Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Hobbs finds way to honor Williams:

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/18349
Way to go Ellis ... a man's legacy living on through others is always great.

With a heavy heart, New England Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs said he asked the team's equipment personnel Saturday to make him a T-shirt to wear Sunday.

It had "27" over "RIP Darrent Williams" and Hobbs wore it under his uniform in the Patriots' 37-16 victory over the New York Jets in an AFC wild-card game.

Williams was shot and killed early last Monday morning as he left a New Year's Eve party in a limousine with a group.

Hobbs played at Iowa State but is also in his second year in the NFL, so he knew Williams, who played at Oklahoma State, from their college playing days and from the 2005 NFL scouting combine.

Hobbs, is from DeSoto, Texas, which he said was about 25 minutes from Williams' hometown of Fort Worth. Like Williams did, Hobbs also wears No. 27.

"My heart just goes out to him and his family," Hobbs said. "It just breaks my heart. . . . I'd hate for people to see me die for no reason. My mother, my father, my family _ brothers and sisters _ just heartbreaking. And to die for something so ignorant . . . he was trying to do the right thing, something he wasn't even involved in. I hope they find the guys. It's just real senseless."

Hobbs also wore the shirt for at least part of the pre-game and could technically be fined by the league for violating the uniform code.

The NFL's deal with Reebok for its uniforms not only prohibits players from wearing any other brand during a game, but also for a given amount of time before and after the game.

Hobbs said he'll pay if necessary.

"(The Patriots equipment personnel) were talking about, 'You were getting fined,' but that doesn't bother me," Hobbs said. "If you fine me for that, then you need to question your motives, what are you trying to do? If the NFLPA or the NFL needs that much money, then whatever, man.

"No disrespect to them or anything, but I'm doing it as a friend."

Hobbs hung the shirt over his locker after the game.
There was a moment of silence for Williams before the game

Thanks for posting that
What a loss for the family

Globe Photo, taken by the (BB-pushed) Jim Davis:

1168267007_1170.jpg

kudo to Hobbs. great job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back