PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez signs for four years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Hernandez as an h-back could indeed be part of a stronger run offense.

That's possible, but unlikely. If all three tight ends are healthy, Hernandez is going to be the weakest blocker of the group. Since the team's not likely to go with three tight ends on the field very often, any time Hernandez is in the game will mean that the blocking for a run defense will be weaker, almost by definition.

As I've mentioned in the past, and I've been wondering about for some time, why did the Patriots ultimately sign Justin Rogers to a three-year deal? [And, for that matter, why did Rogers accept the concomitant signing bonus reduction?]
They go hand in hand. Sorter deal, smaller signing bonus. Since the patriots almost always go for longer deals, I would assume that Rogers wanted to be tied up for less time and took a lesser signing bonus to do it.

Bad move. Not as bas as Guss Scott's numbness (refusing to sign and playing on a year to year rookie minimum with no sb); both Guss and Justin should have grabbed all the Patriot $$$ he could up front.

Just dont see him seeing the field that much. Gronk is likely to be TE1, with Crumpler as a blocker.

Since when have the Pats run 2TE sets?

Where have you been? The Pats ran many 2 TE sets when they had Graham and Fauria as the TEs in 2003. They also ran them in 2004, 2005, and 2006 with Graham and Watson before Graham's departure.

To me, it was clear they were hoping to get back to it last year with their signing of Baker and the addition of Alex Smith and then the guy from the Giants. Clearly it didn't happen.

My brother-in-law who grew up in Gainesville, went to UF, and keeps up with the football team pretty hardcore, warned me not to get too excited about Hernandez. He said he was pretty dumb and basically ran only a couple of routes (albeit successfully) while he was in UF. He said he'll have trouble with our complicated passing scheme.

He also said that Spikes will disappear in games and will not be a consistent performer.

He did say we hit the jackpot on Cunningham and he will be a stud.

He's right on all points.

3 thoughts here:

Taking some of the slot action away from Welker\Edelman?

And havent stats shown that spread\shot\pistol formations are becoming less and less effective?

And arent we more likely to play a more grounded attack this year???

There is a "SLOT" on either side of the field. They could easily have Hernandez and Welker out there. Just that Hernandez would start off in motion. It's about creating match-ups.

The "Spread" sure looked effective last year with Brady throwing for more yards than any other except 2007. Just because Hernandez is on the field, it doesn't mean they are running the spread.

Yes, the Pats should have a better running game this year with Crumpler, Gronkowski and Vollmer as the starting RT. That being said, just because the Pats intend to run more it doesn't mean that Hernandez won't be used. In fact, quite the opposite. A good running game will set up the Play-action and Hernandez down the seam could be account for some nice gains.

I think the Patriots can use their 2 TE set and also throw Hernandez out in the slot like the Colts do with Clark. He'll be a versatile TE I think.

I think the Patriots can use their 2 TE set and also throw Hernandez out in the slot like the Colts do with Clark. He'll be a versatile TE I think.

Exactly what I think. He will see more snaps in the slot than next to one of the tackles.

Well, some of the contract details are out, and the contract is a very interesting one:

The risk, on New England's end, is low. Hernandez received a $200,000 signing bonus, well short of the $508,000 bonus that Chicago's Corey Wootten, taken four picks ahead of Hernandez, reaped in his four-year deal.

Hernandez makes up the money in a series of roster bonuses ... which are each tied to Hernandez making the 53-man roster, meaning he has to get through each offseason clean to collect.....So Hernandez can wind up making more than Wootten did, but he has to play out the deal.

Patriots play cautious on Hernandez deal - Extra Points - Boston.com

Seems like an excellent deal for all parties involved. He gets the opportunits to get paid better than his draft slot, but has to earn his money. Pats get some protection in case the kid pulls a Willie Andrews or Ben Rapistbergher.

Hernandez is one of the players I'm most excited about as well. He just needs to be a competent blocker and the possibilities are endless.

Motion him from the end of the line out to the slot, motion him from the end of the line into the backfield to lead block or keep him there.

From a 2 TE set Brady can keep both TE's in against a 3-4 blitzing team, motion one out into the slot for a "hot read" or motion both out if he senses no pressure coming.

The TE is becoming such a valuable position. If you get 2 TE's who are competent at both blocking and catching you can constantly create matchups in your favor. Let's hope we hit home runs with both TE selections.

Me, too. It was interesting that he was on the field with the no huddle offense during OTA. Shows he knows the plays and routes already.

I'm looking for a big year from out TEs for the first time in a long time.

3 thoughts here:

Taking some of the slot action away from Welker\Edelman?
I don't know that he will take touches from Wleker/Edelman, but if he does, GREAT. You make it sound like a bad thing to have a player so good he takes touches away from Welker.

And havent stats shown that spread\shot\pistol formations are becoming less and less effective?
You mean the formation the Colts and Saints rode to the superbowl? Again, though, it is not a bad thing to have a quality TE, no matter what formation you run.

And arent we more likely to play a more grounded attack this year???
Let's see. What did we add in passing game vs running game?
Added receivers:
3 TEs (Crumpler, Gronk, Hernandez
3 WRs (Holt, Price, Patten,)
2 receivers off of IR (Welker, Tate)

RBs:
Same ones as last year except for UDFA from a second tier school.

Hmmm. I'd say the signs do not point toward a move toward de-emphasizing the Running game
We'll have to wait until TC to see, of course.

Last edited:
How many rookies can they sign before they have to cut somebody? Three, four, five?

How many rookies can they sign before they have to cut somebody? Three, four, five?

They have 75 players under contract, so five.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes