PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hindsight thoughts on our OL from the AFCCG

Status
Not open for further replies.

VrabelJr

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The best way to completely unravel a team's offense is to greatly outmatch a team's OL. We've seen it time and time again. It's the only way to take a QB as good as Brady and make him look like JP Losman. Now that it's been a few days, I figured I'd go back and dig up what I could as well as remember what I saw.

The most interesting thing to me were the snap counts. Despite our OL getting beat off the blocks from snap 1 we stuck with the same OL combination the entire game. Here is a link to Mike Reiss' snap counts from the game: Slipping to No. 4 on depth chart, will Brandon LaFell be back with Patriots?

I think two things were obvious after the first two drives:

1) Denver's outside rushers were better than our OTs
2) Denver felt good enough about its inside DL that it was OK with letting their DEs and OLBs pin their ears back

Denver knew they could contain our run game with just their DTs and MLB despite their DEs/OLBs not honoring the run at all. What a significant advantage that is.

With the above in mind, we made a gigantic mistake by keeping Shaq Mason in the game. He's short with short arms and everyone knows his real value is in the run game. Without a doubt we would have been better off switching to a pass protecting interior of Kline/Andrews/Stork. Andrews is fast and smart and Stork has much better pass protection skills as a Guard than Mason does.

The next big mistake I believe we made was not using Michael Williams enough. Using essentially a 6th lineman like Williams does take one receiver off the field but let's take a look at our receivers:

1. Gronk
2. Edelman
3. White/Bolden
4. Martin/LaFell/Amendola/Chandler

The #4 receiving option is such a huge drop off from #3 that we would have been better off not even having any of them on the field just about ever. We could have kept Williams in as a 6th OL to chip Miller/Ware, help out in the run game a little and maybe even go out for a route or two just to keep Denver honest.

I strongly believe that if we inserted Andrews at C, moved Stork to G, pulled Mason and played Williams more that we could have won that game.

I couldn't disagree more with this post. By all accounts Mason was by far the best O-linemen on the field for Pats. I didn't really see him struggling out there and saw time after time Kline getting his lunch handed to him. The beat guys already did stats and he by far graded out the best of the bunch.

Respectfully disagree. Mason reportedly only gave up one pressure. What happened in Denver was a perfect storm for Denver... we were incredibly UNhealthy at tackle and were down to our 3rd,4th and 5th option at RB (none of which are proven dangerous backs) in a system where the run is hardly ever used.

Edit: none of our backs are proven current day. Once upon a time SJAX was p4p best in the league (or close to it)

Respectfully disagree. Mason reportedly only gave up one pressure. What happened in Denver was a perfect storm for Denver... we were incredibly UNhealthy at tackle and were down to our 3rd,4th and 5th option at RB (none of which are proven dangerous backs) in a system where the run is hardly ever used.

Edit: none of our backs are proven current day. Once upon a time SJAX was p4p best in the league (or close to it)

Do you have a link to more in depth OL stats? I couldn't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back