PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Heroes and Goats

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Vrabel and Colvin aren't enough outside, we have a problem, one that is easy to fix, bring one of them inside and out AD outside.

If Seymour is playing like a jag, and Green is hobbled, then we don't have anywhere near the best DL in football. We apparently are outmatched by Philly.

If Jarvis is a bit hobbled and Seymour is playing like a JAG and AD is playing ILB, the Pats' pass rush is not a mismatch vs a quality O-line, which the Iggles have. As far as blitzes, these were negated by quick passes orchestrated well by a disciplined team. Too many blitzes were to blame for early failures, which were a carbon copy of the 4th and 10 fiasco at Miami 3 years ago, when Feeley threw the winning TD. Scheme could have been better, but the answer was not more or better blitzes IMO. Playing coverage and waiting for Feeley to F up would have been wiser. By and large this worked in the 2nd half.
BTW, did you notice that the long TD to Lewis was a carbon copy of the Lewis TD in the SB vs. Dexter Reid? This game was deja vu multiple times.

If Vrabel and Colvin aren't enough outside, we have a problem, one that is easy to fix, bring one of them inside and out AD outside.

If Seymour is playing like a jag, and Green is hobbled, then we don't have anywhere near the best DL in football. We apparently are outmatched by Philly.

I don't believe we are "outmatched", if you are being sarcastic. When the Philly O-line is healthy, they tend to manhandle even solid D-lines. Our D-line did a creditable job vs. the run, something few teams have managed vs. Westbrook. Dean Peas is just as good a coach now as he was after game 1, when you wanted him promoted to Head coach.

I think I once said that Pees would be a better choice for HC than someone from outside, since dante had little interest in being HC.

I think the linebackers and Wilfork stopped Westbrook.

My point is indeed sarcastic. I do indeed think that our DL is among the best in the NFL, and I do NOT think Seymour is playing like a jag. The DE's were made to look bad through poor scheming, and by the lack of defensive adjustments.

I don't we believe that we should have stopped the pressure. Feeley would have made many more mistakes, and it is unlikely that he would have scored more than 28.

I don't believe we are "outmatched", if you are being sarcastic. When the Philly O-line is healthy, they tend to manhandle even solid D-lines. Our D-line did a creditable job vs. the run, something few teams have managed vs. Westbrook. Dean Peas is just as good a coach now as he was after game 1, when you wanted him promoted to Head coach.

First, the Goats:

--The entire defense
--Josh McDaniels/Bill Belichick for that ridiculous offense
--Laurence Maroney for pissing of the coaches and making them resort to a ridiculous offense
--Matt Light and Nick Kaczur for turnstile blocking
--Randall Gay played a very poor game
--No pressure from the defensive line
--The refs not only called a bogus OPI on Moss, they called Ghost's FG incorrectly. Replays showed that it was in.

Heroes:

--Asante Samuel
--Wes Welker
--Tom Brady
--Adalius Thomas did an excellent job in containing and limiting Westbrook

How in the world did we win?

Like the Colts game - lots of things stacked against us, but we got the ball 1 too many times to lose.

I have to put Ellis Hobbs in the down category. He seems to have struggled in coverage a few games this year - I don't know if he's not getting adequate help over the top, but it seems like every intermediate to long pass is on him. He's giving guys huge cushions and not closing. Again, maybe there's something I'm missing, but otherwise, he definitely was a weak spot last nite.

Last edited:
Moss gets hero status, too. Even though he was shut down, his presence and being constantly double-teamed and watched opened up the underneath routes for Welker to have a gigantic game.

but u cant argue seymour isnt playing like hes getting paid to play either...i dont know wuts up with him...

also, our backfield is not bad, it was just outcoached last night...Pees deserves most of the fault, the front seven the rest....i cant believe the non pressure we had agaisnt AJ, it was despicable the time he had to throw...

we tried blitzing from the sides, we should have cahnged that to the inside...our offense did good, not like its supposed to do however throuogh the first 10 games of the season...

the gameplan was defenetely wierd...

i hate the spread offense now...we dotn need it...why cant we just go into the I formation? have maroney back there all the time...and 3 wr with Watson...

we need to be a power team now, we have the personnel...the coaches are still making us be an adjusting team...we dont need to adjust so much this year, we need to show power a little more...

our Oline deseves the worst of the blame...pass protection was awful...and they suckced at run blocking all year, but his game especially...

i feel for maroney...not even LT can run behind our line right now

I think I once said that Pees would be a better choice for HC than someone from outside, since dante had little interest in being HC.

I think the linebackers and Wilfork stopped Westbrook.

My point is indeed sarcastic. I do indeed think that our DL is among the best in the NFL, and I do NOT think Seymour is playing like a jag. The DE's were made to look bad through poor scheming, and by the lack of defensive adjustments.

I don't we believe that we should have stopped the pressure. Feeley would have made many more mistakes, and it is unlikely that he would have scored more than 28.

I don't think we're disagreeing on much, and sorry about the low blow. That was uncalled for. As for Seymour, I just keep waiting for the monster of 2003 to reemerge, when he earned his rep. We haven't seen him apply much QB pressure yet, though he flashed it vs. Indy early. Since then he's been pretty quiet. Hopefully the best is yet to come.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes