PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hey Josh McDaniels, can we please end the Danny Woodhead experiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's not used more as a pass receiver, I don't see what he adds, really.

Woodhead has been an extremely valuable asset since he arrived. If you are expecting the same production as in the past, it might look dissappointing. This offense is vastly different from the spread/no-huddle we had been seeing. Those monster lanes Woody had are not gonna be there as often, but as seen during his called back TD run, if he gets space, he is tough to get down. When the draw plays are there, that is where he excels. Continue with the experiment!

Last edited:
I expect to see Vereen to eat into Woody's snaps. Hopefully that happens this week. Vereen is faster, bigger, and catches the ball better...oh and he can break more tackles.

Until Vareen is actually able to be healthy and on the field for any meaningful stretch of time (let alone ANY time at all), the Woody "experiment" absolutely MUST continue, and probably needs to expand to keep Ridley fresh.

I expect to see Vereen to eat into Woody's snaps. Hopefully that happens this week. Vereen is faster, bigger, and catches the ball better...oh and he can break more tackles.

That's if Vereen is able to even see the field without being put on IR for a cornea scratch.

:bricks:

Woodhead has been an extremely valuable asset since he arrived. If you are expecting the same production as in the past, it might look dissappointing. This offense is vastly different from the spread/no-huddle we had been seeing. Those monster lanes Woody had are not gonna be there as often, but as seen during his called back TD run, if he gets space, he is tough to get down. When the draw plays are there, that is where he excels. Continue with the experiment!

Tough to get down?

That's if Vereen is able to even see the field without being put on IR for a cornea scratch.

:bricks:

The guy had somebody roll up his ankle. Seriously, WTF? Maybe you should be dogging AH, he can't seem to get through a season without getting sand in his vag.

The guy had somebody roll up his ankle. Seriously, WTF? Maybe you should be dogging AH, he can't seem to get through a season without getting sand in his vag.

I wish there was a sarcasm smiley. I guess the "ton of bricks" one didn't do it.

He was in the running for SB MVP if they had won.

I don't want to completely eliminate Woody, but 9 touches per game is too much for him. I think they are really trying to keep Ridley fresh, so they are probably leaning on him a little more than they should. Hopefully Vereen can come in and take over some of Woody's snaps. If think ~80 touches for the year is about in the right range for Woody. 250-300 for Ridley and 100-150 for Vereen.

I hope we throw it to the RBs a lot more than we have the last few years. I'd love to see Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead all with at least 20 receptions. They can all make things happen in the screen game and on swing routes.

Woodhead is a 3rd down back he comes in on passing downs he is averaging 7 att per game and Ridley is averageing almost 20 att per game i dont see a problem here u have to change it up

Woodhead is a 3rd down back he comes in on passing downs he is averaging 7 att per game and Ridley is averageing almost 20 att per game i dont see a problem here u have to change it up

The problem is that he's only generating 19 yards/g with those 7 atts.

Woodhead has touched the ball 15 times (14 runs and 1 reception) in 2 games for a total of 50 yards (38 yards running, 12 yards receiving). It would look significantly better had his 32 yard scamper not been negated by the bogus holding call..

It would be much better to say that the OFFENSE is only generating 19 yards per game on those 7 attempts since the O-line hasn't been that great. Especially last game.

i understand what your saying but someone has to get dose other 5 to 10 att per game and i dont know whats up with Vereen or the other backs

2 games is surely a big enough sample size. Cut him and bring in Adam Seward and then have Edelman take his 7 carries.

IF Vereen can ever get healthy and contribute, it's possible he could fight for some of Woodhead's snaps. But Bolden isn't a great 3rd down / hurry-up back, and unless you want Ridley burnt out by week 12 getting 100% of the RB snaps, Woodhead is going to have to play some. Personally, I like the kid and think he'll be fine once the O-Line gets closer to what it should be. Don't write him off after 2 games when he's had 2 productive years for us prior to that.

IF Vereen can ever get healthy and contribute, it's possible he could fight for some of Woodhead's snaps. But Bolden isn't a great 3rd down / hurry-up back, and unless you want Ridley burnt out by week 12 getting 100% of the RB snaps, Woodhead is going to have to play some. Personally, I like the kid and think he'll be fine once the O-Line gets closer to what it should be. Don't write him off after 2 games when he's had 2 productive years for us prior to that.

He had one productive year and one 'meh' year. Year three is starting out as 'meh'. That's a bad sign.

He had one productive year and one 'meh' year. Year three is starting out as 'meh'. That's a bad sign.

His numbers dropped a bit, but I don't think a 4.6 YPC, plus 18 catches is a "meh" year for a player who was suddenly splitting time with two new RB's in Ridley and Vereen (who both saw snaps last year) and an offense that suddenly found itself with two TE's who caught everything, including one who had an unprecedented, record breaking season. He's had two productive seasons for his position.

His numbers dropped a bit, but I don't think a 4.6 YPC, plus 18 catches is a "meh" year for a player who was suddenly splitting time with two new RB's in Ridley and Vereen (who both saw snaps last year) and an offense that suddenly found itself with two TE's who caught everything, including one who had an unprecedented, record breaking season. He's had two productive seasons for his position.

His numbers dropped a significantly.

touches: 131 > 95
YFS: 926 > 508
YPC: 5.6 > 4.6
YPR: 11.1 > 8.7
TDs: 6 > 1

I thought it was 'meh'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24