PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hightower and Jones will be starters before the Bye Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only will Hightower start but I could see him as a potential candidate for ROTY...he seems very intense in a non meaningful practice,I could just imagine his tenacity in a REAL game.

We have gone from a very weak LB corps just 4 years ago to what I could see as being one of the best corps in the league very soon.

I agree with DROY.

1st round Linebackers get DROY more often than not... so history says it will be between Hightower and Luke Kuechly.

Chandler Jones will likely be brought along slowly and will be a work in progress,there is some good depth on the team so no sense rushing him...I would be shocked if he were a major factor on defense this year.

He's already taking some reps with the 1st team defense. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be a major factor on defense this year.

He's already taking some reps with the 1st team defense. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be a major factor on defense this year.
Haven't you heard, he's a 3-4 year project.

From the sounds of things, Hightower starts from preseason on (if this kid is getting communication responsibilities now...and he damn near somersaulted gronk...). Jones is the question. I'll assume he will see significant role player time from week one on, if not we should all be prepared to be disappointed...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I think it may all depend on what your personal definition of a "major factor on defense" is. It's good that he's seeing time with the 1st team defense right now, but so is Sterling Moore at times, so I don't know how much that really means. I think they are expecting him to come in right away at contribute in the sub packages, so that would certainly be a 1st team situation.

I think something right out of the gate in subs is a real good possibility and what is expected, but I also think that he will have increased assignments and an increased role as the year progresses.

If he develops throughout the year I will be happy, because that means that he has an adequate knowledge of the complicated system, the specific schemes and personal responsibilities, and is doing his job.

I am somewhat afraid that the expectations for him will be a bit high by some, and that will offset his accomplishments. If he has a better rookie season than say, Cunningham did, then I think that's awesome. If he somehow is an instant playmaker, then we will all leap for joy. I'm not expecting any major leaps and bounds personally, but I would like to see him handling his responsibilities and given more throughout the year. That will be plenty of proof for me that he is heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
Why not. I envision a 4-3 look of
mayo, spikes, hightower and dline of jones, wilfork, fanene, ninko. I also expect fletcher to get alot of snaps as well

Unfortunately I listen to a lot of sportstalk radio, and one thing that strikes me is the attitude of a lot of callers who feel as though to get their "money's worth", that Chandler Jones has to start on day 1. Sometimes the hosts play along, and sometimes they confront the idiots...

Without regard, Jones will assume more of a role as the season progresses, which is appropriate for a developing rookie.. he is an investment.

Hightower comes from a different type of program, so his skills are more refined.. expect more of him early.

Unfortunately I listen to a lot of sportstalk radio, and one thing that strikes me is the attitude of a lot of callers who feel as though to get their "money's worth", that Chandler Jones has to start on day 1. Sometimes the hosts play along, and sometimes they confront the idiots...

Without regard, Jones will assume more of a role as the season progresses, which is appropriate for a developing rookie.. he is an investment.

Hightower comes from a different type of program, so his skills are more refined.. expect more of him early.

I've cut my sports radio listening down to about 5 minutes a day and I'm a happier person because of it. Such garbage.

Hightower seems to be a bit farther along in his football knowledge but if Jones shows a consistent ability to perssure the pocket and hurry a few throws....hes playing a ton.

Last edited:
I don't see Spikes losing his starting spot.... he was a huge presence late last year. He brings a lot of toughness and energy to our defense. Don't forget the year before we drafted Spikes, the defense had a reputation for being "soft".

in the 4-3.....

Hightower - Spikes - Mayo

In 2012, we do not face any real elite passing offenses.

That would be the condition where Spikes could see serious reduction in playing time.

Why not. I envision a 4-3 look of
mayo, spikes, hightower and dline of jones, wilfork, fanene, ninko. I also expect fletcher to get alot of snaps as well

no love for Trevor Scott?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye