PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs, Dillon and Felger Late Night Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I did see a bit of football coverage last night..as I switched back and forth with the incredible BB game...very intensewith a big turnaround in the last minutes.
Ellis Hobbs---It was great to see him and hear him. He has much enthusiasm and will do it all if it helps the team. I love his attitude!! Yea, I know he dances a bit..but it's not to disrespect anyone..just the love and excitement of playing. Really has been a great addition to the team!!
Corey Dllon---I think we have all read the transcript of what he said, but seeing it is so different. One can hear the smug and smarmy Felger with his
questions and one can feel Dillon's frutrations with the media in general. Any time they can get on a player's nerves, they will do that. GO COREY!!!
Then Felger, who was a bit quieter and less offensive and DeOssie talked about motercycles and Branch and I do have to agree with the jerk on this one. It may not end the same as it did with Seymour. They are players odf different talents..Branch NOT IN the top ten and Seymour being one OF the best.

I do wish Ellis would keep his mouth shut a little more. I like the kid and hope that he has a fine season.

He really has not done much in the NFL to be taking as much. Maybe by the end of the season he'll have earned it.

Patsnutme:

I said the same thing on the Warfield thread were Hobbs 'called him out', I questioned (In theory only, since I wasn't there) how much of a big time player and leader he is or if possibly he needs to calm down just a tad bit. I also mentioned his well publicized issues last year with maturity. Virtually everybody disagreed with me, so I guess we will have to see how well he plays all year and whether he is voted in as team captain, before we know the extent of his real leadership.

I like him as a player and hope he plays half as well as he talks. That would be more impressive to me than anything he says in mini-camp!

Like everybody points out, he seems to have a lot of enthusiasm! I hope he ends up in the Pro-bowl because that is the type of attitude he is bringing.

I wish people would leave ellis hobbs alone about the whole ****y/maturity issue. I've had the oppurtunity to talk to him around January last year he is an extremely humble individual. He works harder than some would think. he's a film room rat. He basically said that as a human being hes a down to earth person but as a player, ESPECIALLY AT CB you have to play with a "cautious overconfidence" because you'll lose your share of battles in one game and you have to have the ability to brush it off and continue to play like it never happened (Duane starks couldnt brush it off you could see the lack of confidence on his face). he then gave me some names that fit the bill Ty law, Champ bailey,Charles woodson. I know chris canty had astronomical confidence and did nothing but ellis' point was well taken. Sure the norm in N.E. is to mesh into Belichicks culture of "shut up and do your job" but his attitude, enthusiasm and overall approach to the game is refreshing. I feel like in the few games he played he injected the confidence In the secondary that a rodney harrison would have. He also spoke about how throught his whole life hes had to fight the "Too small" Label so every oppurtunity he has he will let them remember how wrong they were. one of his interesting stories is our home game against the jets last year. Lavernaus coles kept trash talking him about his height and being a rookie nobody and when He picked off the ball in front of lavernaous he let him know how he felt. then the next game vs. the jets heimerdinger made sure ellis wasnt on coles the whole game by moving coles around. I remember an article where ellis said something to the effect of " I dont want the respect right now, I like the feeling of being in third place running for first". After conversating with him I left with the impression that this is a guy that is extremely passionate about what he does and will do whatever it takes to help his team win make sure the "Too Small" label will never follow the name ELLIS HOBBS as long as he's in the NFL. We have what might be the steal of last years draft, and I dont know about you guys but Im going to enjoy watching this guy run for first place.

Last edited:
Everything I've read and heard about Ellis points to him being a good guy.

But, he does need to keep his mouth closed a little more until he proves himself. Just because the media asks you to do these interviews and comments doesn't mean that you have to do all of them. A couple is OK, but he is starting to give people to wrong impression.

He should defer to Geno or Asante- guys who have been around a few years.

thats the competitiveness in a player..calling out a vet when he hasnt done much himself..hes not only 1 around league doing that. he has every right to do so..it motivates the vets..it gets the teams intensity level up. im fine with Hobbs trying to energize the team and get the players pumped

I like Hobbs..and while he had a lot of confidence and excitement,he wasn't at all disrespectful at all. He said a LOT of good things!! Nothing at all wrong with that..remembering the story of how last year..he was at a car wash cleaning his own car...He's a good young leader!

I also am a fan of Ellis. IMO he has a great deal of appreciation for his chance to play in the big game. When he's on the field and involved with a play his whole body seems ready to burst with excitement. His enthusiasm
just seems to get interpreted by some in a negative way,(what a surprise!). I agree that he should take care with his media exposure in these early stages. After all, he's just putting more pressure on himself to live up to his mouth.
That being said, I love his attitude and think that it's part of the subtle makeup that's necessary for a good CB.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
I also mentioned his well publicized issues last year with maturity.
Perhaps I missed your reply concerning this sentence in the other thread, having made a modest effort to stay informed I've not run across any publicity pointing to maturity issues for Hobbs. I would be inreading them if you would point me in the right direction.

Box O Rocks:

I hate to sound like I am down on Hobbs, because I am actually 'Cautiously Optimistic' that he will turn out to be a solid player for years to come. Without overdoing my point, or overplaying my hand, I will just tell you that Hobbs told the media that Belichick took him aside and said that 'In 30 years of coaching, I've never seen anyone disrespect my defense like you!' Further, the media seemed to feel that Duane Starks was left in for so long because Belichick didn't quite trust Hobbs yet. I don't have any up to date references on this whole affair, but I brought it up to suggest that I want to see hobbs play for a whole season as a starter before I decide he is 'above average'. I didn't see him do anything legendary last year, so I am simply withholding my judgement until he has a chance to highlight all his skills.

He seems to be a local hero already in some quarters, I am just trying to remain objective about whether he is the next Ty Law, or just a serviceable cornerback.

Last edited by a moderator:
is there an article as to when BB told Hobbs that he disrspected the D? was this last year as a rookie or right now ? how did he disrespect? i missed it.

This all went down last year in preseason. Hobbs flat out told the media what happened, he could have kept it under his hat and the media wouldn't have even known. It happened in a preseason game when Hobbs was gambling for interceptions but instead gave up a touchdown. I believe it was in the loss to New Orleans. Belichick chewed him out for going against the system. Hobbs told the media. Hobbs was being straight up with the media, and that is a sign of honesty that not everyone would display!

That is why there was speculation as to why Duane wasn't benched a little sooner. Just speculation, nothing substantial.

Again, I don't want to bring up dirty laundry from last preseason as a reason to 'dislike' Hobbs, I am just waiting to get a season long look at him on the field. I have not reached any clear opinion on him at all, because he was not incredible last year, or bad either.

We all thought Eugene Wilson was flat awesome for a while, but he had a really quite year last year, maybe due to the scheme he was in. I just need to see Hobbs play before I pass final judgement on his ability.

oh okay yeah i remember him blowing the play. thats not the kind of players we need but hes improved..hes gotten better..more physical and gained experience. hopefully he wraps it all together and becomes a good starter for years to come. blew it against Devery Henderson i believe :\

Last edited:
Like I said, I am 'Cautiously Optimistic', and don't want to say anything negative about Hobbs, just trying to be objective.

Would be great if he was the next Ty Law....

C'mon your'e bringing up our first pre season game. its almost been a full calander year since, get over it. hobbs was just learning how to play within the system at that point but freelanced a couple of plays in that saints preseason game. After that game he realized that this wasnt college football where you can break off from your responsibilities and rely solely on your athletisism because everything is more cerebral in the NFL . When belechick told him that hes never seen anyone disrespect his defense he was talking about the saints game, one isolated moment in time, im pretty sure belichick doesnt think of him that way anymore. Most rookies go through that in their first couple of months but they get through it. If Ellis builds on what he did for this team last season then He has every right to claim the leadership position. It wasnt like asante or eugene jumped at the oppurtunity to be the next generation of young leaders for the team last year so I admire a young guy like hobbs who will gladly take on that role.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back