Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hey, Cute Babies, Are You Ready To Pay 84 of Your Lifetime Earnings?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Apr 14, 2010.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

No joke.
    Way to go, guys. (This was before slo-mo, single-payer, socialized medicine was passed 21 March 2010, a day that will live in infamy for American patriots.)

Our social welfare programs are clearly unsustainable. No one doubts that, which is almost more surprising to me. I wonder what the Founding Fathers, those racist gun nuts who knew how to speak and write Standard English, would think of us today.

We have grown to love security more than liberty.

Things are about to get very interesting. Pay off your debts, even your mortgage (etymology, "dead pledge"). Don't bother building up a nest egg. We're going to see rapid inflation in a few years' time. Jobs will become increasingly scarce. People will have to learn the old-fashioned lessons of relying on themselves to make a living. Or family or friends.

Imagine that. I'd mention stocking up on guns, bullets, and food, but that would make some people here too excited.

2. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe if they made abortions illegal, there would be more babies to spread it around!

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

That and more prisoners, welfare, educational costs etc.. unintended consequences..

4. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You saying that abortions are better to "trim the herd" of certain populations?

5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Spend some time reading "Freakonomics".. it makes a compelling argument. There are many unwanted babies, unwanted children, unwanted teenagers who enter into various systems and tax them significantly.. it is what it is.

The one thing that we do know is that young adults who are cared for by parents who want them probably will be more successful and be less dependent, as opposed to those children who are unwanted, beaten or not well cared for.

6. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

No, Darryl, that was the weakest part of that wonderful book. Journalist Steve Sailer tore the abortions-lowered-crime argument to pieces, showing it to be methodologically flawed. Even one of the Chicago dailies realizes it.

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

It may be torn apart, but it makes sense.. unwanted babies are a burden to society, like it or not.. adoption is not the answer as most agencies are flooded with disabled or teen age children.. the whole adoption thing is one of those " warm and fuzzy" feel good things. The reality is that there are not a lot of young moms who want to initially give up a baby, and many times wait. Many of these moms have poor prenatal care, or none at all.. many kids enter the system as abused or neglected, the damage is many times done.. there are less families who are willing to take a child with "emotional" "educational" or "medical" baggage... sorry but these are the facts of life.

Look at the penchant for international adoption, what is on sale in the US are a lot of kids with issues... so parents want to mail order for a brand new baby, there are studies that have shown a correlation between in utero rejection and significant developmental problems...

Have to remember that it was a POV an argument so to speak, not empirically proven..

When I worked in corrections, can count on two fingers the number of intact, mainstream or what most of us view as normal families.. the reality is prisons are full of young men and women who are unwanted, "mistakes" or collateral damage from the war on drugs.. when I worked in Child Welfare abused babies and children never came from loving families who wanted children..

8. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

I respect your experience, DarrylS. It makes me think the most dangerous thing for a community is the unwed teenage mother. Much worse than guns.

9. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 20 / -20

#75 Jersey

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You're right and thankfully I just bought my house with a 4.75% mortgage AND I'll finally get the tax write-off I've been missing!

....unless they change those laws too.:mad:

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

That's sort of a blanket statement, isn't it? Unwed teen mothers, given the proper help and support and some decent motivation don't raise bad chidren - however, if left to their own devices, without any recourse, it does make it harder for them to succeed - but it's not an automatic given that they will fail.

12. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +357 / 7 / -4

Funny thing is, that applies equally to Dems and Republicans, just in different ways.

Those two things are contradictory. If you expect substantial inflation, why would you pay off your debts before it comes?

Hell, if you could guarantee me drastic inflation, I'd be borrowing all I could and going on a buying spree. My real estate, gold, cars, furniture, art, TVs, etc. all would be bought at pennies on the dollar.

13. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +357 / 7 / -4

He didn't say that every baby raised by an unwed teen mother would become a problem, just that they're the most dangerous thing.

That's debatable, but they're two different things.

(Same goes for guns -- a gun isn't inherently a problem, though it's arguable that guns are the most dangerous thing for a community. (Personally, I disagree... but that's irrelevant.)

14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 20 / -20

#75 Jersey

Exactly. I don't think State truly thought it out when he encouraged people paying off their mortgages.

I tell all my clients that, if they can afford the mortgage, get as long a fixed rate as possible. If there were 99 year fixed rate mortgages at 5% or less, I would grab those.

People are going to make a killing having long-term low fixed rate mortgages when inflation starts up over the next several years.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010