Welcome to PatsFans.com

Historical tidbit re., Christ's birth

Discussion in 'Religion and Lighthearted Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +625 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Jesus actually was born in April according to research by historians/scholars. The reason we celebrate in late December instead is because it coincides with ages-old pagan festivals marking the winter solstice (shortest day of the year, which is Dec. 21).
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I've heard this before and believe it to be true. If Christ existed at all (I'm not atheist but, I guess I am agnostic.). But, I've also heard that he was born in January and yet another time that he was born in March. I guess the only thing they're sure of is that he was supposedly born early in the year and not in December.
  3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +625 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

The Bible suggests as much, in nothing that the shepherds were out watching their herds at night. The reason for this was to ward off predators during the season (spring) when lambs were born.
  4. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Glad to see you are taking an interest in the Bible, tunescribe.
  5. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +625 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

That's nothing new. I wrote a magazine article on this very subject. I'm sure you will agree that our interpretations differ, however, regarding more (ahem) "fundamental" biblical matters.
  6. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

its fine to have different interpretations. It doesnt mean you have to label people with interpretations different than yours as dangerous and with no spiritual connection with God.
  7. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +625 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

You may not be a "danger" individually, but religious fundamentalism has proven fascist tendencies and must be viewed warily. As for the latter, I believe I've made my point which does not need repeating.
  8. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hmm, the lambing thing makes a good point in favor of March/April. I learned August was when Jesus was born.

The move to a winter holiday makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint. I read so many history books and find time after time that Christianity would never have caught on except that a few people exploited it (monarchs converting, clever marketing of holidays to pagans, etc.) in order to gain converts and thus a) maintain public order & b) gain money/property

What's amazing, and sucky, is that WE are stuck with an anachronistic and redundant way of thinking/living 1000 years later, all because of some king's need for exploiting his subjects. Scary, huh? Scarier that it still goes on (W's 'born again' experience...)
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

NICE ONE HERE:
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2000/dec08.html