Welcome to PatsFans.com

hillary and barack and assassination

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, May 23, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So she says this:
    The BHO camp immediately went nuts (as they did when GWB mentioned "appeasers") and said this"
    "Sen. Clinton's statement before the Argus Leader editorial board was unfortunate and has no place in this campaign," Obama campaign spokesman said in a statement.

What a tangled web...

Then she says this:
    I don't understand why she said it. I don't claim any knowledge of how her mind works. But honest to God, is this what it's going to be like? Every single thing anyone says is going to wind up being about BHO?

2. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

This is the nail in the coffin. It may not mean much to you, and maybe you should turn on your tv and catch the news. It was a dimwitted comment and this was all about Obama. I listened to Obama's manager and no, they did not go nuts. They said it was unfortunate. Many of the analysts insisted that it was due to her long hours on the campaign trail, she's exhausted, etc. Well then, I sure wouldn't want her answering that 2 AM phone call in the Oval Office.
    The problem with the exhausted excuse is that she has used the assassination analogy in the past (without the word assassination).
    I will not vote for her.

3. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Went nuts might've been strong. What I was trying to get across is that it seems no matter what anyone says, BHO and his people turn it into an attack on them, then wag their fingers. We've already seen people leave the McC campaign because they don't want to go after BHO. We've seen BHO launch pre-emptive strikes against any attacks on him.

I just wonder if we're coming to a place in America where we won't be able to say anything at all about BHO.

I'm sorry, but Mrs. Clinton has been campaigning hard for over a year. She's exhausted and stressed beyond belief. I can certainly understand her having Kennedy on the brain, given Teddy's tumor and that she holds RFK's seat.

Tactless? Ill advised? Yes. But malicious? As much as I hate defending a Clinton...I'm more nervous about the way I see BHO getting covered.

4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

So a. paul, what analogy was she trying to draw then?

5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why was she necessarily drawing an analogy? As I said, I could see why the Kennedy's would be on her mind this week, and she doesn't want to get out of the race.

Do you think she's trying to incite an assassination attempt?

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

I think that many times in this campaign she had the idea to subliminaly make suggestions that would help her in the future ... and the idea has been a disaster. She's done this with lesser topics .... she's been her own worst enemy ... what a free fall.

7. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Exactly, she's basically saying, don't vote for him he can't win or runs the risk of being assassinated. Basic scare tactics and it's making her look psychotic. If she had said this back when nobody thought Obama had a chance methinks a. paul and crew would be blasting her for it.

8. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Problem is that I actually feel sorry for her. She's never been the politician Bill was--not even close. She's not smooth, and she's not particularly likeable. I can sort of sympathize with her. So she says something--which may well have been innocent, and it turns into a story. I don't believe she was saying "don't vote for him he runs the risk of being assassinated", but if that's what you really think there's no point in arguing (defending a Clinton is making my head hurt and my eye twitch).

9. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

wow...sounds like she's openly pleading for the assassination of a contender...that's pretty vile right there

10. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I just don't see why you think that. But it's funny that's how it's been spun today.

11. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

She added this statement later in the day:

12. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Too bad she left out the part where she apologizes to Obama.

13. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

She sepcifically reference one success that went into June and one failure. Her husband as a comparison to her and why she shouldn't quit yet and RFK was Obama who anything could happen to. Or is she not familiar with a more recent example. Anyway the Obama people aren't really even making a fuss over it.

14. scout

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Exactly. There was an earlier episode where she talked of JFK being an exceptional speaker and he being assassinated. Oh its just a coincidence.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Look you might be right, I'm not 100% sure, but either way it was a "what was she thinking moment." Even in the best case scenario you are talking about it's still a pretty huge gaffe because she's using A) a tragedy that's pertinent to the Kennedy's right now and B) the "anything can happen" argument which is pretty pathetic. Given Huckabee's recent comments though, the cynic in me thinks she's trying to capitalize somehow on that fear and racial tension.

16. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This from a blog over at Time magazine:
    Apparently she can't really use the "Kennedy on my mind" from March, so that excuse goes out the window. This is what I get for trying to cut the poor woman some slack.

17. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

fact is she's just ******* retarded

what kind of moron brings up the word "assassination" during a race for a nomination between a black guy and a woman...in america?

she's desperate and those were the words of a desperate woman who doesn't know how to quit

if there was any chance the election could have been salvaged for the democrats with a combined ticket, that just ended it

welcome aboard mccain, he's the new president, and the election hasn't even begun

18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 14 / -28

Pretty stupid comment, this has been happening a lot lately with her and Billy..anyways Bobby's son did not think it was a big deal...he continues to support her.

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

retarded meaning "tactlessly stupid", yes... but that's the extent of what happened, not an act of desperation... that would require meticulous thought and planning...

it was just a dumb statement, and you can kinda tell by the look on her face that she knows it was dumb... i wouldn't be surprised to see her capitulate this week or next... she knows it's over.

20. jcdavey

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

i think acting desperately in her case = not thinking about what she's saying

the democrats really screwed up a good chance to become president this year, across the board screw ups