PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

History question: who came up with the team intro idea in 2001?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Everybody knows the story that the underdog "no-name" Patriots chose to be introduced as a team in SB 36.

I often hear a bogus story about how it was an accident, or that it had been thought up at the last minute. Patriots fans who followed the team know that they did the same team entrance all year, or at least since early in that season.

The New York Times article on the game quotes Bill Belichick and confirms this: ''That's the way the players want to do it,'' Coach Bill Belichick said. ''We've been doing it since October.''
Sports of The Times; For New England, Team's the Thing - New York Times

A Patriots forum SB 36 recap also confirms this: "I knew then that the Patriots were going to be introduced as a team. This is only a story to those who have not followed the Patriots at all this season. The Patriots have forgone the individual introductions since week 3 against the Colts. The Super Bowl introduction was not an attempt by the Patriots to make a statement to outside observers. Those who knew and followed this team were not at all surprised." GoPats.com - Patriots Unofficial - Clint's Corner Archive

The thing is, I have never read what players or coaches came up with the idea. It was really inspiring and gives me chills in watching the tape. It to this day personifies the "all for one" team mentality. Never before as the pregame introduction seemed like a "must-see" with regards to a tape of a fooball game.

Does anybody know the scoop on how it got started, supposedly in the early season game vs. the Colts?

Everybody knows the story that the underdog "no-name" Patriots chose to be introduced as a team in SB 36.

I often hear a bogus story about how it was an accident, or that it had been thought up at the last minute. Patriots fans who followed the team know that they did the same team entrance all year, or at least since early in that season.

The New York Times article on the game quotes Bill Belichick and confirms this: ''That's the way the players want to do it,'' Coach Bill Belichick said. ''We've been doing it since October.''
Sports of The Times; For New England, Team's the Thing - New York Times

A Patriots forum SB 36 recap also confirms this: "I knew then that the Patriots were going to be introduced as a team. This is only a story to those who have not followed the Patriots at all this season. The Patriots have forgone the individual introductions since week 3 against the Colts. The Super Bowl introduction was not an attempt by the Patriots to make a statement to outside observers. Those who knew and followed this team were not at all surprised." GoPats.com - Patriots Unofficial - Clint's Corner Archive

The thing is, I have never read what players or coaches came up with the idea. It was really inspiring and gives me chills in watching the tape. It to this day personifies the "all for one" team mentality. Never before as the pregame introduction seemed like a "must-see" with regards to a tape of a fooball game.

Does anybody know the scoop on how it got started, supposedly in the early season game vs. the Colts?

Someone help me here, but it was in "Education of a Coach" and my understanding was it was the Players.

Palm Beach Pats Fan said:

Thats the way I have heard it.

I believe it was the Bengals (maybe it was the Colts game) game in 01 and there was some scrambling around as they missed the some of the individual announcings and than they just all ran out together and since they liked the way it looked they kept it up all year.

So it initially was an accident but than they did it all season and actually had to fight a little to be able to do it in the SB. And by fight I mean they said you can announce it how you want but we will be coming out together.

It turned out the announcer anounced "Chosing to be introduced as a team" and the rest was history.

I was lucky to be at that SB and me and my father were wondering in the hours leading up whether they would come out as a team or not and when they did we went nuts.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was before one of the first games that season. The announcer started calling out the introductions while the Pats players were in the tunnel and the players weren't ready, so they all ran out at the same time.

You ask whose idea it was to enter as a team......it was me...yeah that's right , me. I also advised Bob Kraft to drink his gimlets only from Starbucks cups. I told Brady to only impregnate actresses but marry supermodels. I told BB that wearing a cutoff hoody made him cool and he would end up with the MILF of MILFs. I told Pioli to take Cassel with him to KC and open a BBQ joint together.

I think Lawyer Milloy took credit for the idea. Was it in the 1st dvd?

I think Lawyer Milloy took credit for the idea. Was it in the 1st dvd?

Close, I believe that you are right that it is on the DVD, but I don't think it was Lawyer Milloy.

I believe the answer is BOBBY HAMILTON.

Right before the Dolphins game in Miami (Brady's second start), I believe it was Bobby Hamilton who was louldy and repeatedly suggesting "let's go out together" to the rest of the team.

edit: I believe that Bobby Hamilton was suggesting this because the PA announcer had screwed up, as someone had stipulated earlier this thread.

Last edited:
Yes Lawyer Milloy told the story about it in SB 36 America's Game though I wish they also showed video and audio of it. While I love the idea that the Pats were the first to do it in the SB, I hate that every other team now does it. I actually enjoyed the player introductions; kind of builds up the hype of the game.

You ask whose idea it was to enter as a team......it was me...yeah that's right , me. I also advised Bob Kraft to drink his gimlets only from Starbucks cups. I told Brady to only impregnate actresses but marry supermodels. I told BB that wearing a cutoff hoody made him cool and he would end up with the MILF of MILFs. I told Pioli to take Cassel with him to KC and open a BBQ joint together.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Memo to self: +rep if/when possible.

Yes Lawyer Milloy told the story about it in SB 36 America's Game though I wish they also showed video and audio of it. While I love the idea that the Pats were the first to do it in the SB, I hate that every other team now does it. I actually enjoyed the player introductions; kind of builds up the hype of the game.

Actually, the NFL apparently liked it so much that they imposed it on other teams.

actually I think it was that "team player" Drew Bledsoe who came up with the idea. He was so tired of the "its all about me" mentality in sports. He thought that it was time to stop having it be about any one individual. It is a team. It doesnt matter who gets the credit, who plays, who doesnt. Everybody in it together. So he went up to Bill Belichick and said, look coach, we are all a part of this together, whether its Tom playing or me playing, so I say, lets go out as one team and show the world how one team can beat anybody!!!!!!!!!!!

Close, I believe that you are right that it is on the DVD, but I don't think it was Lawyer Milloy.

Right before the Dolphins game in Miami (Brady's second start), I believe it was Bobby Hamilton who was louldy and repeatedly suggesting "let's go out together" to the rest of the team.

edit: I believe that Bobby Hamilton was suggesting this because the PA announcer had screwed up, as someone had stipulated earlier this thread.

He said that in 2003.

IIRC, it started early in the season, but had one hiccup: The game vs. New Orleans. For whatever reason, they went back to the player intros for that game, then resumed the team intro the rest of the way.

Regards,
Chris

Funny, I had the same experience, I took one of my sons and we both wondered before the game if the NFL would allow them to enter this way - it had never been done before at a Superbowl.

Was really moving when they came out the way they had during that awesome, totally unexpected win streak.

Thats the way I have heard it.

I believe it was the Bengals (maybe it was the Colts game) game in 01 and there was some scrambling around as they missed the some of the individual announcings and than they just all ran out together and since they liked the way it looked they kept it up all year.

So it initially was an accident but than they did it all season and actually had to fight a little to be able to do it in the SB. And by fight I mean they said you can announce it how you want but we will be coming out together.

It turned out the announcer anounced "Chosing to be introduced as a team" and the rest was history.

I was lucky to be at that SB and me and my father were wondering in the hours leading up whether they would come out as a team or not and when they did we went nuts.

I am always curious about that, since some teams, like the Ravens have very showy player intros, with Ray Lewis doing his stupid dance......

If the Ravens has made this years superbowl, would Lewis forego the spotlight for the "team"?

My recollection of the event was that it was indeed the Miami game and that it was Brian Cox that suggested/started it . . .

Its still one of my favorite sporting moments hearing Pat Summerall voice state "now chosing to be introduced as a team" and then to watch the team come out is just amazing . . .

Whoever did it started an amazing trend. Not only do we do it but now every super bowl team does it that way.

Does anyone remember how the Raiders and Bucs did their intros in the 2002 SB? The first other team I noticed coming out as a team was the Panthers when we played them, but I don't remember 2002. And obviously in 2001 the Rams came out individually right before us.

I am not certain but I believe the Raiders and Bucs did individual intros and that the Panthers were the first to copy the Pats.

I am not certain but I believe the Raiders and Bucs did individual intros and that the Panthers were the first to copy the Pats.

Copy Cats........get it panthers...cats......OK flame on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back