Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hillary Clinton 51% Adolph Giuliani 45%

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Nov 8, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The former New York mayor continues to defy predictions by conservative Christian leaders and others that his support of abortion rights and gay rights would make him unacceptable to "values voters." Just 7% of those Republicans who call themselves conservative on moral issues say they definitely won't vote for him.​

amazing how the wacko religious right engages in moral relativism when faced with the bottom line of getting their most electable war-monger of choice into the oval office... Guliani can easily be bribed to change gears on abortion and gays later, just as long as the Pat Robertson crowd foots the bill for now and promises those votes...

while Hillary is SURELY the lesser of two evils, i simply can not vote for any candidate who pledges to extend the occupation of Iraq or any further... nevermind that both idiots pledge they'll continue to threaten Iran with tactical strikes...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

It's even closer than that. They're actually in a statistical dead heat according to an NBC/WSJ poll. Like scout and I both feel will be the case, a Rudy vs. Hillary national election would throw all traditional models out the window. Look at Conneticutt and Pennsylvania for example, the polls there are amazingly close. Another statistical dead heat. Those are two states that GW lost. However, in states like Ohio, Arkansas, and some southern states, we could see blue where we're acustomed to seeing red. It would be one interesting election.

Clinton, Giuliani, and the Polls

November 08, 2007 02:09 PM ET |
    Barone, Michael | Permanent Link

John Harwood's story in the Wall Street Journal is headlined "Poll Suggests Clinton Is Vulnerable." The key finding is that although adults want a Democratic president rather than a Republican president by a margin of 50 to 35 percent, they favor Hillary Clinton over Rudy Giuliani by a statistically insignificant 46 to 45 percent. Clinton's lead over Giuliani is down from her previous leads in NBC/Wall Street Journal polls of 49 to 42 percent in September, 47 to 41 percent in July, and 48 to 43 percent in June.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/barone/2007/11/8/clinton-giuliani-and-the-polls.html

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i believe the exactly opposite... sorry NEM... they haven't even BEGUN to get slimey regarding Hillary's campaign... i believe the dirtball Reich is hoping and praying she wins the Dem ticket, because she'll be the easiest fodder from January-November... they have little dirt on Obama, and less on Edwards....

conversely, they have plenty of ammo on Hillary (or so they believe)...

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

as for Gore, sorry, but that ship has sailed... he could have signed his own name for the ticket, and easily would be obliterating Cross Dressing Guliani inthe polls... unfortunately, time has run out...

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

So where's Hillary on the Iraq war? A war she voted for, and supported. Oh wait, I guess that would depend on which way the winds blowing today. :D

As for Iran...

Sen. Clinton Urges U.N. Sanctions Against Iran

By Dan Balz
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, January 20, 2006; Page A06

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) accused the Bush administration of playing down the threat of a nuclear Iran and called for swift action at the United Nations to impose sanctions on the Iranian government.

The senator's statements, in which she said the administration should make it clear that all options remain on the table for dealing with the Iranians, came during a speech about the Middle East on Wednesday night at Princeton University. She criticized the White House for turning the problem over to European nations and said Iran must never be permitted to acquire nuclear weapons.

"I believe we lost critical time in dealing with Iran because the White House chose to downplay the threats and to outsource the negotiations," Clinton said. "I don't believe you face threats like Iran or North Korea by outsourcing it to others and standing on the sidelines."

Clinton's call for sanctions was another example of the hawkish posture on national security issues that has marked her tenure in the Senate and is seen as part of her preparation for a possible 2008 presidential campaign. On Iraq, she has often criticized the administration for not preparing for the chaos and violence after the initial invasion. But she has remained steadfast in resisting calls within her own party to support a rapid withdrawal of troops there, to the dismay of some on the left.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/19/AR2006011903220.html

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When did Barack Obama and John Edwards become Republicans..?

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

oh wait.... ummm, i believe i made that a clear acknowledgement in the final paragraph you quoted of mine above... i won't vote for anyone who's in favor or maintaining troops in Iraq.... which she has vowed....

9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

he has what, 7 weeks to declare? closer to 4 to make an impact? ... sorry, he's given absolutely no indication, as much as i'd love to see it...

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Ah, ok. That's good to see that you're a man of conviction. I've vowed to do the same for anyone who voted for Amnesty for illegals. ;) Good show bud.

11. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Giuliani's favorite cop just got indicted. Charges have not been filed but there are rumors of tax evasion and bribery. Good thing Pat Robertson has his back. I'm not too sure how much the Republicans have on Hillary without having to make stories up. Rudy has a transit station of skeletons in his closet just waiting for the nomination.

12. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

NEM, I hate to disappoint you, but I think Hillary is much less likely to move the US out of Iraq in a cut and run than you want to believe. Her history of votes in the Senate and rhetoric support the idea that she's not going to pull the troops out Jan 2nd of 2009 if she wins. Also I'd disagree that its so honest of her to say she doesn't know what she'd do until she gets into office, that is starting to become her mantra as she knows she's got the nomination wrapped up already and just needs to avoid angering anyone. I'd characterize it as a political answer, not an honest one (not that I fault her for doing so, its a proven strategy). Third, the reason the Republicans are all over her is that she's going to be the nominee barring some kind of disaster for her, and you could argue either that they're afraid of her, or they want to run against her since they know she's so unlikeable.

And PressCoverage, why is it such a bad thing that right wing conservatives are coming out in support of Rudy? Isn't it a good thing for people to vote for someone they believe in rather than a rubber stamp for the pro life candidate?

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ok, well, i'll take your word for it... however, i did witness Hillary defending her position against Iran in the latest TV debate in the face of multiple challenges... seemed rather hawkish...

14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

just seems transparent to me... that their family values are, in essense, negotiable... he's pro gay, he's pro choice... he's also a cross dresser, and a divorce' ...

but, bottom line, he's the best candidate they seem to have... so the religious right will scrap principle for electability... do you honestly feel the fanatical religious right "believes in" a pro gay, pro choice candidate?

15. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

NEM, I agree with your last statement here, but it runs both ways. There are too many right wingers that believe Rush's word is gold, but there are just as many liberals that paint any conservative with the war monger brush. There is a general failure of the voting population to really educate themselves about the issues and the candidates, and both sides are content to throw out soundbites and half truths that they know almost nobody will check up on.

As for Kerry, I mean, come on, that was like candy from a baby. Its fine to change your mind, but he walked right into republican hands saying "I voted for it before I voted against it." Perfect soundbite to sum up his incompetence on the campaign trail. He was hugely entertaining from my perspective watching him bumble through the election, from the "reporting for duty" silliness at the convention, to hearing a millionaire from Boston actually say the words "can I get me a hunting license?" I was hopeful he would run again in '08 for more laughs. It just has to burn Democrats' asses though that even a semi-competent candidate would have run Bush out of the White House easy.

16. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its a good question, I honestly don't know. I do know that its a mistake to choose a nominee based on electability (see John Kerry). I also think that yes, there is a lot of belief in him (whether warranted or not) to lead and to handle the war on terror properly, which is still the #1 issue for a lot of people. That said, I still wouldn't be surprised to see my homeboy Romney or Thompson come out of the pack and take the nomination. Things are going to be really interesting on the Republican side.

17. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think it will be a Giuliani / Hillary election. I just don't see it any other way. Hillary's been preparing for this for years, and I don't think the Republicans have confidence in any other candidate to successfully take on Hillary. As RW and a few others have pointed, it's going to be a kooky election. Both are not afraid of using negative politics against the other and both will test high among independents (though I think Rudy will take that one). Both also have some serious impediments to get over; namely Hillary's image problem among many people and Rudy's sometimes less-than coservative social stances.

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

people should "The Google" Giuliani - Tripod - NORAD together, and read about what they find...

rotten to the core...

19. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

OK I looked it up, I must be missing something. Wargames/disaster training was scheduled for 9/12, so what? New York, and places all around the country drill for attacks/accidents all the time. I'm not seeing anything rotten there at all.

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

how many sites did you look at? because i see something different... FEMA is proven they arrived on Sept. 10... (admittedly the fireman Kenney quote has been debunked, and i'm not using it here)... yes, the 12th may have been part of the scheduled exercise, but the fact that 3 other simulations involving other agencies were indeed going on the 11th, how convenient FEMA was a fourth... with a direct line to NORAD... RG's response team -- Office of Emergency Management -- headquartered itself at Pier 92 in NYC on the day we happened to be attacked... hangin out with FEMA, not in Building 7, where RG's 'bunker' for his OEM was centered...

i shouldn't have said 'rotten to the core' as fact, and i retract that... though i do not trust RG, and a lot of his testimony to the 911 commission ... his timelines are all over the place about when calls were made, and NORAD response time...

the NYFD's utter contempt for him merely tips the scale...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007