PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Historical Perspective: First Round RBs since 1982.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What are Maroney’s chances of becoming a Franchise Running Back?

I believe a franchise RB is one who gains 1,000 yards three or more times. If a player isn’t durable enough he won’t make it to 3, and if he isn’t talented enough the team won’t give him the carries needed to make it to 3.

Since 1982, 21 out of 87 Rbs drafted in the first rd, or 24%, have had 3 or more years of 1,000 yards. The numbers could be higher, but McGahee, Cadillac Williams, Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson et. al., have incomplete careers.

The “lucky†21 are:
Emmit Smith (11)
Barry Sanders (10)
Jerome Bettis (8)
Eric ****erson (7)
Marshall Faulk (7)
Eddie George (7)
L. Tomlinson (5)
Shaun Alexander (5)
Edgerrin James (5)
Fred Taylor (5)
Rodney Hampton (5)
Curt Warner (4)
Ricky Williams (4)
Jamal Lewis (4)
Garrison Hearst (4)
Robert Smith (4)
Warrick Dunn (4)
Marcus Allen (3)
Gerald Riggs (3)
Deuce McCalister (3)
Neal Anderson (3)

Here are all the 1st rd rbs, by year, and in the order they were drafted.

Darrin Nelson (0)
Gerald Riggs (3)
Marcus Allen (3)

Walter Abercrombie(0)
Barry Redden (0)
Butch Woolfolk (0)
Gerald willhite (0)

****erson (7)
Curt Warner (4)

Michael Haddix (0)
James Jones (0)

No RBs selected in 1st Rd

George Adams(0)
Steve Sewell (0)
Lorenzo Hampton (0)

Keith Byars (0)
John Williams (0)
Ronnie Harmon (0)
Reggie Dupard (0)
Neal Anderson (3)

Alonzo Highsmith (0)
Brent Fullwood (0)
DJ Dozier (0)
Paul Palmer (0)
Roger Vick (0)
Rod Bernstine (0)
Terrence Flagler (0)

Gaston Green (1)
John Stephens (1)
Lorenzo White (1)
Brad Muster (0)
Craig Heyward (1)

Barry Sanders (10)
Tim Worley (0)
Sammie Smith (0)
Cleveland Gary (1)

Blair Thomas (0)
Emmitt Smith (11)
Darrell Thompson (0)
Steve Broussard (0)
Rodney Hampton (5)
Dexter Carter (0)

Leonard Russell (1)
Harvey Williams (1)
Jarrod Bunch (0)

Tommy Vardell (0)
Vaughn Dunbar (0)
Tony Smith (0)

Garrison Hearst (4)
Jerome Bettis (8)
Robert Smith (4)

Marshall Faulk (7)
Greg Hill (0)

Kijana Carter (0)
Tyrone Wheatley (1)
Napoleon Kaufman (1)
James Stewart (2)
Rashaan Salaam (1)

Lawrence Philips (0)
Biakabatuka (0)
Eddie George (7)

Warrick Dunn (4)
Antowain Smith (2)

Curtis Enis (0)
Fred Taylor (5)
Robert Edwards (1)
John Avery (0)

E. James (5)
Ricky Williams (4)

Jamal Lewis (4)
Thomas Jones (1)
Ron Dayne (0)
Shaun Alexander (5)
Trung Canidate (0)

LTomlinson (5)
Deuce McCalister (3)

Michael Bennett (1)

William Green (1)
TJ Duckett (0)

McGahee (2 INC)
Larry Johnson (1 INC)

St. Jackson (1 INC)
Chris Perry (0 INC)
Kevin Jones (1 INC)

R. Brown (0 INC)
C. Benson (0 INC)
Cad. Williams (1 INC)

PonyExpress said:
What are Maroney’s chances of becoming a Franchise Running Back?

I believe a franchise RB is one who gains 1,000 yards three or more times. If a player isn’t durable enough he won’t make it to 3, and if he isn’t talented enough the team won’t give him the carries needed to make it to 3.

Since 1982, 21 out of 87 Rbs drafted in the first rd, or 24%, have had 3 or more years of 1,000 yards. The numbers could be higher, but McGahee, Cadillac Williams, Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson et. al., have incomplete careers.
You left out Bush, Maroney, Williams and Addai. They also did not gain 1000 yards in three different NFL seasosn. Silly huh? Not any sillier than including Ronnie Brown as one of the 87 guys who didn't make 1000 yards for three years. You should delete all active RBs from the calculation before you say that only 24% percent made 1000 yards three times in his career.

How do second round RBs look? Fifth round? UDFA?

spacecrime said:
Not to mention other positions . . . not that they're all so easily measured.

spacecrime said:
You left out Bush, Maroney, Williams and Addai. They also did not gain 1000 yards in three different NFL seasosn. Silly huh? Not any sillier than including Ronnie Brown as one of the 87 guys who didn't make 1000 yards for three years. You should delete all active RBs from the calculation before you say that only 24% percent made 1000 yards three times in his career.

I mentioned in the opening paragraph that their numbers were incomplete: "The numbers could be higher, but McGahee, Cadillac Williams, Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson et. al., have incomplete careers".
You should read more closely. Secondly, 2nd rd, 5th rd, and UDFA Rbs % of success is much lower than the first rd %. The chances of finding a Franchise Rb outside of the first round are extremely low.

... and since '95 only two big-10 backs drafted in the 1st round have gained 1000 yards- Eddie George & Larry Johnson... Not that I know what that means really...

The point of the excercise is not to discourage everyone about Maroney, but to show that the RB position in the draft is a gamble, a delicate one, and obviously BB is aware of that. For BB to take that risk in the first rd, Maroney must be a very special player. If he avoids injury I have every confidence he will succeed and become the bell-cow franchise RB we haven't had since Curtis.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
I mentioned in the opening paragraph that their numbers were incomplete: "The numbers could be higher, but McGahee, Cadillac Williams, Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson et. al., have incomplete careers".
You should read more closely.
I read closely. You said they were incomplete. I agree. My problem is that you included them in the calculations as an unsuccessful RB. You have 66 RBs drafted in the first round that are unsuccessful by your definition (they did not gain 1000 yards in three separate seasons), and you include Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, etc in the 66.

This gives you a false percentage when talking about the percentage of successful RBs.

I said all this in my first post:

spacecrime said:
You should delete all active RBs from the calculation before you say that only 24% percent made 1000 yards three times in his career.

You should read more closely :D

spacecrime said:
I read closely. You said they were incomplete. I agree. My problem is that you included them in the calculations as an unsuccessful RB. You have 66 RBs drafted in the first round that are unsuccessful by your definition (they did not gain 1000 yards in three separate seasons), and you include Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, etc in the 66.

This gives you a false percentage when talking about the percentage of successful RBs.

I said all this in my first post:

You should read more closely :D

I see no reason to count these running backs as franchise runners until they have proved it. I feel it is far more logical to assume they won't be franchise runners until they prove it on the field. If you feel the need to remove them, then do so and calculate your own numbers.

How many RB's on your list were drafted as Juniors?

I look at it slightly different. The thing is, football now ain't the same it was 20 years ago. What I see is a marked improvement in how things did drafting running backs between 1997 and 2001, to the tune of 42%. The guys from 2002 onward haven't had much of a chance yet, but if you look at what LJ, McGahee, S. Jackson, R. Brown, and Cadillac are doing, you can tell why people here are so excited about Maroney.

Gon_Trevil said:
I look at it slightly different. The thing is, football now ain't the same it was 20 years ago. What I see is a marked improvement in how things did drafting running backs between 1997 and 2001, to the tune of 42%. The guys from 2002 onward haven't had much of a chance yet, but if you look at what LJ, McGahee, S. Jackson, R. Brown, and Cadillac are doing, you can tell why people here are so excited about Maroney.

Great point. Somehow, by improved medicine, training, scouting, rb evaulations have gotten much better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye