PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hey NFL, is this helping with parity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Calhoun

On the Roster
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Do people outside of Patriot Nation realize that with EVERY passing anti-patriot word, article and radio show that they are just feeding the beast which has made mince meat out of the NFL parody? Can anybody else around here FEEL the momentum that this is building within the walls of the Route 1 terror-dome that some call the Razor? I think the hurtin' being put on the league right now will only become more fierce as the season goes on and I'm not sure it doesn't continue beyond this year!

Do people outside of Patriot Nation realize that with EVERY passing anti-patriot word, article and radio show that they are just feeding the beast which has made mince meat out of the NFL parody? Can anybody else around here FEEL the momentum that this is building within the walls of the Route 1 terror-dome that some call the Razor? I think the hurtin' being put on the league right now will only become more fierce as the season goes on and I'm not sure it doesn't continue beyond this year!

IMO, the league is worried. What if, as is the feeling around here (with good reason), we blow out the Colts this weekend? The alleged two-horse race becomes a one-team 2-month coronation. That can't be good for business.

IMO, the league is worried. What if, as is the feeling around here (with good reason), we blow out the Colts this weekend? The alleged two-horse race becomes a one-team 2-month coronation. That can't be good for business.

Doesn't matter at all if the Pats blow out the Colts. Remember the 49ers dynasty and the Dallas Cowboys dynasty? They were blowing out teams every year, nearly as bad as the Pats are doing it now and they had no problems selling tickets and getting people excited even if you knew it would be Montana or Aikaman in the Superbowl.

People want to see great football. It's not our fault that the Patriots are the only one's who can deliver.

Doesn't matter at all if the Pats blow out the Colts. Remember the 49ers dynasty and the Dallas Cowboys dynasty? They were blowing out teams every year, nearly as bad as the Pats are doing it now and they had no problems selling tickets and getting people excited even if you knew it would be Montana or Aikaman in the Superbowl.

Those teams used to lose all the time. I think the Cowboys went 10-6 one year they won the SB and 11-5 another. What we have here would be a completely different scenario - fans losing interest because one team is playing on such a different level.

Remember remember
The 9th of september
The Mangini Treason and plot
I think of no reason
The Mangini Treason
Should ever be forgot

V for Vendetta

On the contrary, I think any league loves dominance of historic proportions.

Think about what Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, or Mario Lemieux did for the NHL. Michael Jordan for the NBA. They turned people who never watched hockey or basketball into NHL and NBA fans. Every league is dying to expand their fan base.

honestly, who gives a damn about parity. the nfl created this situation with the post 2003 polian inspired offensive rules interpretation changes. So pittsburgh and indy win 05 and 06 while we're figuring out how best to reload.

hello 07, not only is our offense dominating, but we're protecting the ball better than ever (only 4 lost fumbles and 2 INT's), thats less than a turnover per game. our D has 11 INT's and 7 fumble recoveries (3rd in the league in takeaways).

let's see what happens when the #1 scoring offense meets the #2 scoring defense this weekend. If we roll up over 40 again, look for significant rule changes next year. these could include increase the chuck zone from 5 to 10yards. Altering or deemphasizing the spot foul PI call.

in other words, let the defenses defend.

Parity in the NFL is alive and well.

Of the seven franchises who picked first in the 2007 draft, all seven have given their fans reason to be excited this year. Only three have losing records.

The goal of the salary cap isn't to prevent franchises from having prolonged periods of success, its to make sure that every franchise is competitive, and every fan has reason to hope.

The NFL has to be LOVING the 2007 Patriots.

They have generated a non-stop stream of headlines.

Fans either love or hate them, but its hard to find people who don't care.

Throw in the 2007 Colts as a foil for what may be the greatest team of all time, and its a marketing dream.

The NFL has to be LOVING the 2007 Patriots.

They have generated a non-stop stream of headlines.

Fans either love or hate them, but its hard to find people who don't care.

Throw in the 2007 Colts as a foil for what may be the greatest team of all time, and its a marketing dream.

Exactly. It's no wonder the "Good vs. Evil" storyline is being pumped up. Fantastic way to bring non-football fans into the game. That, plus the Patriots' unprecedented dominance, has got to be a commissioner's wet dream.

Those teams used to lose all the time. I think the Cowboys went 10-6 one year they won the SB and 11-5 another. What we have here would be a completely different scenario - fans losing interest because one team is playing on such a different level.

Man you must have a bad memory. Let me dig up the numbers to refresh you.

San Francisco 1981 World Champions 17-2, Superbowl 26-21
San Francisco 1984 World Champions 18-1, Superbowl 38-16
San Francisco 1988 World Champions 13-6, Superbowl 20-16
San Francisco 1989 World Champions 17-2, Superbowl 55-10
San Francisco 1994 World Champions 16-3, Superbowl 49-26

The only 'down' year out of their 5 world championships was 1988. The other years they sported regular season records of 14-2, 15-1, 14-2, and 13-3 respectively. I don't recall fans "losing interest" because the 9ers were playing 'on such a different level'.

http://www.sf49ers.com/history/alltime_results.php

Now how about them Cowboys?

Dallas 1992 World Champions 16-3, Superbowl 52-17
Dallas 1993 World Champions 15-4, Superbowl 30-13
Dallas 1995 World Champions 15-4, Superbowl 27-17

Notice that these dynasties won the majority of their Superbowl games in blowouts (14 point or greater margin) along with having dominant records during the regular season. Why don't you be honest about what you're trying to say? You want to say the Patriots winning is 'bad for football' because fans will 'lose interest'. What you really mean is that you will 'lose interest' because you don't like to see the Patriots winning. However histroy clearly shows that previous dynasties have had dominant seasons before, including blowout Superbowl wins, and there is no empirical evidence to show that it did anything to diminish fan interest in football!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys

Or perhaps you're just a hypocrite much like Steve Young who has a selective memory about the blowouts he participated in as a QB for the 49ers while at the same time criticizing the Pats for running up the score!!

1992 – San Fran 56, Atlanta 17
1992 – San Fran 41, Atlanta 3
1994 – San Fran 42, Atlanta 3
1994 – San Fran 50, Atlanta 14

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1797&Category=11

Last edited:

I think you're getting a little carried away. I doubt anyone on the Pats really cares that much.

If they did, it would be a bad sign. They'd be emotionally exhausted by the time the SB comes around in 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes