Welcome to PatsFans.com

Hermosa Beach meter maids making nearly $100K?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 12, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Fuggn imagine that? All that is required is a high school diploma and the ability to write a ticket. No wonder why union members are getting fired by towns and munipalities.

And these politicians ACTUALLY try to defend paying a meter maid nearly $100k/year!!

"Bobko also wrote in a memo that the retirement costs for these 10 employees “from [fiscal year 2011-12] through their retirement age at 62 was nearly $1.6 million, and the medical costs for these employees from this fiscal year to their retirement at age 62 would be $1,353,827.” Excluding salaries, the [retirement] contributions and medical costs for the 10 employees performing parking enforcement will cost, on average, nearly $300,000 apiece.”

Hermosa Beach meter maids making nearly $100K? - Brian Calle: Uncommon Ground : The Orange County Register

2. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Yeah PR...it's about time gov't jobs started paying what the position deserves to be paid. Prolly around $40-$50k/year at most. Same goes for toll collectors!

3. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +746 / 16 / -7

#87 Jersey

I still don't understand how a tollbooth worker makes anything more than minimum wage, yet they make 60-70k.....

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Don't forget to add in the generous bennies.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

What's the problem here?

[​IMG]

6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

These are the kind of topics liberals don't want to discuss because there is no defense of these over-paid public employees.

7. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Geez PR!! No one wants to talk about em as they are simply an example or two (ie outliers) rather than representative of a larger problem! Didn't you knoooooooow?!?!

Honestly I truly can't fathom how a job where the requirements are either working legs and eyes (meter maids) or a working arm (toll booth) gets a salary above what you would get at McDs flipping burgers...as working in a kitchen requires way more talent than collecting $1.25 from a car on I-90.

Anyway, back to b!tching about tax returns.....

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't think "liberals" in Massachusetts give a rats arse what a meter maid in Hermosa Beach makes. That might have something to do with it. Your outrage is noted and watched.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +618 / 12 / -5

#24 Jersey

No one's going to "discuss it" with you, PR, because it's a rehash of numerous other "discussions" based on a faulty premise.

The $100K you are trying to pawn off as a "salary" for all meter maids is, in reality, a $92K TOTAL COMPENSATION package which only 2 supervisors receive. The other meter maid (who double as animal control officers) receive $67,367 to $84,267 in TOTAL COMPENSATION.

Now I don't have a breakdown but off-hand I'd say that when you remove health insurance, vacation, sick pay, retirement contributions, uniform allowances and the like, the actual SALARY they receive is probably in line with your allotted $40 -50K per year.

When you tell someone your income - do you tell them the yearly amount of your paycheck or do you add in all your benefits and report your total compensation as your salary?

10. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is an excellent point and one we often miss in the healthcare debate: employer-subsidized health insurance is part of a compensation package. It can runs 15%-20% of the employee salary depending on how much the employer pays for. Overall benefits can be as much as 40% of direct pay. Now, to flip this another way, what if rather than funneling the $26k a year to a family plan for health insurance, the employee received the $26k as direct compensation with the ability to stash up to $15k a year in a health savings account. Most families without serious health conditions only use about 6-8k per year (or less). Then take out a catastrophic risk plan to cover you if you're unlucky enough to contract cancer or an unpreventable disease. That would revolutionize healthcare and put the family back in control of their healthcare spending. I bet you'd see a huge shift in obesity and diabetes disease management as well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +438 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Wow wistah...now you're watching me too? Don't know if I prefer being watched by the gubmit or....WISTAH!:eek::scared:

BTW...we in Massachusetts also have over-paid meter-people and toll collectors. Wouldn't you agree Springfield...I mean, wistah?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +297 / 3 / -4

I agree witha lot of this, khayos, but not the proposition re obesity and diabetes. People who can control their obesity (the vast majority of obese, I'd wager) but fail to do so aren't acting rationally. I don't think they would suddenly act rationally for financial reasons. (Some certainly would, but I don't think it would be a substantial %)