Welcome to PatsFans.com

HIV-positive man ‘cured’ by stem cell transplant

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is awesome news... stem cells are amazing. Hopefully the embryo-harvesting gets cleanly separated from stem cell research
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

So in dealing with his Leukemia they accidentally, or perhaps just unintentionally, cured his AIDS infection?

If only we could use stem cells to grow Jason Varitek a new pair of knees. The Sox would be a shoe in for the series.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 7 / -13

Great news apparently there are a set of people who can be donors for the correct stem cells.

Once again a viable stem cell treatment that doesn't involve embroyonic stem cells and used adult stem cells. Why keep destroying embryo's and pouring money down that rat hole instead of funding treatmentments like this?
  6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The tastiest stem cells are fresh fetus stem cells.
  7. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow... a thread everyone can agree on. Yet some conservative STILL gave it 1-star, i guess on general (lack of) principle, as always.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

I don't mean to piss on everyone parade here, but there were some extreme circumstances that led to this guy being "cured". The person who was the match for his adult stem cells, apparently was one of the 1% of caucasion males who are somehow immune to HIV. Also, it is very difficult to find a match in and of itself for cases like this, and even more remote, to almost near impossible, for that match to be one of those 1% who carry this immunity gene. Obviously this will be studied extensively, but the circumstances were extreme in the positive. BTW, the percentage for black males who carry the immunity gene is 0%. :(
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I hope you're not suggesting that news outlets sensationalize certain stories to grab ratings... that would turn my world upside-down. :)
  10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's the first time in the history of man that an AIDS patient has been cured. Of course the first time is always difficult, but it should significantly inform and influence subsequent AIDS research.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

The Good.

The Bad.

The Ugly.

I did a paper on HIV way back when I was in college. I'm sure since then the field of study has found all kinds of new information about the deadly virus, but back when I did my research, those studying HIV always spoke of how difficult a treatment, or cure would be to find, due to the mutating ability it has. Hopefully they one day find a cure, but from what I learned, the larger hope lay in finding a vaccine. That may have changed over the years though.