PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

High Praise for Spikes and Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
the ravens are the perfect opponent for spikes.....I'd be more worried about the pass-happy offenses

Smaller backs like Ray Rice aren't great matchups against guys like Spikes in my opinion.

Brandon Jacobs is a better matchup.

"NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell calls Patriots ILB Brandon Spikes "arguably the most physical and violent inside linebacker" in the NFL.
The competition wasn't that stiff against the Broncos' afraid-to-throw offense, but the returns of Spikes and SS Patrick Chung have revitalized New England's defense for the playoffs. Spikes recorded six tackles, a sack, and a fumble recovery versus Denver."
Source: Boston Glob via Rotoworld.com

I have been under the belief that the defense has been greatly improved with their returns from injury. I think the defense is going to shock the "experts" who have been knocking it all week. It's interesting to see analysis like this on Spikes. My brother, known as Billdog3484 on Patsfans had mentioned to me a few weeks back that he thought Spikes was the most important player on the defense. I wouldn't go as far as him but maybe he was right and I was wrong.

Ray Rice is going to get one of those quick hit passes and Spikes is going to level him ...

done for the game type of level him. :D:D:D

Last edited:
Smaller backs like Ray Rice aren't great matchups against guys like Spikes in my opinion.

Well If guys like Wilfork and Kyle Love ties up the Blockers Spikes should be able to shoot the Gaps.

Well If guys like Wilfork and Kyle Love ties up the Blockers Spikes should be able to shoot the Gaps.

How can there BE a gap with Wilfy and Love in the DL?

There were 2 players in the 09 draft that I stood up in my chair and cheered when their names were announced that the Pats selected them.. Rob Gronkowski... and Brandon Spikes.

Gronkowski has already validated my enthusiasm on that fateful April day. Soon, Brandon Spikes will be prove why it was worth having my wife yell at me to "get down off the furniture!... Your worse than our son!" :D

Brandon Jacobs looks like he's running at a 5 second 40 clip at present. Jerry Rice calling him out nailed it.

Last edited:
Brandon Jacobs looks like he's running at a 5 second 40 clip at present. Jerry Rice calling him out nailed it.

Yeah, but he's been running better / harder lately, even though he's not fast.

I've always thought our defenses do better against big backs than the fast / shifty guys. Bettis never really worried me, for ex. Not sure if it's the schemes, personnel or both (if I'm right, that is).

I assume if Spikes is going to see considerable playing time it will mean the Pats are playing in a 3-4?

And some around here were writing off Spikes in the beginning of the year.

Too bad he'll never work out in our system 'cause he's too damn slow.

Yea, obviously BB should have passed him over based on his slow 40 at the combine. We all know that THE #1 priority for an ILB is to be able to run down gazelle-type TEs :rolleyes:.
What a surreal place the Draft Forum can be in March and April.

Last edited:
I've always thought our defenses do better against big backs than the fast / shifty guys. Bettis never really worried me, for ex. Not sure if it's the schemes, personnel or both (if I'm right, that is).

Two words: Peyton Hillis.

I just hope somehow they both stop rice and flacco's deep ball long enough so brady can figure out that ravens defense.

I just don't think they can do it.

I've been thinking that if we won the SB by beating Tebow / Flacco / Smith you'd have a bunch of people claiming that we were incredibly lucky and it was a statistical anomaly to win w/ a D that bad. W/e let them be miserable.

Doesnt matter.

1 more SuperBowl victory will cement Brady as the G.O.A.T

There were 2 players in the 09 draft that I stood up in my chair and cheered when their names were announced that the Pats selected them.. Rob Gronkowski... and Brandon Spikes.

Gronkowski has already validated my enthusiasm on that fateful April day. Soon, Brandon Spikes will be prove why it was worth having my wife yell at me to "get down off the furniture!... Your worse than our son!" :D

Hahaha, I was the exact same way.

Those two were great picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back