PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hobbs: Belichick is misunderstood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beat me to it! Very nice to hear. I always like Ellis, but my respect for him just went up ten fold. It nice to hear a player not taking shots at a team after they are traded or released. I bet the 4 letter network didnt like hearing what Ellis had to say. I wish Hobbs luck with Philly. Just not against the Pats.

Hobbs: Belichick is misunderstood

Former Patriots cornerback Ellis Hobbs was a guest on ESPN's "First Take" program today, and ESPN.com AFC East blogger Tim Graham posts video of the appearance.

While Hobbs now says his heart is in Philadelphia, he didn't take any parting shots at the Patriots. Instead, in what was one part of the interview that stood out, he unexpectedly jumped to Bill Belichick's defense (with 1:10 left in segment).

After answering a question about how he'd some day like to be an animator for Disney, Hobbs was asked by host Dana Jacobson what type of Disney character Bill Belichick would be.

"Bill gets a hard time amongst the media, amongst you guys, and in the public," he said. "If anything, I'd say he's like the Hunchback of Notre Dame without the face and the hunchback. Rough exterior, but he has a kind heart and he means well. He just goes about it differently. ... Everybody has him all wrong."

Looking back, Hobbs also said he regretted one situation from his time in New England -- when he called out the team's fans.

"I didn't handle that situation the right away, now looking back on it," he said.

Last edited:
Ellis Hobbs has always been a warrior with a huge heart, who plays through significant injuries and pain, and has all the leadership and winning intangibles you want in any championship level player.

If only he were 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier...

He was a #2/#3 corner and kick returner who ended up playing in roles over his head many times in NE.

Last edited:
Surprised espn even bothered to run the story when Hobbs refused to take the bait.

Of course hes misunderstood. His whole "persona" is a media created joke.

A couple of years ago, he pulled a guy out of a burning car on route 1. Never made the news, because hes a "bad guy".

On the other hand, Tony Dungy, who is a good guy, was the keynote speaker for a fundraiser for a hate group, but thats not a big deal.

Good for Ellis Hobbs for being the stand up kind of guy after departure.
Good luck in Philly, kid.

Did they bring up spygate:D

Bravo to Hobbs for being classy about it.

Actually pretty impressed by what he said.

I'm going to miss Ellis. Regardless of his stats, he was a true Patriot.

I am also a fan of Ellis and will miss him. It's not his fault he was the top corner on a team that didn't have enough of them. He played hurt, played hard, was a leader and always gave it everything he had. I hope he does well with Philly, except when we play them in the Super Bowl and Randy Moss beats him deep.

That was stand up of Ellis, thanks for posting it! I think he's still struggling a bit with being traded,still trying to understand why and I really feel badly for him in that regard. It's the way of the NFL but it still must be tough when it's unexpected. Now he'll go b*ch it up with Asante:p

Of course hes misunderstood. His whole "persona" is a media created joke.

A couple of years ago, he pulled a guy out of a burning car on route 1. Never made the news, because hes a "bad guy".

On the other hand, Tony Dungy, who is a good guy, was the keynote speaker for a fundraiser for a hate group, but thats not a big deal.

What hate group? Not defending that blowhard, just curious.

Hobbs sounds like a good guy. Best of luck to ya'.

"like the hunchback of notre dame, only w/o the hunchback and the face...."

that would make a good hallmark card.

Really? I never heard that either.

Personally I never "got" why BB is supposed to be evil and arrogant. He seems to me to be a guy who doesn't want to be there, when "there" means in front of the media, in the crosshairs so to speak.

Some people thrive in those situations, natural performers who are coaches. Extroverts. BB is a classic introvert. Not that he can't hang out with other people, but on his terms in his way...

Introverts that aren't successful are nerds. Successful ones are geeks. BB is a geek (a football geek.) It's not that he can't stand his ground. It's more like he's suffering [football] fools at any time he's speaking in public, and I think he does a good job of breaking stuff down and talking to the public (/media) with respect about stuff they/we don't get at the level he does.

But you can feel he doesn't really want to be there, and that's his big sin. He's not all chipper and perky and loving the opportunity to talk to one more gosh-darn wunnerful human being. He's thinking "everybody says don't blitz a strong safety out of a cover two shell but what if..."

wow, hobbs is a good guy after all.....we should trade one of our twos to get him back......

Personally I never "got" why BB is supposed to be evil and arrogant. He seems to me to be a guy who doesn't want to be there, when "there" means in front of the media, in the crosshairs so to speak.

Some people thrive in those situations, natural performers who are coaches. Extroverts. BB is a classic introvert. Not that he can't hang out with other people, but on his terms in his way...

Introverts that aren't successful are nerds. Successful ones are geeks. BB is a geek (a football geek.) It's not that he can't stand his ground. It's more like he's suffering [football] fools at any time he's speaking in public, and I think he does a good job of breaking stuff down and talking to the public (/media) with respect about stuff they/we don't get at the level he does.

But you can feel he doesn't really want to be there, and that's his big sin. He's not all chipper and perky and loving the opportunity to talk to one more gosh-darn wunnerful human being. He's thinking "everybody says don't blitz a strong safety out of a cover two shell but what if..."

I never looked at it that way before. Great insight.

He thinks the media is mostly useless, and the media is petty. Therefore, he must be an arrogant selfish jerk to not like them. It can't be that he's right, and they're a waste of his time.

Bye, Ellis! I've had mixed feelings about Hobbs, but have to edge toward liking him more than not. I think I just really wanted him to be better than he was, but then again, it wasn't like he didn't try, IMO. Best of luck to him to him on the Eagles. Unless we meet in the SB again, of course! :D

And way to go leaving with such nice (and accurate!) parting comments about BB. You stay classy, Ellis Hobbs!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye