PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs, Bradley hurt @ Eagles practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hobbs must've been celebrating a tackle he made 11 yards downfield.:p

Stewart was the C***** B***** of his day. :):(

And he's proven worth it, too.
crying10.gif

Obviously, either would be a loss to the Eagles but losing your starting MLB/defensive signal caller in camp would be a serious blow.

My first thought was "Now that Hobbs is on a new team, they ADMIT it when he's injured."

Good luck to him in bouncing back, especially since he's in a contract year.

Last edited:
I'm hoping for the best for ole' Ellis. The guy wasn't a shutdown corner or anything, but he did a pretty good job by us (even if most of us won't admit it). Hopefully the MRI turns out to be nothing serious and Hobbs is on the field for the Iggles starting Week 1.

Hobbs did the best he could with the talent he had. I'll leave it at that. Good luck EHIII.

I'm hoping for the best for ole' Ellis. The guy wasn't a shutdown corner or anything, but he did a pretty good job by us (even if most of us won't admit it). Hopefully the MRI turns out to be nothing serious and Hobbs is on the field for the Iggles starting Week 1.

I fully agree....hopefully he is ok

I never wish injuries on another teams players.. It stinks that both got hurt. I hope that they are both OK.

Hobbs must've been celebrating a tackle he made 11 yards downfield.:p

From MMQB:

"Saturday, 11 a.m. (Eagles camp) In practice this morning, new cornerback Ellis Hobbs -- acquired for two fifth-round picks from New England on draft day -- deflected a long ball down the left side away from a receiver and exulted, pumping his arms and exciting the crowd. "That's the first time I celebrated with pure emotion in a long time,'' said Hobbs. "In New England, they believe in keeping your emotions down. It zaps the life out of you."'

From MMQB:

"Saturday, 11 a.m. (Eagles camp) In practice this morning, new cornerback Ellis Hobbs -- acquired for two fifth-round picks from New England on draft day -- deflected a long ball down the left side away from a receiver and exulted, pumping his arms and exciting the crowd. "That's the first time I celebrated with pure emotion in a long time,'' said Hobbs. "In New England, they believe in keeping your emotions down. It zaps the life out of you."'

No Ellis, they were protecting you from looking like an ass from when you get burnt 40 yards down field on the next play.

No Ellis, they were protecting you from looking like an ass from when you get burnt 40 yards down field on the next play.

Yes, and also focusing on winning the ball game rather than celebrating small victories along the way. It's the same as Jim Brown's "when you score, act like you've been there before" principle. When a play goes well, act like that's what you expected, and you are already focused on the next one. Don't act like someone who needs perpetual positive feedback to keep your confidence up.

He was a average NFL starter and a good returner, the Eagles fleeced the Patriots by only giving up a 5th rounder.

Yes, and also focusing on winning the ball game rather than celebrating small victories along the way. It's the same as Jim Brown's "when you score, act like you've been there before" principle. When a play goes well, act like that's what you expected, and you are already focused on the next one. Don't act like someone who needs perpetual positive feedback to keep your confidence up.

Tell that to BB, who said "Ellis Hobbs is good for this team" while defending him in 2006 in the face of criticism by the whiners from SD including their QB who lives to taunt opponents, who btw encouraged this team to show more emotion and celebrate success on the field rather than behave like buttoned down robots in 2007 because he knows part of being successful in this game is enjoying doing what you do well...

I guess Bill should run his ideas by the genius killjoys in his fanbase...

Bradley has a Torn ACL.

He was a average NFL starter and a good returner, the Eagles fleeced the Patriots by only giving up a 5th rounder.

Ummm . . . teh Igglez gave up two fifth-rounders for Hobbs, which the Patriots then traded for the picks used on Rich Ohrnberger and Jake Ingram.

It was two 5th round picks. And Hobbs is on the last year of his contract.

Bradley has a Torn ACL.

Just heard that, really awful. Anytime a key starter for any team hits a season-ending injury in camp it makes me queasy. :(

Tell that to BB, who said "Ellis Hobbs is good for this team" while defending him in 2006 in the face of criticism by the whiners from SD including their QB who lives to taunt opponents, who btw encouraged this team to show more emotion and celebrate success on the field rather than behave like buttoned down robots in 2007 because he knows part of being successful in this game is enjoying doing what you do well...

I guess Bill should run his ideas by the genius killjoys in his fanbase...

Let's contrast that with all the times BB has been negative about his own players publicly which never happens. There is almost nothing less meaningful than what BB says about individual players when asked about them. It serves no purpose for him to do anything but praise his players publicly.

I think when you have the player himself saying he was consistently told to tone down his act that it probably a pretty good indicator that Hobbs celebrations weren't popular with the team.

Last edited:
It's not exactly a secret that Hobbs was a flashy, exuberant guy in a non-flashy atmosphere. No big deal. He always seemed to work hard, was a contributor to the team, and said classy things after he was traded away. Hope his injury isn't serious.

Let's contrast that with all the times BB has been negative about his own players publicly which never happens. There is almost nothing less meaningful than what BB says about individual players when asked about them. It serves no purpose for him to do anything but praise his players publicly.

I think when you have the player himself saying he was consistently told to tone down his act that it probably a pretty good indicator that Hobbs celebrations weren't popular with the team.

Where did he say he was consistently told to tone down his act? In the King interview he said he was bouncing around on the sidelines in his first playoff game when someone tapped him on the shoulder and told him to calm down. That has nothing to do with his reactions on the field. And there are likely as many tight asses in the organization and on the sidelines as there were in the stands and on this message board. Ellis had ears and he heard his critics, professional and amateur, all along the way.

Bill is more likely to almost damn his players with faint praise then publicly praise them. He was pretty obviously ticked at the criticism of Hobbs at that juncture in 2006 and that is why he said what he did pretty matter of factly. I heard Bill explain his rationale for why he wanted his players to enjoy what they were doing and express that enjoyment by celebrating good plays on the field coming off a disappointing 2006 season. And I realized once again he's not nearly the tight ass most fans and media make him out to be. He not only gets football, he gets football players and their mentality. Heck, he likes Ocho Stinko despite the antics, which in his case can be damaging... People singled Ellis out here because by 2006 he wasn't doing enough to singlehandedly save the defense. Boo freakin' hoo. By and large he was pretty consistently doing his job, which is more than you could say for many on this D at the time or since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back