PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets taking the lead in the second half wasn't as "sudden" as you make it out to be. Nor was the lead itself so large that it would have forced the Pats to go to the air on every play. The Patriots still could have afforded to keep a good mix of runs and passes to at least try to keep the defense off guard.

Don't even know what you're arguing here anymore. You claimed the fact that they chose to run AND pass "destroyed" my claim that they should have known and been prepared for their inability to run against the Jets. As, in all likelihood, said inability would be the reality. And, now, in hindsight, we see that it was.

I can't see how he would be considering how the ZBS has been the primary blocking scheme that we've used since BB has been here. Again, it's also best suited for our offensive line. However, you who are complaining about lack of adjustments, shouldn't be complaining about this. The running game wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in the first half. The coaching staff decided to mix some things up. The interior run blocking still sucked.

Uh, no. Making the wrong adjustment is just as bad as making no adjustment at all. And I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single halftime where the latter has occurred.

No. In order for this offense, or any offense for that matter, to have success, there needs to be a good mix of run and pass. Very few teams and quarterbacks are going to have success with passing the ball 50+ times while completely abandoning the running game. If calling a run play on 2nd and 10 with Brady at the helm for 3rd down is your biggest complaint about O'Brien, you should probably take a better look at your gripe.

The contingency plan was in place as the Pats adjusted to pass more often, as has been pointed out. The lack of execution isn't the fault of the coaching staff. Execution comes down to the players on the field.

I'm well aware of what it takes for an offense to have success. My point this entire time, including the example you sarcastically quoted, is that this isn't about individual play calling in particular (as questionable as some of them may be). It's about coming out and playing great in the first half, and then collapsing in the second.

Again, I just don't know how you could look at that trend and reflexively chalk it up to execution. I'm not sure whether you can attribute anything directly, but it's something worth considering and the counter arguments, to this point, haven't really made much sense (on the offensive side of the ball).

A couple more comments rewatching now...

Starting at 11:21 to go in the 3rd, Pats on offense, leading 14-10.

1st and 10: Run right Taylor. Koppen run over by #70 Mike DeVito, who makes initial contact w/ Taylor. Result: loss of 1.
2nd and 11: Trips left. Bubble screen to Welker. #85 Hernandez whiffs on a block of #30 Drew Coleman. Result: loss of 2.
3rd and 13: Brady throws downfield to Moss. Intercepted. Gronk wide open left flat, wouldn't have made a first down, but could have moved the team to within field goal range.

Looks like execution problems to me.

Later...

Jets have the ball 3rd and 1 w/ 8:27 to go in the 3rd. The entire Pats front 7 bite hard on play-action. Dustin Keller flies downfield between a momentarily frozen Chung and Butler. Sanchez rolls out and lobs it to him for a pickup of 39.

An inexperienced defense falling for play-action on short yardage. Who woulda thunk it?

Last edited:
Don't even know what you're arguing here anymore. You claimed the fact that they chose to run AND pass "destroyed" my claim that they should have known and been prepared for their inability to run against the Jets. As, in all likelihood, said inability would be the reality. And, now, in hindsight, we see that it was.

Actually, you should check your reading comprehension. I claimed the fact that they ran as much as they did in the first half destroyed your point that they knew ahead of time that the running game would be useless. The amount of times that they ran in the first half shows that to not be the case. On top of that, if the coaching staff came into the game saying, "hey, the Ravens couldn't run so why should we?", then they should be handed their walking papers immediately.

In your attempt to belittle the coordinators, you haven't proposed a single idea yourself that makes the least bit of sense.

Uh, no. Making the wrong adjustment is just as bad as making no adjustment at all. And I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a single halftime where the latter has occurred.

What blocking scheme would you have executed in order to make the run game more efficient? Keep in mind the overall size and strengths of our offensive line when giving your answer.

I'm well aware of what it takes for an offense to have success. My point this entire time, including the example you sarcastically quoted, is that this isn't about individual play calling in particular (as questionable as some of them may be). It's about coming out and playing great in the first half, and then collapsing in the second.

And I'm absolutely baffled as to why you think the offensive coordinator had more to do with that than the play on the field given the specific examples of plays that killed us in the second half in both this thread and the thread posted by Deus Irae.

Again, I just don't know how you could look at that trend and reflexively chalk it up to execution. I'm not sure whether you can attribute anything directly, but it's something worth considering and the counter arguments, to this point, haven't really made much sense (on the offensive side of the ball).

Because the trend started last year. A year in which we took a step back personnel-wise. We lost the stalwarts that made us into a dynasty and introduced lesser and/or far less experienced players on both sides of the ball. It's really simple, when you have the lack of execution on both sides of the ball that we had in the Jets game, collapses like the one we had one Sunday and the ones we saw last season are going to happen.

Four of five drives were either ended or crippled because of bad passes by Brady. The fifth was finished on a strip sack of Brady caused by Jason Taylor who found himself one on one with Matt Light. You stated that there should have been a contingency plan in place. I showed you that there was one after the run didn't work in the first half and the team went more to the pass in the second half. With all of that in mind, what do you propose O'Brien could have done in order to make those drives more productive?

I'd be disappointed in Brady if he caused dissension by overtly questioning the coaching staff... but rewind what Brady said. Certainly, by implication, he blamed the coaching staff in one quote.

1. Brady was clearly not in the motion of throwing by the time Gronk had already broken off of his "block" and waited for a pass.

2. If the coaching staff had made the offense more one dimensional throughout the entire game, we would have gotten beaten worse. Making an offensive gameplan more one dimensional against a defense like the Jets is a horrible idea.

3. Where do you see Brady "overtly" blaming the coaching staff? Please give evidence. Seemed to me like he was blaming execution more than anything. Belichick was too.

4. Once again, it's not the decision to throw to Moss that I had a problem with. I was just doing due diligence by pointing out other options. The fact that he decided to throw to Moss when Moss was 1-on-1 with Cromartie is not a problem. The throw, aka the EXECUTION, is.

1. Brady was clearly not in the motion of throwing by the time Gronk had already broken off of his "block" and waited for a pass.

4. Once again, it's not the decision to throw to Moss that I had a problem with. I was just doing due diligence by pointing out other options. The fact that he decided to throw to Moss when Moss was 1-on-1 with Cromartie is not a problem. The throw, aka the EXECUTION, is.

Gronk was not a -good- option, but you agree with Brady's decision so it's a moot point.

Just speaking to offensive point #6...watch the replay of the second Brady pick and you'll see where Brandon Tate has gone. He gets a clean release off the jam right up the seam, wide open, and Brady doesn't even look at him. If you're a WR and your name isn't Moss or Welker, you aren't getting the ball when Brady gets blitzed.

Gronk wide open left flat, wouldn't have made a first down, but could have moved the team to within field goal range.

When Brady started to throw to Moss, Gronk was still engaged as a pass blocker. Gronk didn't start to move into the flat until Brady took a step back and planted his foot to throw. Brady had already spent 4 seconds scanning the field. There were only a couple Jets rushing on that play.

The fact that you had 8 guys covering out there, and Randy was one on one, means that the Jets had a defensive breakdown somewhere.

Well, I've been indisposed for the last couple of days with a really bad fever. It really hasn't gotten much better, but it's good enough that I can get out of my bed and actually visit this website. To be honest, I was expecting much worse than what I've seen so far. But, then again, I haven't seen it all yet. Anyway, with all that in mind, here are my thoughts based on what I saw...

Offensively:
1. The ONLY complaint I have in regards to the coaching is the fact that Gronk was used more as a blocker than a receiver in the passing game. I understand why it happened, though. The thing with playing the Jets is that they overload one side of the line with the blitz. So keeping all the blockers back that you can is understandable. However, I thought that we should have used our 6'7" athletic freak match-up nightmare of a tight end a little bit more than we did. Especially with who he would have been matched up against. In the end, Gronkowski has only been targeted three times in the last two games. In order for this offense to have more success, he'll have to be featured in the passing game more than that.

2. The offensive line, for the most part, protected Brady well. But they were absolutely horrible in run blocking. The main culprit in the run blocking failures was Dan Koppen. He was consistently unable to handle DeVito and it showed. The inside run blocking, coupled by the failures at the RB position, were effectively what slowed down this running game and made the team increasingly more one dimensional. With that said, we could have also used a guy like Maroney in there instead of BJGE and his 1.9 YPC average.

3. Just to compound point number two, if this offense keeps abandoning the running game to go to the air time and time again, we're not going to have much success moving the ball this season. However, I will put that fault on the personnel in the game more than the coordinators and the coaches. Logan Mankins was possibly our best run blocker. His loss was being felt against a defense the calibre of the Jets. Koppen has always had trouble against bigger DT's and it showed again on Sunday. Stephen Neal, who is normally extremely solid, also whiffed on a couple of blocks that he shouldn't have... one of them on a key third down. There's no way around it... the interior blocking HAS to be better for this offense to execute.

4. Where has Brandon Tate been? After a solid TC and a great offseason, Tate has all but disappeared during the regular season so far. As the split end in this offense, and the WR3 in the passing game, we need more from him. Especially when he's going one on one with his man.

5. Brady looked absolutely baffled in there at times on Sunday. I sincerely hope that this is the one stinker that he usually manages to put up year after year. After looking sharper than ever in Week 1 and spreading the ball around to the open man, Brady was making mistakes on plays like the deep throw to Moss that got intercepted by Cromartie. On that play, at least two guys were open in the passing game. One of them was Gronk who could have broken off some series YAC. His other interception to Pool was also a horrible throw. A better pass in that situation would have led to a new set of downs.

6. Aaron Hernandez is going to be a presence in our passing game this season. His presence was felt on Sunday and I've felt good about him ever since he's been drafted. However, he whiffed on at least one block on a key screen to Welker. On screen plays, he either needs to be taken out of the game, or he needs to do a better job of blocking. If neither happen, we might as well abandon the screen or our most important slot receiver will get killed.

Defensively:
1. Wilfork is a beast against the run, but that's about it when it comes to our defensive line. The Jets were just the start of something we will see all season. For all intents and purposes, our starting DE's are Wright and Warren. They are huge question marks against the run. This past game saw the Patriots use packages which moved Wilfork from NT/DT to DE and the Jets, particularly Tomlinson, responded by attacking the holes that were left by Wilfork's move. Our deficiencies at DE that started prior to 2009 are something that a lot of us have been harping about as the offseason went on and those nightmares, which were not exploited by the Bengals, came to life against a divisional opponent that had clearly done their homework. On top of this, Brace also had trouble, albeit sporadically, getting off blocks against both a single OT and against double teams.

2. Mayo, while a good WILB in most phases of his game, has to do a better job of getting off blocks by OG's. This is the one area of his game that has been a weakness since he got drafted, and it showed again on Sunday. At SILB, we saw some growing pains with Spikes, who also had trouble getting off of a few blocks. On top of that, he also blew important coverages... one of them on a big reception by Keller.

3. The tackling, all the way around, took a huge step back from Week 1 to Week 2. From our LB's to our CB's to our safeties, the tackling flat out sucked this past week. That's something that has to absolutely drive the coaching staff, particularly Belichick, absolutely crazy. It's also something that needs to be corrected because we had numerous opportunities to get off the field which were subsequently blown because of missed tackles.

4. On top of our DE's getting completely taken out of running plays by the Jets' OT's, the only OLB who showed even a remote knack for setting the edge was Jermaine Cunningham. Even then, he wasn't consistent at it. The OLBs' presence against both the run and the pass was something that was a question mark for this defense entering the offseason. Sadly, it's still a question mark. However, with that said, I like what I saw from Cunningham in particular. He showed good technique in getting a push toward the backfield on multiple plays. He should have a bright future with us if he keeps this up. Sadly, I can't say the same for Ninkovich in any area. Absolutely no ability to set the edge, not much better in the pass rush, and a liability in coverage.

5. We officially started seeing our growing pains at CB this last Sunday. I don't think I really need to go into detail on Butler. It was apparent to anybody with a set of eyes how badly he got abused. However, McCourty didn't hold up much better either. This was evidenced on the TD play to Cotchery, who made a simple double move on McCourty, then cut back inside for the easy TD. This should be the first of many growing pains this season as our young corners learn on the run. We need to offset this with better play from the front seven. However, with the personnel issues we have there, I'm not sure how much easier we can make life for our young corners.

6. I have never been one to harp on the pass rush here, but it would be inappropriate if I didn't mention it today. Earlier, I was going to go with a description of "utterly abysmal" to describe the pass rush, but that would be a compliment. Instead, I'll go with "completely non-existent". At one point, I counted Sanchez having six seconds to stand back in the pocket in the second half in order to complete a pass. That's absolutely unacceptable. Rodak, IMO, did a good job of pointing out that the Patriots defense probably could have afforded to be a little more aggressive in the second half on Jets' passing plays. However, by my watch, we still weren't having much success getting to Sanchez even on blitzes. While the earlier dynasty didn't live on the pass rush, it was able to generate one from multiple angles which consistently got to the quarterback. This defense? Not even close. If that keeps up, quarterbacks like Manning, Rivers, Rodgers, and even Roethlisberger are going to absolutely pick us apart.

Two sad facts:
1. Mark Sanchez outplayed Tom Brady in this game.

2. Having gone 21/30 for 221 yards and 3 TD's, Mark Sanchez completed a career day against our vaunted defense. That makes him the third quarterback since the start of the 2009 season to have a career day against the Patriots defense, joining the immortal Chad Henne and the venerable Kyle Orton.

Absolutely GREAT post! I agree with all that you said. I too noticed how Brady was not seeing open receivers. Strange, but it happened. He seemed to want to throw it to Moss when Revis went down, to the exclusion of what got them the first half lead in the first place.

Also, the non-existent pass rush that you describe has been SO painful to watch since last year. The QBs just sit back there waiting, and it's agony to watch as a fan.

Anyway, great, fantastic, terriffic post.

Tackling as a team is a symptom of preparation.

You're not going to have success with any adjustments if the team wasn't fully prepared to start with. I do put that on the coaches.

This team can't afford to give games away. Especially when it comes to the offense.

Just reading through the first page of replies and a few people seem upset at how we used Gronk. You know when he was drafted who BB compared him too right? Kyle Brady.

I think jays's principal argument from the podcast is an interesting one that explains an otherwise puzzling phenomenon: why the Patriots consistently have had such good performance in the 1st half -- they were #1 in the league in point differential in the 1st half last year -- and such bad performance in the 2nd half, an unfortunate trend that seems to be continuing this year. His explanation is that Belichick can be involved in crafting the game plans and hence provide major assists to his coordinators, but has no time at half time to do both coordinators jobs.

jays is also attributing the coordinator problem specifically to Bill O'Brien and the offense, not the defense. That also makes sense to me, both because we had an experienced DC last year but no OC, and because we can be sure that at half time Belichick will choose to spend time with the defense, not the offense.

His specific complaint about the Jets game was that the Patriots had an excellent offensive game plan going in, and succeeded in stymying the Jets pressure defense, but when the Jets responded by changing to a containment defense, the Patriots seemed unprepared and unimaginative. He attributes this to poor adjustments by O'Brien.

So he's only claiming that there's a Bill O'Brien problem, and that the defensive lapses are more talent and experience based.

It is certainly worth noting that superior coaching with inferior talent will in general lead to a game opening advantage that will dissipate over time as the team with superior talent adjusts: there's a lot more time to scheme before a game than during.

That said, the 2nd half offensive fall off last year and so far this year are remarkable. At least in this last game, it was a shocking difference half to half. Throughout the 1st half the Patriots seemed the superior team and even with only a 14-10 half time lead, I felt confident they would win the game. Everyone I was with noticed the change in the Jets defense 2nd half, and were complaining about the unimaginative play calling in response.

On another note, even though Brady can absolutely be faulted for locking onto to Moss once again, Bill O'Brien is the OC and is still responsible if his QB makes bad decisions. He needs to have real-time insight into what's working and what's not working, and he has to command the respect of his QB enough to get him to make changes as necessary. My guess is that Brady either wasn't getting help from O'Brien or wasn't respecting him enough to change what he was doing.

Finally, in my opinion Welker is nowhere recovered, and doesn't have the supernatural burst and quickness he had the last three years. He's not getting the separation and the YAC we've been accustomed to. And Faulk looked like he was slowing down even before he was lost during the game. Those two players were responsible for a huge part of Brady's ball control game, and there is no evidence that Brady or O'Brien have accepted that the offense needs to be reworked around other talent. Faulk is gone, Welker is slower, and Moss is older. The Patriots need to consider using Moss and Welker more often as decoys, and having plays with Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Tate the 1st option, not the last (I'd add Edelman to that list but he seems to still be hurt as well). The loss of Faulk will by itself force some soul searching, and perhaps Belicheck, O'Brien, and Brady will come out with something more original than Brady locking in on Welker and Moss...

Last edited:
Well, I've been indisposed for the last couple of days with a really bad fever. It really hasn't gotten much better, but it's good enough that I can get out of my bed and actually visit this website. To be honest, I was expecting much worse than what I've seen so far. But, then again, I haven't seen it all yet. Anyway, with all that in mind, here are my thoughts based on what I saw...

Two sad facts:
1. Mark Sanchez outplayed Tom Brady in this game.

2. Having gone 21/30 for 221 yards and 3 TD's, Mark Sanchez completed a career day against our vaunted defense. That makes him the third quarterback since the start of the 2009 season to have a career day against the Patriots defense, joining the immortal Chad Henne and the venerable Kyle Orton.

Thanks, Kontra, and hope you're feeling better.

I'm amazed sometimes at how well a few of you on this board can break down a game. I feel I know something about football and the NFL, but at times I feel like a first grader.

Two questions.

One, you didn't mention Gostkowski's inconsistency so far this season. He takes too long to get the first try off at the 15 (32 yards) and then misses the second five yards back. Seems to me that if the Pats get inside the 20, weather permitting, three points has to be automatic unless there's a turnover. As someone else observed, if the FG "make vs. miss" is reversed between the Jets and Pats in the first half, we're up 17--7 and the lockerrooms could well have been different places at halftime. Thoughts?

Two, how many more outings like Sunday will it take for you to start to wonder if RRG's quote in your signature starts to look prescient? :) I have them at 10--6 and have seen nothing so far to move me off that number; they've played three good/very good halves and one stinker. But, last Sunday has to be an aberration for it to hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back