Welcome to PatsFans.com

History Of Gov't-Run Health Care Is A Study In Skyrocketing Costs

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jul 29, 2009.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

link:

IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- History Of Gov't-Run Health Care Is A Study In Skyrocketing Costs

Check the whole article, remember these figures when you hear that Obamacare will cost only $1.2T.......

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

because Medicare largely worked...

yeah, your heroes said the same fear-mongering crap about Medicare for decades:

Ronald Reagan: “If you don’t (stop Medicare) and I don’t do it, one of these days you and I are going to spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it once was like in America when men were free.”

George H.W. Bush: Described Medicare in 1964 as “socialized medicine.”

Barry Goldwater: “Having given our pensioners their medical care in kind, why not food baskets, why not public housing accommodations, why not vacation resorts, why not a ration of cigarettes for those who smoke and of beer for those who drink.” (1964).

Bob Dole, on 1996 campaign, openly bragging that he was one of 12 House members who voted against creating Medicare in 1965. “I was there, fighting the fight, voting against Medicare . . . because we knew it wouldn’t work in 1965.”

Ooops...

Do con men ever get tired of being dead wrong about the prognostication of just about everything?

While Medicare is not without its problems, it has dramatically improved access to health care, allowed seniors to live longer and healthier lives, helped greatly reduce poverty amongst the elderly, contributed to the desegregation of southern hospitals, and has become one of the most popular government programs.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  4. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Umm, because Obama and Thinkprogress say so? :confused:

Before we start a new expansive bureaucracy, we need to overhaul those 2 programs especially medicaid.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

"Medicare and Medicaid are the single biggest drivers of the federal deficit and the federal debt by a huge margin."

- Barack Obama

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Medicare cost were 10 times larger than the projection after 25 years, that is a fact, what would make up think this nationalized health care will be any different?

If you consider a budget overrun of 10x a success than you are even more clueless than I thought.

7. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Nationalized health care will likely be worse. A similar program, TennCare, was run here in Tennessee. It was a disaster.

Does the first sentence above sound familiar?

8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

If tort reform were instituted medical costs could be slashed by 50 to 65% across the board instantly.

The average doctor must spend between $200,000 to $900,000 annually for liability insurance against malpractice suits (depends on what city their practice is located). Who pays that insurance premium??? You and me. Everyone does. And the lawyers laugh all the way to Fire Island and Martha's Vineyard (and send their ill-gotten fortunes into their off-shore bank accounts; tax-free, don't you know).

Enact tort reform and the cost of health care comes back to earth, the way it was 50 years ago.

//

9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Sorry but that's pure BS and I say that as a health care provider. In certain high risk specialties, (neurosurgery, OB-GYN) they pay those premiums but not the average practitioner..Link please......
    Tort reform will give some savings but 50-60%....not in your wildest dreams. I'm opposed to this boondoggle of a program but please tell me that you're being sarcastic. The driving force in health care costs was the shift away from individuals to the insurance companies. When it was somebody else's dime, costs became irrelevant. "Do the test, don't worry" became the mantra. Now it's do the test just in case we miss something. Will tort reform help, absolutely but there are bigger problems in the system. As I have written before there are 3 parts immediate access, high tech and universal coverage. Pick 2 out of the three, you can't have them all without the systme collapsing.
    Stop the insurance companies from cherry picking ( no preexisting conditions exclusion) and allow cross state coverages and you'll see real competition which will lower premiums or at least slow increases.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Good Post, I would add that there should be more access for ins programs that allow for catastrophic care, when you get car ins it covers serious collisions not oil changes health ins should do the same.

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I love the throw the baby out with the bathwater hysteria. Simply control costs. Solving difficult problems is not an all or nothing proposition. Also, of course, we've already established that westernized nations with nationalized health care spend less than we do. It's not a problem inherent in the idea, it is a problem inherent with bad implementations.

Also, see this for a real understanding of the high costs involved with Medicaid (hint: bad doctors):

McAllen, Texas and the high cost of health care : The New Yorker

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

I love that cost overruns of 10x for gov health programs is described as hysteria. IMO thinking the gov can run healthcare is a childish fantasy. BAsed of our history of government meddling in healthcare.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It is hysterical when you don't use a pragmatic approach to investigating ways to lower costs within the program first.

Several governments are doing it with many happy customers, in spite of what you believe.

So get private industry and the millions of corporate lobbying dollars out of government. Then you'll see real improvement.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Good let the administration & congress fix the current screwed up programs and lower the cost and then they will have some credibility, currently they are blowing smoke

Not that I am aware of...proof?

As long as the government is spending trillions of dollars people will lobby for their slice, grow up. My solution stop spending trillions, go to a flat tax and eliminate the lobbying, nothing to bribe officals for...;)

15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Some who are questioning the healthcare bill say it is not factoring in better health into the cost. If ... a big if of course ... the healthcare change improves health, improves longevity even furthur, all that stuff. Then we'll have more seniors which will increase the cost of healthcare and not decrease it.

Some are worried what would happen if the governemnt starts factoring in cost vs longevity. How much is a life worth?

Even if ... let's say Obama becomes a great President ... who will be the next and the next. What if a new President with a favorable Congress changes the rules that affects seniors?

Just asking and I think it would be nice to see this debated in public and among lawmakers a lot more. Hard to trust the governemnt as it is for some of us ... this will make it even harder IMO.

16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

The Reagan revolution threw all predictions off because that revolution created many more people, more two income households, and a greater disparity of wealth than has existed since at least the Hoover years.

Thanks to the legacy of senile old racist Ronald Reagan, the homeless live on the streets and we have record numbers of people living below the poverty line. Had liberal policies not been interrupted by the age of avariciousness, militarism, and bigotry, fewer people people would be dependent on those programs. In addition, Medicaid and Medicare had to find their way in an age of deregulation and unbridled greed.

But, by posting these failures, perhaps the righties are finally taking responsibility for the failures of Reagan, the Republican Congress, Bush I, and Bush II. Only under Clinton did we see the ship start to right; hopefully, Obama's policies will make progress in eliminating the stink of conservatism.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Proof of your silly smear?

I await with baited breath...

18. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The post above appears to be written by someone much more senile than Reagan ever was while in office. No facts, just partisan driven opinion - more hurtful than helpful.

19. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Strudel, do you even know the difference between MediCARE and MediCAID? Because it seems that you don't and the New Yorker was talking about Medicare, which is care for the elderly and not Medicaid which is for the low income and funded partly by the states. Medicaid reimbursements are pathetically low (and often below the cost of even seeing the patient)....

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

that's because lives trump budgets... something that privileged, financially stable conservatives never seem to understand.

10x, huh? wow... then perhaps we can talk about how "over budget" your heroes' "War on Terror" is at the point?

war = good... healing the sick = bad. ... yup, we get it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009