PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hey Pats fans - how do you think Tony Romo would do in the Pats' system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm a pats fan relocated and working in texas i'm not a romo fan but i think he would be as good as cassel was last year. But i hope this isn't another suggestion that any qb could play in our system.

The way I see it, Belichick places on trait above all others in his QBs: consistently making the right reads. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but there's always a tradeoff, and there are a lot of teams in the league that will sacrifice a bit in that dept. to get a QB who is faster, throws harder, is more accurate, or whatever else. It's easy to say that you value everything, but, on a scouting level, you can't. Every QB has deficiencies, including Brady, who doesn't throw well at all on the move. You can still be a very good QB without reading defenses well- hell, Favre, a first-ballot HOFer, didn't even know what a nickelback was until years into his pro career, and still didn't get why the distinction mattered once he learned it.

I think you saw a lot of that in the Cutler trade this year, too. McDaniels learned from Belichick, and he learned that, whatever else Orton may lack, he's a guy who's going to make the right read. Conversely, whatever Cutler may bring to the table, he's going to make some terrible reads that will lead to costly mistakes and will make it very difficult for you to confidently wage and win a battle for field position. Whatever a big play from a QB can gain you, negative plays hurt you more than big ones help you. And really, what it comes down to is: whatever your physical gifts make you capable of, that only matters if you know what to do with them. If you're not making the right play, then you're not making the right play.

So, re: Romo, I just think he'd be a bad ideological fit for the Patriots. Do I think he'd do well if he played for the Pats? Probably- I can't imagine how anyone with his talent wouldn't do well throwing to Moss and Welker. But it's a moot point, because he's the type of QB that Belichick avoids. Certainly doesn't make him a bad player, and teams have won with QBs like him before; he's just a poor fit.

Last edited:
I think Dallas is just a bad environment for a guy like him.

It's not that he can't play, it's that the guy running the show, getting talent, isn't getting guys suited to Romo's strengths. He needs some more outlet guys, more mobile offensive linemen and so on.

RE: Parcells in Dallas with Bledsoe. I sincerely wonder how much of the drafting Parcells did during his time there. Unless in his Dallas days he forgot how to draft to address the needs of the team. He had Bledsoe yet never drafted elite offensive line talent or just good offensive line talent.

Yet in Miami, he suddenly remembers?

Parcells is usually smart enough to get teams playing to their strengths and yet didn't with Bledsoe in Dallas.

JJ meddling, methinks.

I think Romo would actually do well in the Patriot system. He needs to learn to get rid of the rock earlier tho.

The way I see it, Belichick places on trait above all others in his QBs: consistently making the right reads. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but there's always a tradeoff, and there are a lot of teams in the league that will sacrifice a bit in that dept. to get a QB who is faster, throws harder, is more accurate, or whatever else.

Agreed. That's probably a major factor in why KOC is gone and an undrafted free agent like Hoyer is our back-up.

And that's probably why Romo wouldn't be a good fit in this system. Of course, if we had him as our QB, I could see BB modifying the system to fit the player. But it wouldn't be the same as our current set-up.

Last edited:
The way I see it, Belichick places on trait above all others in his QBs: consistently making the right reads. I know that sounds pretty obvious, but there's always a tradeoff, and there are a lot of teams in the league that will sacrifice a bit in that dept. to get a QB who is faster, throws harder, is more accurate, or whatever else. It's easy to say that you value everything, but, on a scouting level, you can't. Every QB has deficiencies, including Brady, who doesn't throw well at all on the move. You can still be a very good QB without reading defenses well- hell, Favre, a first-ballot HOFer, didn't even know what a nickelback was until years into his pro career, and still didn't get why the distinction mattered once he learned it.

I think you saw a lot of that in the Cutler trade this year, too. McDaniels learned from Belichick, and he learned that, whatever else Orton may lack, he's a guy who's going to make the right read. Conversely, whatever Cutler may bring to the table, he's going to make some terrible reads that will lead to costly mistakes and will make it very difficult for you to confidently wage and win a battle for field position. Whatever a big play from a QB can gain you, negative plays hurt you more than big ones help you. And really, what it comes down to is: whatever your physical gifts make you capable of, that only matters if you know what to do with them. If you're not making the right play, then you're not making the right play.

So, re: Romo, I just think he'd be a bad ideological fit for the Patriots. Do I think he'd do well if he played for the Pats? Probably- I can't imagine how anyone with his talent wouldn't do well throwing to Moss and Welker. But it's a moot point, because he's the type of QB that Belichick avoids. Certainly doesn't make him a bad player, and teams have won with QBs like him before; he's just a poor fit.

I think this is it, in a nutshell.

Work ethic is also important to Belichick at QB. Romo doesn't have much of a reputation for one.

I don't think I will ever forget that Thanksgiving game against the Lions when Romo lead a come from behind victory and the announcer said "The Legend of Tony Romo grows."

Legend. Really? I have never seen a QB or any player get so much hype for doing so little. Perhaps it's by virtue of being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. Either way, it was such a dumb comment I am stuck remembering it for the rest of my life.

Maybe a better question would be:

"Would time in the Pats system be better for Tony Romo?"

I don't know what to make of him. However, the Cowboys do seem to be a horrendous fit for him. I also don't know if Shanahan is a good fit for him with his post Elway career.

Furthermore, their owner is fixated on Hollywood celebrity, soap opera personalities, and stadiums and score boards. I don't see any QB being successful with an organization as disfunctional as the Raiders.

My guess is he might be best with Cowher since he does mirror R'berger.

I get a kick out of guys who think tightness is a skillset deluding themselves into thinking they know anything about football. Some of your early work in your theearchives period was...priceless.

I'm not sure if you got the memo, but the whole "tightness" thing was meant to be a joke and to put some humor on this board. However, guys like yourself, got their panties in a bunch and took it the wrong way. You'd have to live on the west coast to understand.

Sorry pal, as much as you think you know the Pats "system", you don't. They only tell you what they only want you to hear and that's it. There's a hell of a lot more going on than what they tell you. So for people on this board that act like they're on the New England Patriots staff is just comical.

Finally, I've said this before and you never responded but your user name is extremely disturbing. You know Drew Bledsoe almost died from that hit, right? I can't believe this has gone unnoticed on this board.

Yeah, I do think that's kinda in poor taste myself....obviously;)

I get a kick out of guys who think tightness is a skillset deluding themselves into thinking they know anything about football. Some of your early work in your theearchives period was...priceless.

I assume that was a typo, but I do so miss the "Ear Chives" myself.

Anyway, I think Romo stinks. Thanks but no thanks.

I assume that was a typo, but I do so miss the "Ear Chives" myself.

Anyway, I think Romo stinks. Thanks but no thanks.

Based on the rumor of his slacker-esque work ethic in Dallas, he would need to fix that first and foremost before he had any chance of being successful here.

My .02$

I don't think Romo is as bad as the offensive playcalling is which looks almost predictable at times.

The Cowboys coaches suck and I have no idea why ANY team would hire Wade Phillips as thier HC,To take a word from Wade's father's name,Wade is a 'Bum'

If our "system" can make Cassel look like what he lookedl like last year, I'd say our "system" can make Romo a Pro-Bowler.

I'm serious.

He's got enough playmaking abilities and arm strength. He just looks like he doesn't have much direction as far as how to attack a defense right now. Too much free-lancing and that could be due to lack of direction from Garrett.

Honestly I wouldn't want him in our system. I'd take Bledsoe right now over Romo, dead serious.

If our "system" can make Cassel look like what he lookedl like last year, I'd say our "system" can make Romo a Pro-Bowler.

I'm serious.

He's got enough playmaking abilities and arm strength. He just looks like he doesn't have much direction as far as how to attack a defense right now. Too much free-lancing and that could be due to lack of direction from Garrett.

Cassel was a hard worker.

I think Romo is a pro bowl Quarterback but is on a less than good team and receivers that struggle which makes him look very bad.

Phillips has what should be a 11-5 or 12-4 team looking like also-rans,Dallas is better than they look.

I think Romo is a pro bowl Quarterback but is on a less than good team and receivers that struggle which makes him look very bad.

Phillips has what should be a 11-5 or 12-4 team looking like also-rans,Dallas is better than they look.

Phillips is a retread who has never won a playoff game.

Jones is an idiot for hiring him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back