Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hey Al Sharpton, does this outrage you?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Apr 26, 2010.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

'Lily-White' Tebow a Nazi? Shades of Imus in Boston Radio Jock's Slander -- NFL FanHouse

You know I almost posted about lightening up in the Jewish joke thread but you know what? There is a double standard whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Personally I don't get upset at these kinds of jokes and concede that sometimes they are in poor taste, but let's stop with the over-the-top outrage and wanting everyone fired over jokes.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

Nazi is a heinous term and should be treated as such, but "nappy headed ho's" is very offensive..

Not sure why you are brining Al Sharpton into the equation, maybe someone from a christian group or a jewish group may want to advocate for some good old fashioned street justice.. but that is not Sharpton's gig.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Did you read the article? This is why Sharpton was brought up:

Now if you are looking for contoversy then there's plenty of bigoted stuff to chew on in there. I was amused the other day when it seemed like we were all trying to distance ourselves from or at least aoplogize for which news organization had the most white people in it.

I think the reporter was just trying to be funny but who knows, maybe he wanted get famous? I think Imus was trying to be funny and no minority, majority or anyone escaped his routines. I admit that some of it could be hurtful to some but lets be consistant and lets stop splitting hairs on who gets to be outraged and who has to just suck it up.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

You are misreading the post, the quotes from Sharpton are relation to what Imus said not what Toucher said... may wish to reread it.

Do not think that this is Sharpton's baileywick, more appropo for a christian evangelical or a jewish advocate..

Best news I heard in a long time was that Toucher and Rich, passed D & C in the ratings, do not like them all that much, but better than the AM political show.. at least they talk sports.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

In the Racist, Bigotorial Business it all depends on who's dog is getting kicked, the Double Standard is overwhelmingly against "the white bastard".

Don Imus was a fool to think that he could joke about Minorities and get away with it.

Racial Joking is only acceptible if delivered by Minority Comedians then they are considered "hilarious".

Warning To Celebrity's "Always Remember Imus" stay away from it, one short sentence could ruin your life.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I know. What my point is for Al and Al's apologists(not saying you are one) is that he should be chiming in on this if he wants to be consistant. That it’s not his shtick is not an excuse in my book so long as he thinks he can look into someone’s soul and can tell the difference between a joke and real bigotry. At the same time though I don’t think the Imus joke, this joke or the Jewish joke should get anyone fired. Sharpton should keep his mouth shut on this just as he should have on the Imus incident. I brought this up to show a double standard. It wasn’t meant to be all about Sharpton
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

If it was not about Sharpton, you should have chosen a different title for the thread... as you did, it is about him.

This may or may not be a big story, but right now it looks like it is exclusive to the blogosphere... right now Sharpton is in Nevada getting involved in that mess.. the protest should come from a Jewish or Christian spokesman/advocate..
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Has Big Al paid off the suit he lost for falsely accusing S Pagones of raping Tawana Brawley?
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

For a mod, you are becoming a bigger tool each and every day, you obviously did not read the thread, even though the author wanted it to be about Sharpton it is not...

You should read it before you start to salivate and act all rightie pavlovian..
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Yes, he did. 9 years ago in 2001. Any more questions you should know the answers to before you ask?
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Last I heard he hadn't paid a penny, got a link for that claim?
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I had that coming I guess and I should have chosen a different title because it masks my point. Sharpton was just the obvious target for illustration. I also do not think it's a big story which is part of my point. It always seems to be though when the joke isn't on a white guy. Why? Lets not kid ourselves. Liberal white media and liberal whites were all over the Imus remarks too so the theory that only members of whatever group that might be offended can protest doesn't fly in my opinion. Either both are big stories or both are not. The fact is when it goes against a "lily white guy" it just will never get the legs to spread.

It's been said here regularly that it's funny that white conservatives can talk among themselves and decide what racism is...as if we know. Perhaps, but we also always have white liberals here lecturing conservatives about what racism is....as if they know.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Of course I do. Unlike yourself, I don't make up sh!t off the top of my head and I wouldn't have said it if I didn't have proof.

In 1998, Pagones was awarded $345,000 (he sought $395 million) through a lawsuit for defamation of character that he had brought against Sharpton, Maddox and Mason. The jury found Sharpton liable for making seven defamatory statements about Pagones, Maddox for two and Mason for one. The jury deadlocked on four of the 22 statements over which Pagones had sued and eight statements were found non-defamatory.[26] In a later interview, Pagones said the turmoil by the accusations of Brawley and her advisers had cost him his first marriage and much personal grief.[27]

Pagones had also sued Brawley. She defaulted by not appearing at the trial and the judge ordered her to pay him damages of $185,000. As of 2003, none of the award had been paid.[28] The $65,000 portion of the judgment assigned to Al Sharpton was paid for him in 2001 by supporters, including renowned attorney Johnnie L. Cochran Jr. plus former businessman Earl G. Graves, Jr.[29][30]

Tawana Brawley rape allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

IOW Al paid nothing his 'supporters' paid.

So Big Al is a mooch in addition to being a liar and race pimp who doesn't pay his debts.
  15. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Sharpton needs to join Jesse Jackson and form a group that spread their hatred around. What a couple of arrogant, racist morons!
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Once again, I'm unsure what you mean by "he paid his supporters nothing." He owed his supporters nothing.

His debt to the man who sued him was paid, 13. Just like Sarah Palin's clothes were paid for during her run for VP - by someone else. Doesn't make either of them any less paid, does it?
  17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Sharpton didn't pay any of the money from HIS pocket. Other people paid the judgement FOR HIM.

Why do you mis quote what I say?

I said:
    You substituted:

I was replying to you claim that Al paid the judgement to Pagones. Why did you lie by intentionally misquoting, and misrepresenting what I said?

Are you alway this petty?
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +362 / 11 / -27

Now that you have completely hijacked this thread with your warped agenda.. do you have a reliable source, or is this what the guy said?????

Why do Moderators break the rules??? Thought they were supposed to be role models..
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

I apologize. I'm used to your repeated misuse of the english language and I really didn't understand what you were saying. You had no punctuation in the sentence. What you should have said, for clarity's sake was, "Al paid nothing. His supporters paid." People are left to guess what you mean when you continue to torture the english language.

Thank you for clearing it up for me and once again I am sorry for saying I did not understand and for misunderstand what I thought it might have been.

Be that as it may, the fine was paid. It makes no difference who paid it.

Are you always that petty?
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

When it comes to "Race" in this politically correct country The Double Standard Is Disgusting.

Jackson/Sharpton are no better than the KKK, if Jackson/Sharpton were white the racist bastards would be driven out of the country.