PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hindsight: Ahmad Brook and Supplemental Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TealSox

Minus the addition of Junior Seau, last year did very little to help the MLB/ILB position. Brooks could had easily been a first day pick in 2007, but was ineligible and went to the NFL in 2006. More talented than Beason? More talented than David Harris? I don't know.

In hindsight....

Would the Pats bid a third round pick to gain the rights to Brooks? I believe he started 5 games and recorded 28 tckls, 1 sack and 2 PDs. Hardly a dominate rookie year. Consider that the Bengal would had been in line to pick a CB like Jonathan Wade (TEN) and the fact the Pats traded their third rounder.

The issues is moot if the rules follow that the team with the better record (reflected in the 2006 draft) gains the advantage if the round is the same.

Brooks' baggage fit in well with the mentality of the Bungles' jailbirds, I seriously doubt he rated a first day pick from the Pats, if they bid for him at all.

Minus the addition of Junior Seau, last year did very little to help the MLB/ILB position. Brooks could had easily been a first day pick in 2007, but was ineligible and went to the NFL in 2006. More talented than Beason? More talented than David Harris? I don't know.

In hindsight....

Would the Pats bid a third round pick to gain the rights to Brooks? I believe he started 5 games and recorded 28 tckls, 1 sack and 2 PDs. Hardly a dominate rookie year. Consider that the Bengal would had been in line to pick a CB like Jonathan Wade (TEN) and the fact the Pats traded their third rounder.

The issues is moot if the rules follow that the team with the better record (reflected in the 2006 draft) gains the advantage if the round is the same.

The Pats must have gotten some the inside scoop from Al Groh but still IMO, college players who are big enough, athetic enough and with experience in the 3-4 are very difficult to find. I would have spent a 3rd rounder on Brooks, adding a young playmaker and potential starter to the mix at ILB changes the complextion of the defense. Brooks was rated as a top 15 pick and ahead of AJ Hawk before he started his downward slide.

But every year I have also been saying they should have draft LBs and CBs to no avail.

The Pats must have gotten some the inside scoop from Al Groh but still IMO, college players who are big enough, athetic enough and with experience in the 3-4 are very difficult to find. I would have spent a 3rd rounder on Brooks, adding a young playmaker and potential starter to the mix at ILB changes the complextion of the defense. Brooks was rated as a top 15 pick and ahead of AJ Hawk before he started his downward slide.

But every year I have also been saying they should have draft LBs and CBs to no avail.

i was hoping they would get him in the supplemental last yr
i was right in line with you, he had experience in groh's 3-4 and i thought it was a perfect fit
i think he coulda played that tj role well
well, lets see what we get with oaklands third rd pick next yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots