PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez out on Sunday vs. Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dowling is glass...i don't put hernandez in that category
I'm only proposing that others are put into that category because of their perceived lesser talent. Hernandez is a gun but I'm becoming concerned with his durability.

I hope he can stay fit because he's a match up nightmare, even more so than Gronk given the flexibility he affords the Patriots.

I guess thats why Shiancoe was activated.

When Hernandez is healthy, do they keep all 5 of the TE's?

If he's not glass yet, he's a bucket of sand and cullet that's waiting on a high-temperature furnace.

A teammate fell on Hernandez's ankle and bent it so badly that some people in the forum at the time were worried about it being broken. It's not like he popped a hammie running wide open on a pass route or something like that.

This is Hernandez' third season. He only managed to play 14 games in each of his first two seasons. Tomorrow, he'll already be missing his fifth game of this season. He also missed games in both 2008 and 2009 (college, I'm not counting games not played in his first college season). If he's not glass yet, he's a bucket of sand and cullet that's waiting on a high-temperature furnace.

Meh. He suffers a hip injury in Dec vs GB in 2010 but plays vs the Jets in the playoffs. Hurts his knee vs Chargers, misses a couple of games but goes on to have a great year and has the ankle sprain this year.

If you want to label him a fragile fine, but that would put Dowling and Chung in a far more fragile catagory.

Last edited:
The comments on injuries to players never cease to amaze me. Makes me wonder if some fans every played the game,been around the game at any level, or just rely on baseball knowledge to form football opinions. :eek:

I agree, Hernandez seems to get a free pass on the injury front while other players are called names. Pretty inconsistent treatment.

A teammate fell on Hernandez's ankle and bent it so badly that some people in the forum at the time were worried about it being broken. It's not like he popped a hammie running wide open on a pass route or something like that.

A teammate didn't FALL on Hernandez's ankle. Edelman was TACKLED into Hernandez. There is a huge difference.

One of the reasons that the media isn't expecting Hernandez to play is because Shiancoe was activated. Well, I saw it mentioned only briefly and it was swept aside, but Shiancoe was going to be activated now or by Thursday since his 3 weeks were up. The Pats needed to fill a roster spot since they had one open. Otherwise, they'd lose Matt Kopa off the practice squad since he's in his third year of PS eligibility.

The comments on injuries to players never cease to amaze me. Makes me wonder if some fans every played the game,been around the game at any level, or just rely on baseball knowledge to form football opinions. :eek:

I agree. Football or any sport. Injuries are a part of the picture and there are no supermen. The injuries that make me crazy are the weird ones caused by steroids and HGH - muscles tearing away from bones, torn large muscles, etc.

Knees, ankles, turf toe, achilles tendons, shoulders, hip pointers - all weak spots that don't signify anything about a player's toughness. These guys have loads of wear and tear coming into the pros. It's unfair to denigrate a player because of injury.

Hernandez is one tough dude. And 1) I would not be surprised if he plays today - he practiced all week, and 2) if he does not, it's not that big a deal. He's much more important to this team on Thanksgiving Day against the Jets. I want a big turkey dinner and a bigger Patriots margin of victory.

Last edited:
I don't mind this. This year we have scored an average of 39.5 points a game when he isn't playing and 28.6 points when he is playing. I'm counting arizona in neither because he had no stats and went down early. He was in the gameplan and clearly the offense froze after he went down.

Heck, you could apply that comment to just about everything Patriots related. Coaching, drafting, schemes, play calling, etc.. By now it should be evident that there are numerous potential HOF football minds that reside on this board and those individuals just haven't been fortunate enough to actually get a job in the NFL.

Meh. He suffers a hip injury in Dec vs GB in 2010 but plays vs the Jets in the playoffs. Hurts his knee vs Chargers, misses a couple of games but goes on to have a great year and has the ankle sprain this year.

If you want to label him a fragile fine, but that would put Dowling and Chung in a far more fragile catagory.

Why are we using a double standard here? It's not just one injury that gets people talking about "made of glass". It's a pattern. In this case, Hernandez hasn't played a full season of football since at least as far back as high school (although I'm not checking all his missed college games for reasons, since this really isn't an issue of particular importance). Given that he just signed a long-term contract extension, his succeptibility to injury is something to watch going forward.

The guy's a quality player. He's also prone to missing games. I hope that changes for him, because racking up the injuries early can take a long term toll.

Last edited:
Rest him until he's 100% - no problem with it, frankly the only thing that I mind in all of this is that it appears that the Pats may have tried to rush him back before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes