PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hines Ward PI should have been double flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBigglesWorth

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
So the Jags nearly got shafted for the PI call on 4th down. I've seen many people complain Pass Interference is ruining the game. Well it nearly ruined the game for the Jags and we've been victims of this.

From what I saw the cornerback committed a penalty, but Hines got away with holding, facemask, and offensive PI.

A new novelty would be to throw two flags and penalize the offense and defense and replay the down. Now I know we don't want this to get out of control and have every play "replayed", but in such a critical situation I think it's only fair or just don't throw the flag.

Teams need to stop getting free gifts with a 1st down on the 1 and teams need to stop getting shafted where one play could knock them out of the playoffs.

Re: Hines Ward PI should have been double flag.

The refs can't call what they didn't see. It's bad enough when they call what they thought they saw. It took replay to see the facemask in the midst of a blatant DPI. Maybe payback was the phantom holding on the center that Madden couldn't see even on replay that cost the Steelers 2 critical points on the conversion.

Personally I think the only reason he was committing DPI is because he was being held by his facemask and couldn't see what he was doing.

Personally I think the only reason he was committing DPI is because he was being held by his facemask and couldn't see what he was doing.

That's how it looked to me.... someone's grabbing my facemask and has the ability to whip me around and break my neck, I'm damn well holding onto them to stop them from doing that.

The refs got a break in that the Steelers lost - I still expect the NFL office to issue a statement making clear the refs blew that one.

But as others said, the refs see what they see and call it - I don't think penalties are reviewable. Maybe they should be. It was pretty apparent in a quick replay to all of us - I'd have to think a professional ref could make the right call quickly from the booth.

It'd probably be good policy to fine players who get away with facemask holds, whether purposeful or inadvertant. At the very least it'd hit them in the pocketbook after the game.

You see guys jawing and pointing fingers in argument all the time. Wilfork got too close - though didn't touch - and gets hit with a big fine. Someone potentially breaks a guy's neck with actual contact? Seems to me that's worse than pointing fingers like Wilfork.

He grabbed onto ward because he was being pulled to the ground by his facemask. Pretty natural reaction, I'd think. Should have been a penalty on Ward, either way. Prior to that play, I wanted the Steelers to win. Afterwards, I wanted the Jags to, just so that their fans wouldn't have to spend the offseason justifiably pissed over such a ****ty call ending their season.

How do you know the face mask came before the DPI?? I watched that replay very closely, and at least the angles they showed it from, there was no way to tell weather the face mask was the cause or the consequence of the DPI. The way I saw it, Ward was being held and was trying to get his arms free and got his hand in the facemask.

How do you know the face mask came before the DPI?? I watched that replay very closely, and at least the angles they showed it from, there was no way to tell weather the face mask was the cause or the consequence of the DPI. The way I saw it, Ward was being held and was trying to get his arms free and got his hand in the facemask.

so you admit that there were penalties by both players?

Oh, absolutely! No denying that. I don't get too bent out of shape about poor officiating though. Hey....these guys are human afterall, and can't be expected to get it right every time. It's easy for us to scream and yell while sitting on our couches....after watching the replay 10 times of course. Bad calls go both ways in virtually every game, it's part of the game. I don't think they should be able to review penalties though. There has to be a line drawn somewhere, or they might as well check the replay after every snap just to make sure they didn't miss anything.

these are suppose to be the best refs in the world. it seems like some of the refs judgment on PI is suspect. players choke...refs choke.

the thing about these calls is that is gets teams eliminated from the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes