PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower Regression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that Alabama always seems to have a great defense hides the weaknesses of these defensive players. We are seeing it with Hightower, and in NY, CB Dee Miliner looks horrendous after being the top rated DB to come out of the 2013 draft. Miliner looks so awful, his play makes Hightower's play look like Lawrence Taylor's.

Ya and upshaw hasn't done anything this year either. Richardson is looking like a bust too. Dareus on the bills was picked 3rd overall but hasn't looked like a star, yet.

Dont'a has definitely not made the leap this year. He flashed his rookie year with some plays, in which I thought he would carry into this season while transitioning into a solid player. He is sooo slow, and a major liability in coverage.

As a first round pick is he doing anything that an UDFA couldn't do?

Besides leading the team in tackles yesterday and the last time someone stated a thread exactly like this?

So this thread is based on one play, right? Outside of that, he was just fine today. Even then, most LBs aren't covering an RB on a play like that.

So this thread is based on one play, right? Outside of that, he was just fine today.

It's because all DE/LB hybrids should be able to cover like 180 lb cornerbacks.

Besides leading the team in tackles yesterday and the last time someone stated a thread exactly like this?

So this thread is based on one play, right? Outside of that, he was just fine today. Even then, most LBs aren't covering an RB on a play like that.

It's because all DE/LB hybrids should be able to cover like 180 lb cornerbacks.

I just think the kid just doesn't look the part ... He is just lost in space man .. Just in La-La Land .. Disinterested ..

Making A LOT of tackles, doesn't always mean you're a good player. Let's face it, Hightower just has not lived up to his 1st round status. He certainly isn't dominant, and teams offenses don't have to gameplan for him, in fact they are feasting on him. The loss of Mayo and Wilfork has made the middle of our defense Swiss cheese.

I just think the kid just doesn't look the part ... He is just lost in space man .. Just in La-La Land .. Disinterested ..

Yet he leads the team in tackles. Would it help if he growled or something?

Making A LOT of tackles, doesn't always mean you're a good player.

Well, if you're a linebacker it's quite a bit more important than good pensmanship, for instance.

What do you think linebackers should do?

Yet he leads the team in tackles. Would it help if he growled or something?

What does that even mean? Great, he makes tackles 10 yards down the field. Whoopty doooo.. His next big play will be his first.. Stop it, you know exactly what I mean when I say "look the part." .. Look at Chandler, he def look the part.. Even Jones n Vellano look like better pros..

he has 25 more tackles then last year in the same number of game and has started all 14 games that's not Regression, his a 270lb OLB how many guys his size in the NFL playing LB are good in coverage I bet not many,

the pats maybe need to get him off the field a lil more on passing downs but over all his a good player not a super star like most want him to be but a good player

He looks lost in space on the one play a game he gives up like that. Any other play, and he's just fine. This is a classic scenario of fans seeing one or two bad plays a game and then basing their opinion on the other 60 plays on those two. Tannehill had I believe 41 passing plays. Hightower was on the field for most if not all. People are basing their opinion of Hightower on one of those plays. There's a big problem there.

He's not a bad player at all; the problem is his draft status relative to his performance. He is on the short list (along with Watson, Maroney and Meriweather) of the worst first-round picks of the Belichick era.

What does that even mean? Great, he makes tackles 10 yards down the field. Whoopty doooo.. His next big play will be his first.. Stop it, you know exactly what I mean when I say "look the part." .. Look at Chandler, he def look the part.. Even Jones n Vellano look like better pros..

Makes tackles 10 yards down the field. Be serious. He's a fckn linebacker.

I can't believe you're serious about worrying more about how they look then what they do, but maybe you are.

Talent is ALWAYS there in the 1st round - our "winning too much" has nothing to do with not drafting talented players.

The best players on defense always get taken first, if your draft always start in the high 20s, technically you have limited access to the best players. It's either that or we just suck at drafting players on D.

He looks lost in space on the one play a game he gives up like that. Any other play, and he's just fine. This is a classic scenario of fans seeing one or two bad plays a game and then basing their opinion on the other 60 plays on those two. Tannehill had I believe 41 passing plays. Hightower was on the field for most if not all. People are basing their opinion of Hightower on one of those plays. There's a big problem there.

When Geno Smith hands you your lunch your in trouble.. Remember the Jets game where he was so lost in space that he turned around looking at air... Woah

When Geno Smith hands you your lunch your in trouble.. Remember the Jets game where he was so lost in space that he turned around looking at air... Woah
Thank for completely proving my point.

I gave u another example grasshopper..
Yeah, I said that fans were unfairly judging him on one or two negative plays each game. You went on to name two negative plays from one game. You're "announcer scouting" him, judging how good he is based on how many times the announcers point out him doing something wrong. You then assume that since he made two notable bad plays against the Jets, that his other plays were bad too. That's not how it works.

he has 25 more tackles then last year in the same number of game and has started all 14 games that's not Regression, his a 270lb OLB how many guys his size in the NFL playing LB are good in coverage I bet not many,

the pats maybe need to get him off the field a lil more on passing downs but over all his a good player not a super star like most want him to be but a good player

Exactly my point. An argument could be made that the pats are not putting him in the possition to succeed.

He should also do some self scouting over the Offseason and try to lose 10-15lb and work on his coverage.

Exactly my point. An argument could be made that the pats are not putting him in the possition to succeed.

He should also do some self scouting over the Offseason and try to lose 10-15lb and work on his coverage.
If the plan is to play him at Mike with Mayo at Will, Collins at Sam, and Spikes gone, then he'll probably want to stay big. They'd be upgrading the athleticism at both Sam and Mike, but would already be downgrading in run defense at Sam and probably Mike as well. Wouldn't really want to make that worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back