PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hmmm: Is there apathy toward the 1996 Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 to be 4

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I have to admit, im kind of stunned there was such a small response to the
10th anniversary of the Patriots winning the 1996 AFC Championship thread.

It brings up a question for everyone. Obviously there is much celebration among us for the Belichick/Brady era. And we wax nostalgic for all things of the 60's. There has been a huge response when the late 70's teams are discussed and, of course, the 1985 team, the first Patriot team to go to the Super Bowl.

But there isnt ever much talk about the Bill Parcells teams. Sure, there is lots of Drew Bledsoe discussion. But not much at all about the 1996 AFC Champions. Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Terry Glenn, Ben Coates, Shawn Jefferson, Bruce Armstrong, Ted Johnson, Todd Collins, Chris Slade, Otis Smith, Willie Clay, Law, Milloy, Vinatieri. That was a great, great season.

Is it because of how Parcells left? Or because that team lost the Super Bowl?

I remember being so proud of that team when they came back from the 10-0 defit to charge ahead 14-10. I was convinced they were actually going to win it at that point and that in Bledsoe,Glenn, and Martin we were looking at the new Aikman, Irvin, and Smith. And when they came back to pull within 27-21 I again, was so proud of them.

We were lucky enough to get a do-over 5 years later. In New Orleans. Summerall and Madden. But that 1996 made a great showing. They werent a fluke. And I'll always love that team.

10 years ago today I went into work flying so high.

lets never forget.

Last edited:
personally still a great memory of that team

i loved that run at the Super Bowl

pity we lost - still was a great season imo

It brings up a question for everyone. Obviously there is much celebration among us for the Belichick/Brady era. And we wax nostalgic for all things of the 60's. There has been a huge response when the late 70's teams are discussed and, of course, the 1985 team, the first Patriot team to go to the Super Bowl.

But there isnt ever much talk about the Bill Parcells teams. Sure, there is lots of Drew Bledsoe discussion. But not much at all about the 1996 AFC Champions. Bledsoe, Curtis Martin, Terry Glenn, Ben Coates, Shawn Jefferson, Bruce Armstrong, Ted Johnson, Todd Collins, Chris Slade, Otis Smith, Willie Clay, Law, Milloy, Vinatieri. That was a great, great season.

I remember being so proud of that team when they came back from the 10-0 defit to charge ahead 14-10. I was convinced they were actually going to win it at that point and that in Bledsoe,Glenn, and Martin we were looking at the new Aikman, Irvin, and Smith. And when they came back to pull within 27-21 I again, was so proud of them.

We were lucky enough to get a do-over 5 years later. In New Orleans. Summerall and Madden. But that 1996 made a great showing. They werent a fluke. And I'll always love that team.

lets never forget.

People do seem to forget that team. In these last 10 years we have been 113 and 63. These are great, great times.

Great team. I find it amazing that we are 5-0 in the AFC Championship game.

lets never forget.

Maybe it's because the team 10 years ago was so close chronologically to the super bowl winning teams, and because there were even a few common players, that they tend to "merge" in people's minds. Yeah, Parcells coaching vs. Belichick and Bledsoe at QB vs. Brady are big differences, but that team seems like just a precursor to greatness now. The postseason games were outstanding though, until the super bowl. I've got a VHS format of that tape somewhere that I've never looked at. Major retribution wanted for that one.:mad:

I remember Lovett Purnell had a huge catch in that Jaguars game. And the halftime show for the Jags game, some guy came out singing "I saw mama kissin' dad's banana, daylight come everyone go home" and then they unfurled a huge American flag. That was the number 1 weirdest halftime show until the Chinese-themed one with the Teletubbies in inner tubes and the stereotypical Chinese music during the Broncos game this year overtook it.

Last edited:

Is it because of how Parcells left?
Or because that team lost the Super Bowl?

lets never forget.

Bingo! Turned into another Fairbanks leaving, "we'll never win" for me.

I was proud of the way they took on Green Bay though. We were on the move when Desmond Howard put the keebosh on things.

I was proud of Bledsoe. Thought he played well before the run back made things a little deperate.

Last edited:
when you're right, your right. I really liked Shawn Jefferson and the core of our SB defenses came from that team.

There's no doubt the solid core of veterans is why BB won with a young quarterbcak and great free agent acquisitions.

As much as I admired Coates, my lasting memory is Bledsoe forcing balls to him after he'd lost a step and getting intercepted.

The Bobby Grier years.......Seems we cherry picked the best of that team and ditched the excess salaries in the OLine and Krafts early missteps favoring Grier's personnel judgement over Parcells.

Also, Denver's loss made it look like a gift. I feel we can beat Denver anytime now, despite our record, but i didn't have much hope we could that year.

I'm not a Colts fan, therefore I dont celebrate losing teams.

You may have missed it but I had a poll asking the same question: Whether the lack of interest was due to ignorance or apathy.

The answers: 50% said "I don't know" and 50% said "I don't care"

if only troy brown had played special teams so they would have tackled howard on that damn kickoff......

Frankly, that was kind of a fluke team. If not for the Denver upset, I don't think the Pats make the bowl that year. I am very fond of the '96 edition of the Patriots, it featured Curtis Martin at his absolute peak - had Parcells not had a brainfart and kicked to Howard, I think that team could have won that game, as Martin was really starting to take the game over in the third quarter. That 21 yard touchdown he had, taking that short pass and running through the Green Bay defense, was a thing of beauty. Never should have left for the Jests, Curtis...

I think that the reason for the disinterest in that team is that it wasn't the first(1985) or the last (2001 on) hurts that team history. To tell the truth that Super Bowl loss was worst to me then 1985 because of what we learned later about Parcells and the Packers( really wasn't that good).

I don't think that team was a fluke except it was probably a year early... but the next year would have been a no-go because of the broncos and their talent.

They were (overall) more talented at the offensive skill positions than any other team I've watched since I became a fan 15 years ago, very well coached, played tough defense... They are TOTALLY overlooked, though, because they had to play against the Packers who were a team on a mission. Nobody figures the Packers could lose to any team that season and they also had Reggie White in his final year... From a media/public confidence standpoint, the Pats had a terrible matchup and we have all largely forgotten that game, even Pats supporters. For me it was a highlight of my young sports fandom, however, and I haven't ever forgotten being up 14-10 and BSing with my friend at halftime that we could still win the game

I honestly feel the answer lies in the fact that Patriots fans couldn't really even enjoy the game for itself.

Will McDonough had hijacked the entire day for so many of us. L'affaire Parcells became the entire story.

Have you ever seen 53 men treated like a potted plant at Super Bowl Week?

You had:

a) The Green Bay Packer/Brett Favre/Reggie White Media Mania - -let's face it, they were America's team that year. The Patriots, in the national media were The Washington Generals and Bledsoe was its Red Klotz.

b) The only member of the Pats with any cred nationally at the time was Parcells and he spent the week making like Darva Conger AFTER she won the contest to marry the "millionaire". The entire week he made it seem as if the entire New England region smelled like month old gorgonzola.

c) Hard to wax nostalgic and feel good about the season when the HC doesn't even travel back with the team.

Given all that, it makes sense that SB 36 was such an incredible explosion of joy for the long-suffering Pats fan. Why?

It cannot be emphasized enough how in both of their only previous SB appearances, the Patriots were the side story. They were the nobodies, the fall guys who were there in the shadow of the media faves of that year.

The '85 Bears? The '96 Packers?

.......and then who do they face in SB 36? The 2001 Rams. The Greatest Show on Turf. Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Tory Holt. The United States of America (outside of one corner) was tuning in that night to worship and be awed at the magnificence of the great St. Louis Team dynasty that was to achieve fruition that night (thanks, Ricky! ;) ).

......and then, something happened. The underdog team refused to be introduced individually........and people perked up. They stayed close for the first quarter.........and then Ty Law stepped in front of a lazy Warner pass (Thanks, Vrabes!) and took it to the house. Somehow a jolt of electricity went through the air at that moment. It was Buster Douglas in the 10th round against Tyson.

As long as I live I will NEVER forget the feeling that night.

The year the HC refused to board the team jet home.....sorry, that one still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That team was so fun to watch. Very explosive. The defense was great at getting pressure. Solid, if not spectacular, players at every position except, perhaps cb opposite Law (Ricky Reynolds!?).

Drew's weapons were unbelievable. The perfect team for him. Glenn, Jefferson, Brown, Martin, Megget, Byars, Coates, Gash. The team had it all offensively. Defensively they were steady, caused to's, and stopped the run.

No one watching that Super Bowl thought that the Pats had peaked at that point. That was the high point, though, for that group. The worst part about that team was how it all came undone so quickly. The departure of Martin after the following year hurt. Jefferson got old quickly after 97 and left after 98 (99?). Brown was not yet what he would become. Glenn was injurred a lot. The beating Coates took began to catch up to him. Gash left for Baltimore. Byars, Armstrong, and Megget retired.

The injury to Drew in 98 led to an earlier than expected playoff exit and it was all down hill from there. 8-8, Petie getting canned and Bill's (then) disapointing first season in New England all but closed the door on that era for the Patriots. It was after that when Bill was able to retool the team with "Belichick" type players and a few years later, the Pats have 3 rings and a chance for a 4th.

Let's not forget, though, that they were 1 point, and a drew fumble on a sack by Vrable, from hosting the AFC championship game again in January 98. One game at Foxboro vs Elway, who knows what would have happened. (Ok, so maybe we DO know what would have happened but still...)

You may have missed it but I had a poll asking the same question: Whether the lack of interest was due to ignorance or apathy.

The answers: 50% said "I don't know" and 50% said "I don't care"

Hilarious!

I honestly feel the answer lies in the fact that Patriots fans couldn't really even enjoy the game for itself.

Will McDonough had hijacked the entire day for so many of us. L'affaire Parcells became the entire story.

Have you ever seen 53 men treated like a potted plant at Super Bowl Week?

You had:

a) The Green Bay Packer/Brett Favre/Reggie White Media Mania - -let's face it, they were America's team that year. The Patriots, in the national media were The Washington Generals and Bledsoe was its Red Klotz.

b) The only member of the Pats with any cred nationally at the time was Parcells and he spent the week making like Darva Conger AFTER she won the contest to marry the "millionaire". The entire week he made it seem as if the entire New England region smelled like month old gorgonzola.

c) Hard to wax nostalgic and feel good about the season when the HC doesn't even travel back with the team.

Given all that, it makes sense that SB 36 was such an incredible explosion of joy for the long-suffering Pats fan. Why?

It cannot be emphasized enough how in both of their only previous SB appearances, the Patriots were the side story. They were the nobodies, the fall guys who were there in the shadow of the media faves of that year.

The '85 Bears? The '96 Packers?

.......and then who do they face in SB 36? The 2001 Rams. The Greatest Show on Turf. Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Tory Holt. The United States of America (outside of one corner) was tuning in that night to worship and be awed at the magnificence of the great St. Louis Team dynasty that was to achieve fruition that night (thanks, Ricky! ;) ).

......and then, something happened. The underdog team refused to be introduced individually........and people perked up. They stayed close for the first quarter.........and then Ty Law stepped in front of a lazy Warner pass (Thanks, Vrabes!) and took it to the house. Somehow a jolt of electricity went through the air at that moment. It was Buster Douglas in the 10th round against Tyson.

As long as I live I will NEVER forget the feeling that night.

The year the HC refused to board the team jet home.....sorry, that one still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Shmessy--thanks--that post does a good job summarizing how I felt about '96.

I like to think about '85 far more than '96.

Last edited:
For those of us too young to have really appreciated 86 (i was 7 years old), 1996 was magical. It was the first team that made it to a championship that we really remember. For those younger than us, their first experience was 01 and how do you beat that? For a certain segment of the Pats' fandom, 1996 was a great year.

One magical night for that 1996 team was an ESPN Sunday Night game in San Diego. They were absolutely brilliant, winning 45-7. The offense was amazing, Bledsoe was in the zone, and the defense was dominant. I'll never forget the beating they gave Stan Humphries. I remember Mike Patrick saying, as the Patriots went to 9-4 with the win, "If the Patriots defense can keep playing like this, they've got a chance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes