PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez back against Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

Virtual Internet Person
Reaction score
On Sportscenter this morning, Chris Berman stated categorically that Aaron Hernandez _will_ be back this Thursday against the Jets, and Tom Jackson repeated that assertion later in the same segment. They may just be assuming or they may have heard something definite - neither backed up the assertion with a source (or even said "according to sources").

However, if it's true it will partially offset the loss of Gronk. No one can really replace the Gronk as an all-around tight end and he is certainly not as good a blocker but I think Hernandez is probably his equal or nearly so as a receiver and is a great YAC guy, so that would be good news.

If Hernandez isn't good to go, I don't want to see them forcing the issue. I'd roll with Fells/Shiancoe until Aaron is ready. We need both TEs healthy for our playoff run. At this point, I don't even care if we get a bye of not, if we get to the playoffs with Gronk, Hernandez, Chandler Jones, Mankins and Connoly healthy, we'll be as dangerous as any team in the NFL. Save those guys, get'em healthy.

Hopefully he'll be available.

per rotoworld:

According to the Boston Globe, Aaron Hernandez (ankle) is expected to return on Thanksgiving night against the Jets.
Per reliable beat reporter Greg Bedard, the Patriots held Hernandez out of Sunday's win over the Colts only because the recovery time (soreness, swelling) likely would have been too short with a Thursday night game next on the slate. Hernandez has practiced in "limited" fashion the past two weeks, so he's appeared close to playing. On Thanksgiving, the Pats could use Michael Hoomanawanui or Daniel Fells at Rob Gronkowski's (broken forearm) "Y" tight end position. Visanthe Shiancoe is Hernandez's backup at the "F" tight end spot.

SMY stating on morning radio that the plan was for AHern to skip the Indy game and be ready for the Jests on Turkey day

I dont want to see us get a bye. I understand the rest factor, but the rust factor scares me more. seems lately that teams without the bye are more apt to win the SB. I think we we're the last team in 2003 to win the sb with the leagues most wins. I think best for the Pats would be Ravens and Texans with the 1 & 2 seeds Pats #3.

Some good news.

And hopefully Gronk back in a month.

SMY stating on morning radio that the plan was for AHern to skip the Indy game and be ready for the Jests on Turkey day

Heard this as well. Seems like a done deal.

I dont want to see us get a bye. I understand the rest factor, but the rust factor scares me more. seems lately that teams without the bye are more apt to win the SB. I think we we're the last team in 2003 to win the sb with the leagues most wins. I think best for the Pats would be Ravens and Texans with the 1 & 2 seeds Pats #3.

OTOH, every single time the Patriots have made the Super Bowl under BB, they've had a bye.

With Gronk down we should be able to use AHern like Jimmy Graham...run him down the seams to clears thing out over the Middle. I think Daniel Fells is prettty fast two...hopefully he has decent hands. But with Gronk down we should field a little more speed on Offense which is needed.

I hope we don't rush Hernandez back again. We should be able to win a tough game against the Jets undermanned and give Hernandez a couple more weeks to fully heal. Will toughen the team and give others a chance to step up. The objective is to be fully healthy for the playoffs and they should be able to take care of business if they're to hoist a Lombardi this year.

I'm hearing mixed reports on AHern's return for Jets. Not really sure at this point but I hope he's not rushed back prematurely. I feel confident about Gronk comin back for playoffs at 100%, Again, Not too soon for both.

I heard it on a couple of sports talk shows, do you have an update for sure that he's playing vs Jets?

All pretty much speculation, isn't it? Til about 7 Thursday night?

Honestly, I want AHern to be at 100% and I was not crazy about him playing so soon after the injury. If he needs the rest of the regular season to make sure he's ready come playoff time, I am all for it. As I said last night, we're all but guaranteed at least a 4th seed...no point rushing these guys back. Let AHern's ankle heal, let Gronk's hip and forearm heal, and let some of the other tight ends earn their paychecks.

It's still early in the week, even for a Thurs game, but sounds like Pats TE Aaron Hernandez has a good shot to play in a limited role

la canfora

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye