Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hillary, What is THIS ?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Jul 28, 2007.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070728/D8QLQ3880.html

"Presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton told college Democrats on Saturday she would create a national academy to train public servants.

"I'm going to be asking a new generation to serve," she said. "I think just like our military academies, we need to give a totally all-paid education to young men and women who will serve their country in a public service position.""

Pee-Yuu.

Now this sounds like a really expensive totally useless idea.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

No not nessasarily. The kids could sign up for lets say two years.The millitary could be use as a model. Kids would be tought basic skills like carpentry,painting,tutoring etc. then go out and help profesionals clean up their local communities.I get what she's getting at,learning at a young age resposability,team work, an understanding of how to accomplish things in their community. At the end they would get their tuition for collage paid like if they served in the millitary. I know I could come up with better examples if I sat aroud and thought about it.

3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

OK Q shred it its weak.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Last I saw we have no problem hiring people to work for the government - heck, I'm one of them; I have a relatively skilled job as a civilian (nothing nutty skilled, but I don't work at the DMV) and we don't need "a national academy to train public servants".

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +486 / 20 / -17

I think we need more info to draw any conclusion, but it could be a good idea if for instance the academy would help people develop specific skills for diplomacy, working in Congress, spying, advocating US policies and programs abroad, monitoring US programs abroad, etc. It could be the type of program that is first developed and defined by the the government before being picked up by private colleges and universities.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

No it's not, it's a bullsh!t big program. Hire people then send them have them get their OTJ training, not some broad "Public Servant Degree" bullsh!t. I've seen something too much like this where I work and I'm not going to describe it or I'd have people throwing up at the wasted money.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +486 / 20 / -17

What if it was a public private effort to promote certain types of programs at private colleges? What if it was a public college with selective admission? What if it was funded by private and public funds? I know you're okay with public education, that's why I'm asking is there a model that you would entertain?

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

That's not what I read from that although I could be mistaken. I read the italicized sentences as "Public Servant University" where you go for free and work for the government afterwards. I see no problem with the current model, again, last I heard the government isn't having a problem hiring.

9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +353 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

Hey I've got this parking ticket.........never mind. :D

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

This sounds like the diarea plan our governor is trying to push forth. Paid time for state employees who "volunteer" instead of showing up for work.

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +710 / 20 / -30

Interestingly enough was with a bunch of guys this weekend and come to find out that this seems to be a fairly common practice amongst large corporations.. I still don't believe it would work, but they claim it does.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Anything that would increase the education level of the population in general deserves an extra look. Back around 92 or 93 it became much easier to secure loans to go to college. Not too long ago much of that was scaled way back. (I've never been more po'd at the Congressional Dems when they held out to protect ANWR while simultaneously caving on college financing) I think ideally we should go back to how things were in the 90's, when it was easier to make it through College, but if not that then perhaps this is a reasonable alternative. Anything that increases the number of college grads pays dividends for decades.

13. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No. But the government does have a problem with employee competence.
    In any case, I would like to know what the "acadamy" is going to teach that the universities don't.

14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +732 / 17 / -19

#24 Jersey

Not in my experience it doesn't.