Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hey NEM...check this out...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ELOrocks17, Mar 29, 2006.

1. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

My god, our country really is becoming fascist. The poor kid. He's a victim of the vindictive and sadistic right-wing that never wants to spend money to help people, but is always willing to spend the extra buck to punish people. There's a large part of the right-wing that is mentally ill, and the scary part, they're the ones who keep putting our troops in harm's way.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Patters, the kid sent the president a specific threat (it's specific because he made threat knowing Bush would be in the area). He's 13, so he's old enough to know right from wrong. He's not a victim here. I assume (by which I mean I hope) that they'll reduce his charge to a misdermeanor, make him do some community service, and he'll get off as long as he promises not to get into any more trouble. If they actually prosecute him as a terrorist and look for a prison term, THEN I'll agree with you about the fascist thing here.

By the way, I don't disagree we're turning into a fascist state, just that this isn't an example of it.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I don't agree, Pujo. He's just a kid, and while he might have understood what he was doing, he probably had no idea of the consequences. Right now, if you're Arab or Arabic looking, you might be stopped by the police and might even be taken in by the police. The Homeland Security crew shows up all over the place, if I'm to believe newspaper reports, investigating and intimidating people. Remember, Pujo, most people in even a fascist state are not victims of that state. Most people do just fine. Oppressive governments go after minorities and react strongly to sometimes minor offenses. I don't think we are fascist, but we're certainly less free than we once were. Our email is searched, our searches are searched, our library activities are checked, and much more is going on. These are small steps in a bad direction.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Forget the bad direction we're headed in (we are), I'm just talking about this one case.

Nobody ever had to tell me, but somehow I knew at that age (and for a few years before) that if you threaten somebody there will be consequences. Doubly so if they happen to be the President. The kid is thirteen, that's not really a kid anymore.

When they set up "free speech" zones to pen protesters into, I scream fascist. When people get arrested or ejected from public events for wearing anti-Bush t-shirts or waving anti-Bush signs, I cry fascist. But when an intelligent kid sends a threat to the President, he needs to be punished in some way.

What did he think was going to happen??
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

A lot of kids are kids at 13, especially if they've been protected from the darker side of the internet and the world. The kid probably should have been dragged into a police station and scared ****less, and that would be the end of the matter. But, to press charges is just too extreme. They didn't even find any additional evidence in his home. He was probably really pissed off at Bush and wrote something stupid. It must happen a lot. Don't you think Clinton got a lot of threats from zealous children of righties? I think the authorities are harming the kid, wasting their time, and wasting taxpayers dollars.
  8. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't think this thing is going to go to trial. They ARE scaring the crap out of him.

Like I said, though, if I'm wrong and this kid goes on trial for making terrorist threats, that would be fascistic.
  9. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well you are wrong making this a right/left...Bush/Clinton thing. If you are stupid enough to make such a specific threat against the POTUS you will be contacted by the Secret Service. The POTUS does not have a say nor does any other section of the government. Regarding the security of the POTUS the Secret Service has the FINAL say. I have observed 2 cases personally with these type of things with two of our Presidents. One for Clinton which I forget the details since it wasn't my call at the time. (they took that guy away) The other was my partners call so I know more details and was against Bush early in his first term (they didn't take that guy away as he was about 23 cards short of a full deck and he made no specific threats and absoltley had no way to carry them out).

Oh and I really haven't met a 13 year old in this day and age that DOESN'T know the difference between right and wrong, why does someone need to know the setencing guidelines for them NOT to do something they know is wrong?
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Does anyone know what the threat was, specifically, or does that become classified? I could understand if it does. The word "threat" has come to mean something different these days than it did back in my day. When I was a teenager, when I heard "I'm gonna kill you", it usually came from my father when I really f'd up. Now he'd have DSS on his arse if he said it.
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Bush has built his whole politic on fear, so in that way it is a left or right issue. I think we need a little normalcy in this country, and we need to kick the paranoids out. We keep reading about all sorts of tests that expose major security weaknesses in our ports and borders. (Most recently, officials smuggled in materials with which to build a dirty bomb.) So, it's pretty damn obvious that the fear pushers are full of it. Sure the world is a dangerous place, and we must be careful, but 13 year old boys who send threatening letters to the president are not a danger. We need a sense of balance, and should stop buying into what the fear-pushers tell us.
  12. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

AGAIN, it is NOT Bush. The Secret Service investigates all of these incidents and takes them ALL seriously PERIOD. It does not matter who is in office their procedures have not changed one bit since Bush has been in. Not sure how you dove tailed into border issues. Do you think 13 year olds are capable of killing someone? Just in case you think "little Johnny" couldn't do something terrible it happens all the time.