter he is a liability who gets picked on by both the opposition and the officials.

Oh yeah, he plays husrt also, just ask him and he will tell you so, especially after he gets burnt.

Wow! Nothing works like tossing reason aside.... You've been consistently wrong, if BB is any sort of guide to go by, but don't let that get to you.

As for playing hurt, his postseason surgeries, and the verification of his injuries by others, should serve quite well to back up his assertions. It's amazing that people like you call the players they like "gritty", "gamer" and the like when they play hurt, but you insult someone like Hobbs because you've got an irrational, but personal, stake in their failure.

According to a source close to the Patriots cornerback, Hobbs was playing with a torn labrum in his shoulder and chronic groin pain.
more stories like this

The source said that Hobbs, who didn't miss a game during the season and has missed just one in his first three seasons, had surgery Feb. 12, nine days after the Super Bowl, to repair the shoulder. He originally injured himself in Week 9 against the Indianapolis Colts. The surgery was done by noted orthopedic surgeon James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

"He had a piece of bone floating in his shoulder,"

However, the injuries were significant enough to limit his availability in the playoffs.

During the Patriots' first postseason game, a 31-20 win over the Jaguars at Gillette Stadium Jan. 12, Randall Gay started at right cornerback in place of Hobbs, who saw action as a sub, and wide receiver Chad Jackson replaced Hobbs on kickoff returns.

Hobbs started in both the AFC Championship game against the San Diego Chargers and the Super Bowl, but he did not return kickoffs in the Super Bowl, as Maroney replaced him.

This marks the second straight offseason that Hobbs will have to deal with rehabilitating an injury. Last offseason, he was recovering from a second surgery to repair a broken scaphoid bone in his left wrist. Hobbs had surgery on the wrist on Sept. 27, 2006, and returned after missing just one game. However, he needed a second surgery in January 2007.

Patriots' Hobbs had injured shoulder, groin - The Boston Globe

Yes, indeed, this guy does just play it up after he's been burnt. Some of you people really need to try doing a little bit of research before just talking out of your backsides.

Sheldon Brown is a much better cornerback than Ellis Hobbs. That would be a huge downgrade for the Eagles if Hobbs started in place of Brown.

Brown is a 5' 10" corner who's a good man-to-man defender and very good in run support. He plays through injuries and averages 2-3 picks a year. He is the exact opposite of Ellis "Toast" Hobbs: he is an inch taller and 4 years older.

Sheldon Brown is a much better cornerback than Ellis Hobbs. That would be a huge downgrade for the Eagles if Hobbs started in place of Brown.

Brown is a 5' 10" corner who's a good man-to-man defender and very good in run support. He plays through injuries and averages 2-3 picks a year. He is the exact opposite of Ellis "Toast" Hobbs: he is an inch taller and 4 years older.

Man, I had to go over this one in my head twice before I could be sure....

Hell, even now I'm not 100% certain.

Last edited:
Wow! Nothing works like tossing reason aside.... You've been consistently wrong, if BB is any sort of guide to go by, but don't let that get to you.

As for playing hurt, his postseason surgeries, and the verification of his injuries by others, should serve quite well to back up his assertions. It's amazing that people like you call the players they like "gritty", "gamer" and the like when they play hurt, but you insult someone like Hobbs because you've got an irrational, but personal, stake in their failure.

Patriots' Hobbs had injured shoulder, groin - The Boston Globe

Yes, indeed, this guy does just play it up after he's been burnt. Some of you people really need to try doing a little bit of research before just talking out of your backsides.

Look, I admit that I don't like Ellis personally. I have met met multiple times and he came accross as an A-Hole every time. I have a friend who works for the Pats and he tells me that Ellis is a hell of a guy, so I might be wrong there. As far as watching Ellis get burnt at the very worst possile moment in time, I am on pretty firm ground. As far as Ellis getting picked on consistently, I am on pretty firm ground there also. As far as Ellis being a good dancer, OK I am wrong, that must be what you were referring to.

At the end of the day BB decided that he could make a better backfield with two new veterans, two second year players and second round draft pick, that pretty much proves my point. Ellis had an inflated sense of self worth, he thought he was one of the best, that is probably why he went out week in and week out and got toasted. I hope he does well with the Eagles, but I'll bet a nickle that he is a back up or a nickle/dime unless somebody gets hurt. He just isn't that good.

Look, I admit that I don't like Ellis personally. I have met met multiple times and he came accross as an A-Hole every time. I have a friend who works for the Pats and he tells me that Ellis is a hell of a guy, so I might be wrong there. As far as watching Ellis get burnt at the very worst possile moment in time, I am on pretty firm ground. As far as Ellis getting picked on consistently, I am on pretty firm ground there also. As far as Ellis being a good dancer, OK I am wrong, that must be what you were referring to.

At the end of the day BB decided that he could make a better backfield with two new veterans, two second year players and second round draft pick, that pretty much proves my point. Ellis had an inflated sense of self worth, he thought he was one of the best, that is probably why he went out week in and week out and got toasted. I hope he does well with the Eagles, but I'll bet a nickle that he is a back up or a nickle/dime unless somebody gets hurt. He just isn't that good.

Ok, I'm not going to bother going any further with this, because you've essentially admitted the bias, ignored the injury part of your argument, and blamed Hobbs for "got toasted" without knowing whether or not he was at fault. It's also being bandied about on another thread, so there's duplication to deal with as well. We clearly disagree and that's not going to change.

Therefore, let me just point to something that's far more important now, given that Hobbs is no longer with the team:

It's nickel, not nickle. :)

Last edited:

is this tongue-in-cheek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey