PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs: Belichick is misunderstood

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a stand up and honest interview with Ellis. Although he couldn't cover a lick, he always competed hard, and is a great KO returner.

Good luck in Philly. I hope we meet them in the Super Bowl so he can help Brady break the Super Bowl TD record. :)

Last edited:
Well he just earned a boat load of my respect. What a great guy, I wish him all the luck in Philly.

Nice way to leave - that shows how smart he is as well as classy...

Also his parting comment about being too hard on fans who booed that debacle of a Miami game and him thinking he didn't handle it the right way

I agree with him - that wasn't the Ellis Hobbs we knew around here - and it wasn't the classy guy who had all those classy comments to make - which is precisely why it surprised me so much when he said it.

I'm not expecting ANY Patriot to like it when fans boo their poor play - but if and when that happens I'd prefer they look to their OWN performance rather than second guess the fans expressing their opinion.

how easy it is to spot true class

I always thought he was an underrated player who got a bad shake from fans when he was playing though injuries on an island with very little support. He's a damn good CB as far as I'm concerned and I always thought he seemed like a real good guy. It may be cliche, but losing solid locker room leaders like Hobbs and Vrabel hurts maybe even more than losing their on field contributions.

That was a nice interview. I think Hobbs gets kind of a bad rap. He's done a solid job for the Pats.

I do think Belichick deserves some credit for moving on from both Vrabel and Hobbs in a way that is much more positive for the player than a training camp roster cut. One of the downsides of free agency and the salary cap is that it makes these departures inevitable, either because the cap hit becomes too high or because negotiating a new contract just isn't in the cards.

So when is Hobbs contract up? He sure is leaving the door open to returning (for less $, of course). Can't think of a much better guy to have at nickel/KR.

Good luck Ellis, those were very classy parting words. A lot of people could learn from you. Your comments really show that you understand the business side of football and I commend you for that.

So when is Hobbs contract up? He sure is leaving the door open to returning (for less $, of course). Can't think of a much better guy to have at nickel/KR.

After this season. I'd be surprised to see him come back though, personally.

yeah I really wish we didn't trade him and Vrabel.

A couple of years ago, he pulled a guy out of a burning car on route 1. Never made the news, because hes a "bad guy".

uhm is that ture? :wha:

and hobbs is a classy player, i think he will be missed he may have never made those huge plays but he gave it his all and imo he was always a great #2 corner, but this year when he had to be the main guy i can see why he struggled.

He thinks the media is mostly useless, and the media is petty. Therefore, he must be an arrogant selfish jerk to not like them. It can't be that he's right, and they're a waste of his time.

Most of BB's animosity towards the media stems from his time in Cleveland. The media there hated Art Modell, so BB became guilty by association. (It didn't help that soon after his arrival BB cut Bernie Kosar, though in retrospect most people grudgingly agree that Kosar was overrated to begin with and past his prime when he was cut loose.)

But anyway, by that time Modell was having less and less contact with the media because they were slamming him so bad (and because he was in such financial dire straits, which led to his moving the team, but that's another thread.) Since the media couldn't get to Modell, they took out their frustration on Belichick, who quickly learned that if he told a reporter, "Well it's raining today, but we could use a bit of rain now and then", he'd open the newspaper the next day and see "Belichick: 'I Hate Sunshine'".

Hence by the time he got to New England, BB employed the strategy of giving the media precious little rope to hang him with. ;)

Ellis Hobbs has always been a warrior with a huge heart, who plays through significant injuries and pain, and has all the leadership and winning intangibles you want in any championship level player.

If only he were 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier...

He was a #2/#3 corner and kick returner who ended up playing in roles over his head many times in NE.

+1. I always liked the guy. Tough, played hurt, and was an impact player on special teams. A pretty solid #2 CB too in my book, despite his size.

He got a bad rap on this board from people who don't know **** about football.

I'm not expecting ANY Patriot to like it when fans boo their poor play - but if and when that happens I'd prefer they look to their OWN performance rather than second guess the fans expressing their opinion.

I think that's kind of bull personally. Any fan who pays a ticket has a right to boo if they wish, but for what the Pats have done over the years, I don't think they deserved to be booed at that game for one bad half of football. I would have said the same thing if I was a player.

It's good to hear the truth about BB
Hobbs knows he was lucky to play w/ us
least he has a job!

btw.....

I always liked it when Hobbs returned kicks.
Not bad.

Of course hes misunderstood. His whole "persona" is a media created joke.

A couple of years ago, he pulled a guy out of a burning car on route 1. Never made the news, because hes a "bad guy".

On the other hand, Tony Dungy, who is a good guy, was the keynote speaker for a fundraiser for a hate group, but thats not a big deal.

Ummmmmmm, "Pulled a guy from a burning car" is a bit of a stretch.:rolleyes:

New England Patriots | projo.com | The Providence Journal
But yeah, the media crap is spot on.

Okay, pulled a guy from a flipped over car that looked like it was going to burst into flames. Any better?

But according to the story, they were already out of the car when BB got there, so he didn't pull anybody from a vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes