Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hiroshima Some Photos Hidden For Years

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Aug 7, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Rhode Island still recognizes Victory Day. We have Memorial Day and Veterans day ... This holiday is really no holiday at all ... it's time for it to go. Not sure how to word this really ... it's just that the holiday doesn't seem right ... it never did and all but RI have figured this out a while ago.

The photos:

Fogonazos: Hiroshima, the pictures they didn't want us to see[​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The Japanese drew first blood, an invasion would of cost arguably as many lives. Truman was right, he saved many Americans some of whom were my relatives.
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I was more thinking along the idea why this is still a holiday. As I was reading and thinking I came upon a blog opinion and the pictures. After having read the abuse photo thread. Seems history has a way of being buried by our government regardless of who is in power. In any case my opinion is we don't need this as a holiday and we need to stop hiding history. Not sure I made the thread right but this was my thought process. Whatever direction this thread takes well so be it. I think it needs to be discussed from all directions.
  4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Civilians you warmonger.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

The war in the Pacific was fought to a great extent by the Navy, the Navy back in the day had a large presence in RI and nearby CT.

I still wait for the Japanese to release the photos of the rape of Nanking, where far more people died. Or even camp 731....
  6. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 5 / -3

We provoked them into attacking us. But no no the Japanese attacked us because they were the bad guys. :rolleyes:

The bombings were egregious no matter which way you try to paint it. The Japanese were on the brink of surrender and in all likelihood an invasion wouldn't have even been necessary. It was mass murder and terrorism at its finest and somehow we are considered the good guys in that war.

Reading some of the accounts of survivors are so upsetting. Yes the Allies sure had no trouble killing thousands upon thousands of civilians without conscience. Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Dresden...I don't buy the 'quick end to the war' excuse.
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

8. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,781 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Go study your history a little more. The Japanese were fanatics. Surrender was considered dishonor in their culture. Furthermore, where is all of this "proof" that the Japanese were close to surrender?
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,781 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

No, actually the Imperial Japanese were the warmongers.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

My father was on a sub off the coast of Japan, my uncle on an aircraft carrier, that was attacked by Kamikazes. I am glad they dropped the bombs.
  11. Gunnails

Gunnails Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

========================================================

Where is the smilely, your joking right?

LOL:singing:
    And the Holocaust never happened.:rolleyes:
  12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,781 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

It's actually pretty entertaining watching people constantly try to convince themselves that the Japanese were the good guys in this conflict.
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What history books are you referring to, the crazy extreme right/fascist Fox News-like history books? You probably also believe in the current propaganda that all Muslims are barbaric savages, hate us for our freedom, and will stop at nothing until they control the entire world.

You. are. a. sheep.
  14. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

"The Japanese had, in fact, already sued for peace. The atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military point of view, in the defeat of Japan."
    -- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

"The use of [the atomic bombs] at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender."
    -- Admiral William D. Leahy, Chief of Staff to President Truman.

Just as Iraq was for OIL and petrodollars, the nuking of Japan was to scare Stalin/Russia and assert global authority for the post-WWII world.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  15. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 5 / -3

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said the Japanese government and military's actions were justified. They did terrible things. So did we, and we shouldn't skirt around the truth.

patsfan13, so you are glad that in payback for whatever the Japanese military did in war time, we murdered thousands upon thousands of innocent civilians? I pity that it makes you feel good to know that city's full of innocent people were completely destroyed.

Thank you Maverick. I think it is you KontradictioN who needs to look beyond what they told you in school. About how the Japanese would never surrender and that our only options were to bomb or invade. Take off the Patriotic blinders and quit trying to justify mass murder with lies.

The war was lost for the Japanese and it was only a matter of time before they surrendered w/o invasion or the a-bombs. Truman wanted to show the USSR what we were capable of with the atom bombs.
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Have never felt comfortable with our actions at this time... on one hand it did end WW II quickly.. but at this cost?? Not sure that the christian ethos that this country was founded on and situationally revered, can justify any of this.
  17. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

For a time I thought the USA should have dropped one close to, but not on Japan, as a warning. Then it occurred to me that there was a three day gap between Hiroshima and Nagasaki. What were the Japanese thinking then? My money is on them hoping that we didn't have another one and that they'd be able to press on. It would have been a few months btw, before a third could have been dropped.

IMO, revenge for atrocities like Bataan, threatening the Russians, and keeping more Japanese alive btw, were not factors in Truman's decision. He was a straight forward, direct kind of man who served himself in WW1. He didn't want our guys to have to go through another huge amphibious assault when there was another way.
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +260 / 10 / -11

Perhaps the worst act of terrorism ever, our use of nuclear bombs unleashed nuclear weapons as legitimate tools of war, and this legacy haunts us now as we struggle to reign in Iran and North Korea. Truman showed the US is capable of the same level of depravity as some of the worst leaders ever. Murdering tens of thousands of innocent women, children, and the elderly cannot be justified. Even Eisenhower said it was not necessary to drop the bombs.
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

The Blame For Hiroshima Lies With Pearl Harbor

Japan Looked For A Fight And Japan Found A Fight

There Is A Reason That Most Of Today’s Blame America Liberals Splutter And Blubber Whenever Hiroshima Is mentioned And That Reason Is “WE WON”

MOST LIBERALS ARE VERY UPSET AT THE FACT THAT AMERICA WAS ON THE WINNING SIDE OF WWII

Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition
    Praise The Lord We Ain’t A Going Fishing
    Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammuntion
    And We’ll All Stay Free.

KA F-CKING BOOM
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I used to believe that the Bomb was the correct course of action because that's what my grandfather and teachers told me when I was a kid. When I grew up and learned how to read and do research, I learned some things from some rather significant and patriotic people about the decision to drop the bomb that changed my mind.

Maybe some of the sheep commenting on this thread might want to do the same. The truth shall set you free. Dropping the bomb was wrong, regardless how good and powerful it made us feel after experiencing the hell of WWII.

DWIGHT EISENHOWER:

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."
    - Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

In a Newsweek interview, Eisenhower again recalled the meeting with Stimson:
    "...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."
    - Ike on Ike, Newsweek, 11/11/63

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY:

(Chief of Staff to Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman)
    "It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."
    - William Leahy, I Was There, pg. 441.

RALPH BARD

(Under Sec. of the Navy)
    ... "I think that the Japanese were ready for peace, and they already had approached the Russians and, I think, the Swiss. And that suggestion of [giving] a warning [of the atomic bomb] was a face-saving proposition for them, and one that they could have readily accepted." He continued, "In my opinion, the Japanese war was really won before we ever used the atom bomb. Thus, it wouldn't have been necessary for us to disclose our nuclear position and stimulate the Russians to develop the same thing much more rapidly than they would have if we had not dropped the bomb."
    -War Was Really Won Before We Used A-Bomb, U.S. News and World Report, 8/15/60, pg. 73-75.

Hiroshima: Quotes